Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a 3.5
inch floppy (A).
My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I only
given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
Mel

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306524

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"shakey" wrote:

|I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a 3.5
| inch floppy (A).
| My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I only
| given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
| Mel

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Generalized answer. I have read them sites previously and do not remember
them addressing THIS question.
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp
I KNOW trhat, wasn't trying to.

> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
Repeat not trying to backup aznything per my post.

> HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306524
No mention of drives not showing.
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "shakey" wrote:
>
> |I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a
> 3.5
> | inch floppy (A).
> | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
> only
> | given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
> | Mel

| "shakey" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
| Message news:NOp1d.13608$54.193402@typhoon.sonic.net...
| I have a new Dell with a CD-RW drive(D), a combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E), and a
| 3.5 inch floppy (A).
|
| My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
| only given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.

Microsoft Windows XP gives you the option to enable CD recording for only
one device at a time. As such, my guess is that the "Enable CD recording
on this drive" check box is selected for your "CD-RW drive(D)" drive.

If you enable the CD Writing Feature for your "combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E)"
device, the Send To target should automatically change to reflect the
selection.

[Or at least that is what happend when I just tested your scenerio on my
computer of similar configuration. That is, I enabled the CD Writing
Feature for my CD-RW drive. And WinXP automagically: deselected the "Enable
CD recording on this drive" check box on my combo DVD/CD-RW Device, and
changed the Send To target to reflect my selection.]

To enable or disable the CD Writing Feature run Windows Explorer,
right-click the device and click Properties. Then click tab labled
Recording.

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

> | My question is why when I use the "send to" command to save files am I
> | only given the A and D drives to select from. no E as either CD or DVD.
>
> Microsoft Windows XP gives you the option to enable CD recording for only
> one device at a time. As such, my guess is that the "Enable CD recording
> on this drive" check box is selected for your "CD-RW drive(D)" drive.
>
> If you enable the CD Writing Feature for your "combo CD-RW/DVD-RW (E)"
> device, the Send To target should automatically change to reflect the
> selection.
>
> [Or at least that is what happend when I just tested your scenerio on my
> computer of similar configuration. That is, I enabled the CD Writing
> Feature for my CD-RW drive. And WinXP automagically: deselected the
> "Enable
> CD recording on this drive" check box on my combo DVD/CD-RW Device, and
> changed the Send To target to reflect my selection.]
>
> To enable or disable the CD Writing Feature run Windows Explorer,
> right-click the device and click Properties. Then click tab labled
> Recording.

Earlier I had gone thru them and checked both as enabled for recording
thinking I would then be presented with a choice when I attempted to "save
to". Mine worked exactly as you stated.
Thank you Carrie.
Mel