Sign in with
Your question

Strange cod crashing

Last response: in Video Games
January 1, 2008 10:00:02 AM

I have weird crashing problem , when i play cod4 . Sometimes my computer just freezes, and sound comes crackling, then i have to restart my comp. I think this issue is related to my soundcard.
I have turned sound eq filter off in the game , but that didnt help. And this occurs rarely , ( about 2 hours of playing).

My Soundcard : Soundblaster X-fi fatal1ty

and this problem is not related to temps, i have checked all temps and they are fine.

dunno if my soundcard is overheating ?
any1 could help?

More about : strange cod crashing

January 1, 2008 12:44:06 PM

have you tried actually removing your sound card? using the onboard might help, but it isn't neccesarily a sound card issue, list your system specs, any software running in the background, whether anything is OC'd.....
January 1, 2008 9:13:03 PM

1. spuddyt is right, try your onboard.
2. Ususally, when my display drivers crash, my soundcard (Senile Audigy 2) gives out a horrible shreek of death and some weird cracking noises. Then my screen freezes for 5-50 seconds.

My point is:

Could this be a graphics driver issue, rather than a problem with the soundcard?

Are you running Vista? If so, have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the safe page where you can start Task Manager.
If you can see the taskbar, check in the notification area (where the clock is) if you can see a small yellow triangle.

It should give you the popup "Display Driver has Failed, but has recovered successfully."

If you really have to restart, maybe your display driver doesn't recover.

Am I making ANY sense? :pt1cable: 

Error observed on:
StarTopia
Crysis
Related resources
January 2, 2008 12:51:01 PM

As the others have said... computer issues are often fickle, but it's only natural to assume the root of the problem is what you notice first when the problem occurs. How many "Built my first computer, no beeps, and nothing displays on the monitor. Is my monitor/gpu broken?" :p 

Anyways, try as the others have said, and if that doesn't work - try searching your event viewer for any hangs, etc. around the time of the crash. You could also try updating the drivers for all of your major hardware components.
January 2, 2008 6:12:43 PM

Hi there, I don't think that your soundcard is your problem. I had the same rondom crashes on cod4 too i tried every fix / driver you can imagine.

I later found it it has something to do with temperature monitoring software (rivatuner in my case) so try removing all temp software then check to see if you still have the crash , if you dont crash try adding 1 temp proggy at a time till you find the one thats causing the problems.

Hope this helps completly fixed the problem for me :ange: 

e6600
p5nsli
3 gb ddr2 corsair xms2 800mhz
audigy 2zs
8800gtx o/c
January 18, 2008 9:41:11 PM

tmz81 said:
Hi there, I don't think that your soundcard is your problem. I had the same rondom crashes on cod4 too i tried every fix / driver you can imagine.

I later found it it has something to do with temperature monitoring software (rivatuner in my case) so try removing all temp software then check to see if you still have the crash , if you dont crash try adding 1 temp proggy at a time till you find the one thats causing the problems.

Hope this helps completly fixed the problem for me :ange: 

e6600
p5nsli
3 gb ddr2 corsair xms2 800mhz
audigy 2zs
8800gtx o/c

I had the same exact problem, (ntune was the culprit) before you play just end the process in task manager first.
Anonymous
March 20, 2009 5:02:01 PM

my cod4 freezes alot lately giving me a green or purple screen.
after the same prob and rebooting i went ingame to see if it would still freeze and my sound started to mess up.
i have a fatality aswell,maybe its the card i dunno

my specs E8800 cpu,gtx 280 ,striker 2nse
!