windows explorer

I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a 3.5
inch floppy (A).
My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I only
given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
Mel
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer

    Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306524

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "shakey" wrote:

    |I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a 3.5
    | inch floppy (A).
    | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I only
    | given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
    | Mel

    Generalized answer. I have read them sites previously and do not remember
    them addressing THIS question.
    > Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp
    I KNOW trhat, wasn't trying to.

    > HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
    Repeat not trying to backup aznything per my post.

    > HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306524
    No mention of drives not showing.
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "shakey" wrote:
    >
    > |I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a
    > 3.5
    > | inch floppy (A).
    > | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
    > only
    > | given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
    > | Mel

    | "shakey" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
    | Message news:NOp1d.13608$54.193402@typhoon.sonic.net...
    | I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a
    | 3.5 inch floppy (A).
    |
    | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
    | only given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.

    Microsoft Windows XP gives you the option to enable CD recording for only
    one device at a time. As such, my guess is that the "Enable CD recording
    on this drive" check box is selected for your "CD-RW drive(D)" drive.

    If you enable the CD Writing Feature for your "combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E)"
    device, the Send To target should automatically change to reflect the
    selection.

    [Or at least that is what happend when I just tested your scenerio on my
    computer of similar configuration. That is, I enabled the CD Writing
    Feature for my CD-RW drive. And WinXP automagically: deselected the "Enable
    CD recording on this drive" check box on my combo DVD/CD-RW Device, and
    changed the Send To target to reflect my selection.]

    To enable or disable the CD Writing Feature run Windows Explorer,
    right-click the device and click Properties. Then click tab labled
    Recording.

    > | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
    > | only given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP gives you the option to enable CD recording for only
    > one device at a time. As such, my guess is that the "Enable CD recording
    > on this drive" check box is selected for your "CD-RW drive(D)" drive.
    >
    > If you enable the CD Writing Feature for your "combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E)"
    > device, the Send To target should automatically change to reflect the
    > selection.
    >
    > [Or at least that is what happend when I just tested your scenerio on my
    > computer of similar configuration. That is, I enabled the CD Writing
    > Feature for my CD-RW drive. And WinXP automagically: deselected the
    > "Enable
    > CD recording on this drive" check box on my combo DVD/CD-RW Device, and
    > changed the Send To target to reflect my selection.]
    >
    > To enable or disable the CD Writing Feature run Windows Explorer,
    > right-click the device and click Properties. Then click tab labled
    > Recording.

    Earlier I had gone thru them and checked both as enabled for recording
    thinking I would then be presented with a choice when I attempted to "save
    to". Mine worked exactly as you stated.
    Thank you Carrie.
    Mel

Windows Explorer CD-Rom Windows XP