Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose a new computer.

Last response: in Video Games
December 31, 2007 9:42:40 AM

Firstly, good morning/afternoon/evening to you all.

I only recently discovered these forums, but they seem to be home to a number of knowledgeable people, so I've decided to bring my query here.

I am currently looking to purchase a new computer. 99% of the use it sees will be gaming, and I want to do this as well as I can within the £1200 budget I've set myself. Ideally, though I realise this may be impractical, I'd like to end up with something that can run Crysis smoothly on the highest settings.

I am currently shopping at wired2fire.com, where a friend recently bought a computer which he is very happy with.

The specs I am considering are below, based on their Diablo SLI model:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion
Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio 650W
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6850 4MB cache
CPU Cooler: Standard CPU Cooler
Graphics Card 1: BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI Express
Graphics Card 2: BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI Express
Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 Twin2X
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus Socket 775
Hard Disk Drive One: 320GB Caviar SE16 SATA 300
Optical Drive One: None
Optical Drive Two: NEC 4570A DVD-RW
Sound Card: Onboard sound
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

How will this perform? Is there a better site to buy from that I have overlooked?

My apologies in advance to everyone concerned if this is in the wrong section, and please do feel free to move the thread if it is.

More about : choose computer

December 31, 2007 10:23:31 PM

Looks good, but get the 64bit version of Vista. That way it will use all of the 4GB of RAM you are purchasing.
January 1, 2008 8:15:19 AM

The only thing I would change is the 8800GT's to the 8800GTS 512MB card because of the double slot cooler on the GTS 512MB run alot cooler than the GTs do. Since you are going with the Centurion you'll need to have better cooling. The Antec 900 will serve you SO much better in keeping your temps down, remember cooling two cards in SLI requires more cooling performance. If you go with the 8800GT's in SLI at least get the Antec 900 so you can cool those little devils. You'll be rewarded with longer component life and will save you money down the road.

Systemlord, :sol: 
Related resources
January 1, 2008 9:00:42 AM

I don't think you'll be playing crysis on the highest settings with 16x aa in dx10.... but you'll be about as close as you can get with today's technology (ok, maybe ultras or gtx's would be better but....)
January 1, 2008 10:36:41 AM

Lovely, guys. Thanks for the help.

I ordered my final build. It has 64-bit Vista and a better case :wahoo: 
January 1, 2008 12:45:39 PM

enjoy it :) 
!