Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Win8 and Win8 Pro on same DVD?

Last response: in Windows 8
October 13, 2012 9:41:09 PM

Does anyone know if both base and pro versions are contained on the same RTM DVD? If so, I take it that the key determines which version gets installed?

And secondly, is the DVD used for both "upgrade" keys and "non-upgrade" keys?

More about : win8 win8 pro dvd

October 15, 2012 9:30:46 PM

It depends on your media. Microsoft has lots of different media available in lots of different markets.

The downloadable media for select, technet, msdn is often combined media, but retail is usually not.
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 15, 2012 10:10:26 PM

The Technet and MSDN media is the same as what you would get in a retail store (for consumer versions of Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8). These disks do indeed have all editions of their respective OS'es on them, but are hidden by a file that Microsoft includes on the disk (ei.cfg memory serves).
Score
Related resources
October 16, 2012 5:00:51 AM

It has never been in the past, at least from my experience.
Score
October 16, 2012 5:18:29 AM

More concerning is where is the regular version of windows 8 or is it OEM only? Only thing I can find for preorder is the pro and pro pack @$69 on microsoft. Apparently there is the online only upgrade coming for $39.99 but no details and no preorder for that available...

Well find out on the 26th I guess :/ 
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 16, 2012 5:27:30 AM

floepie said:
Does anyone know if both base and pro versions are contained on the same RTM DVD? If so, I take it that the key determines which version gets installed?

And secondly, is the DVD used for both "upgrade" keys and "non-upgrade" keys?

It depends on the media.

There's a configuration file in some the ISO which selects the edition by default. If you delete it you will be presented with a choice of which edition to install. The server editions do not have this configuration file.

As far as I know, Windows 8 Enterprise (volume licensing only) has ei.cfg, Windows 8 Pro (technet/MSDN) does not. I haven't checked server 12 yet.
Score
October 16, 2012 5:45:03 AM

Even though I have 3 keys for Windows 8 Pro RTM I think i'm going to hold off using as a primary operating system for a couple of months since I saw during the install that driver support is pretty bad atm for onboard devices and such on the motherboard. I don't think both versions will be on the same media since Dreamspark has different ISO's for each version of windows 8.
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 16, 2012 5:48:32 AM

mightymaxio said:
Even though I have 3 keys for Windows 8 Pro RTM I think i'm going to hold off using as a primary operating system for a couple of months since I saw during the install that driver support is pretty bad atm for onboard devices and such on the motherboard. I don't think both versions will be on the same media since Dreamspark has different ISO's for each version of windows 8.

A lot of drivers for Windows 7 won't need to be updated for Windows 8. Most of the userland stuff such as USB and sound drivers will still work just fine, the only driver API that's undergone a large overhaul is WDDM and AMD and NVidia already have WHQL drivers which work fine.
Score
October 16, 2012 9:27:57 AM

The_Prophecy said:
The Technet and MSDN media is the same as what you would get in a retail store (for consumer versions of Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8). These disks do indeed have all editions of their respective OS'es on them, but are hidden by a file that Microsoft includes on the disk (ei.cfg memory serves).

The above two sentences seem to contradict each other, or perhaps I'm confused. The Technet/MSDN media does NOT contain the ei.cfg, so you would be presented with the option to install either base or Pro, correct? However, the store-bought media and the soon-to-be-available downloaded upgrade burned to a DVD (presumably identical to store-bought version) DO have the config file, which prevents the option presentation, correct?

And, to answer my question above, any "non-upgade" keys will only apply to the full install OEM/System builders version.
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 16, 2012 1:19:24 PM

I double checked the Windows 8 Pro disk and my statement as you implied was not entirely correct. The ei.cfg file is not on the Windows 8 Pro media available on MSDN and Technet, but is on the Windows 8 Enterprise media. Apologies for the added confusion.

As with previous versions of Windows, the MSDN/TechNet media (that is specified as retail... so excluding Enterprise disks at least) should be the same as the retail boxed versions that will be available in stores in 10 days time. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would ship different disks (especially Windows 8 Pro disks) which don't have the menu hidden. After all, you are supposed to only be installing the edition you paid for, right? :) 
Score
October 16, 2012 3:34:37 PM

I assume this is not an oversight, but intended. Remember back when windows7 was launched, Microsoft had huge issues with MSDN/technet keys being resold where people would sign up for the (what was it $100? per year back then?) MSDN and just ebay their keys for cheap. Looks like they are trying to tie the keys to the accounts, making resale essentially impossible. This would include artificially limiting versions on the media.
Score
October 16, 2012 8:38:41 PM

The_Prophecy said:
I double checked the Windows 8 Pro disk and my statement as you implied was not entirely correct. The ei.cfg file is not on the Windows 8 Pro media available on MSDN and Technet, but is on the Windows 8 Enterprise media. Apologies for the added confusion.

As with previous versions of Windows, the MSDN/TechNet media (that is specified as retail... so excluding Enterprise disks at least) should be the same as the retail boxed versions that will be available in stores in 10 days time. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would ship different disks (especially Windows 8 Pro disks) which don't have the menu hidden. After all, you are supposed to only be installing the edition you paid for, right? :) 

Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand correctly, because there is only one MSDN/TechNet download available for both W8 and W8 Pro and because there is no cfg file present in the download, both versions are included in the same package, and the user is therefore presented with the option to install either one based on the key.

And, you believe that the retail W8 upgrade and W8 Pro upgrade boxed versions will also contain both W8 and W8 Pro versions on the same DVD. But, although either box will contain DVDs with both versions, the W8 boxed DVD will have one cfg file and the W8 Pro DVD will have a different cfg, so that the end user will NOT be presented with the option to install one OS or the other. Does that sound right?
Score

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
October 16, 2012 11:31:30 PM

floepie said:
And, you believe that the retail W8 upgrade and W8 Pro upgrade boxed versions will also contain both W8 and W8 Pro versions on the same DVD. But, although either box will contain DVDs with both versions, the W8 boxed DVD will have one cfg file and the W8 Pro DVD will have a different cfg, so that the end user will NOT be presented with the option to install one OS or the other. Does that sound right?

You are almost correct. The details above are correct as far as I am aware, except that the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro DVD's do *not* have an ei.cfg file present. They still differentiate the version by what key you enter, but they seem to do so via a method other than the ei.cfg file (how exactly they achieve this, I do not yet know).
October 16, 2012 11:35:55 PM

Best answer selected by floepie.
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 17, 2012 2:12:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!