DEP causes XP2 installation failure

PooBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

The DEP module in the Windows XP2 update causes the installation of XP2
to reboot the computer after the Windows screen comes up with the blue
That is the response from Microsoft support .
Computer Mainboard K7N2G , processor Athlon 2600+ Barton .
Recommendation is to follow instructions to , this is where I get to be
dumbo cause I don't know much about computers , type :
bootcfg/raw"/noexecute=alwaysoff/fastdetect'/id1
press ENTER
restart computer .
OK , that should work .
How could my computer live with that ?
Would it be comfortable or would it really need the DEP from Windows
XP2 Update ?
I understand there are other DEP's in Windows XP2 Update but would the
computer have lost something and misbehave ?
Your comments will be very very welcome .

Your computer repeatedly restarts after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878474&Product=windowsxpsp2

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Poo Bear" wrote:

| The DEP module in the Windows XP2 update causes the installation of XP2
| to reboot the computer after the Windows screen comes up with the blue
| That is the response from Microsoft support .
| Computer Mainboard K7N2G , processor Athlon 2600+ Barton .
| Recommendation is to follow instructions to , this is where I get to be
| dumbo cause I don't know much about computers , type :
| bootcfg/raw"/noexecute=alwaysoff/fastdetect'/id1
| press ENTER
| restart computer .
| OK , that should work .
| How could my computer live with that ?
| Would it be comfortable or would it really need the DEP from Windows
| XP2 Update ?
| I understand there are other DEP's in Windows XP2 Update but would the
| computer have lost something and misbehave ?
| Your comments will be very very welcome .

Hi, Poobear.

My new 64-bit mobo/CPU (EPoX 8KDA3+/AMD Athlon 64 3200+) produced the DEP
error after installing SP2. My symptoms were much less serious than
rebooting: whenever I tried to run Windows Explorer, it was blocked by a
DEP warning screen. The explanations of "why" are over my head, but an easy
edit to C:\boot.ini fixed it for me, thanks to advice from another MVP.

C:\boot.ini is a simple text file, but it is Hidden, System and Read-only.
An easy way to open it for editing is to go to System Properties | Advanced
| Startup and Recovery Settings. In the top section, click the Edit button;
this opens boot.ini in Notepad.

In boot.ini, under [operating systems], there should be a line for each
Windows installation on your computer (even if there's only one). The only
thing that needs to be changed is the final part of that line, probably
after "/FASTDETECT". Replace "/Noexecute" and any related parameter with
"/Execute". Exit Notepad, saving your change.

In my case, that was all it took. WinXP SP2 has run fine since then. As I
said, I don't understand why it's needed or why it works, so I can't advise
you to try it. It worked for me, but I thought it applied only to AMD
64-bit CPUs.

A Google search for "SP2 + DEP" produced over 7,000 hits.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The DEP module in the Windows XP2 update causes the installation of
> XP2
> to reboot the computer after the Windows screen comes up with the blue
> That is the response from Microsoft support .
> Computer Mainboard K7N2G , p
rocessor Athlon 2600+ Barton .
> Recommendation is to follow instructions to , this is where I get to be
> dumbo cause I don't know much about computers , type :
> bootcfg/raw"/noexecute=alwaysoff/fastdetect'/id1
> press ENTER
> restart computer .
> OK , that should work .
> How could my computer live with that ?
> Would it be comfortable or would it really need the DEP from Windows
> XP2 Update ?
> I understand there are other DEP's in Windows XP2 Update but would the
> computer have lost something and misbehave ?
> Your comments will be very very welcome .

PooBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Thankyou for those links to those 2 articles .
It may be a while until I understand them but at the moment I think I want
to know whether the Workaround , or any workaround is a wise option to take
if I will be removing any security features .
Would you advise anyone , like me who knows next to very little about
computering , to try the workaround and to trust the computers security
because I use the internet alot .
I think I could follow the Workaround instructions correctly and I can
reinstall Windows XP Home Edition easily .

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Your computer repeatedly restarts after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878474&Product=windowsxpsp2
>
> Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Poo Bear" wrote:
>
> | The DEP module in the Windows XP2 update causes the installation of XP2
> | to reboot the computer after the Windows screen comes up with the blue
> | That is the response from Microsoft support .
> | Computer Mainboard K7N2G , processor Athlon 2600+ Barton .
> | Recommendation is to follow instructions to , this is where I get to be
> | dumbo cause I don't know much about computers , type :
> | bootcfg/raw"/noexecute=alwaysoff/fastdetect'/id1
> | press ENTER
> | restart computer .
> | OK , that should work .
> | How could my computer live with that ?
> | Would it be comfortable or would it really need the DEP from Windows
> | XP2 Update ?
> | I understand there are other DEP's in Windows XP2 Update but would the
> | computer have lost something and misbehave ?
> | Your comments will be very very welcome .

PooBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Thankyou R C White MVP , updated drivers were not available when I
first tried to install Windows XP2 Update so after further assistance I have
updated drivers and the installation of XP2 wis now successful .
And the Google search SP2+DEP was interesting too , thankyou
Nick

TRENDING THREADS