Need advice on getting a new AMD system

johnstexas

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
I am going to be getting a computer within the next three weeks and hoping
for something around $600 or less. Currently I have an emachines T1090 900
MHz Celeron/128 MB SDRAM/20 GB HD/Windows XP® Home Edition. Not a bad
machine, though I use a lot of programs at once and want something a bit
faster and with a lot more RAM.

The new PC should have an Athlon and either 512 MB or 1 GB RAM and
preferably ~60 GB on the HD, though I would settle for less if the tower can
hold at least one or two additional HDs. I have no need of a CD-RW as I
already had a Firewire one, and I might forego putting in a DVD ROM since I
hope to get an external DVD-RW as soon as the price drops a bit more.

I live close to http://www.cdeus.com and the owner of that place wants to
build me an Athlon 2200+ for $599 with 256 MB RAM and will charge $40 for
the next 256 SDRAM or $100 for DDR. This includes a Western Digital 40 GB
7200 rpm HD, a 48x CD-ROM, Integrated NVIDIA GeForce2 graphics, Integrated
LAN and Audio System and 56K v.90 Modem & DSL port and Windows XP Home.

He would charge me $15 more for v.92, I think, which is what I want. In
total a bit over $600 and with only 512 MB SDRAM (unless I wanted to pay
even more). He also says that his price on the HD might go up and he wanted
me to make a downpayment on the system to lock in the price.

I have Fry's Electronics ad from yesterday and they have:

Antec SX-835-II Workstation Tower $90
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ processor and SOYO MoBo $245
Maxtor 60 GB UDMA133 $79
Radeon 7000 32 MB AGP $40
DDR 512 MB PC 2100 $110

for a grand total of $569 or I could get up to 1 GB of PC133 SDRAM (4 256 MB
PC133 SDRAM @ 19.99) for $80, changing the price to $539 or 512 MB PC SDRAM
(2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM @ 19.99) for $40 (Total cost $499).

This does not include the CD, modem, audio card or OS. The cde guy will
sell me an OEM version for $99 if I buy a HD from him, but I don't know
where Fry's sells OEM versions of Windows. He claims his memory is better
than Fry's... That he uses German, Japanese or American made, such as
Siemens or something higher quality and that Fry's will sell me something
made in China.

I can drop the speed of the Athlon if necessary to get within my price
range. Should I let him do it, or go with the Fry's solution? Is there a
certain brand of memory I should avoid? Is the DDR memory worth it or
should I get SDRAM to save money and if so, how much?

My main problem right now is my computer often runs in virtual memory when I
get a lot of apps going at once, so I figure even SDRAM should produce an
increase in speed.

BTW, any recommendations on a Firewire card?

Thanks
-John

John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@yahoo.com <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@aaahawk.com

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Build your own dude :)

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
your neighbourhood store has a good offer, but I would Go for a Nforce2 instead of a Nforce1... juste go easier on the CPU XP1800+ will do as good as a 2200+

the Nforce2 will have gf4mx graphics and will be released soon. You'll get much more stability in the long run than with a SOYO/VIA board and you'll have a chance to upgrade someday.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Listen to Snotling. In fact I'll build you that system he described to your specs and charge only $100 including shipping to send it to you if you have the parts sent here. Oh, I'm a pro BTW.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Buy the parts and build your own. If you get stuck, come here for advice.

Once you've built your own, you'll never want to buy one again.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

dhlucke

Polypheme
Spend some time reading here and build your own. You'll find that what that guy wants to sell you is not worth $600. Sdram is extinct and that integrated graphics chip sucks. $15 more for v92? Ask him if he's on crack. On your own you can buy yourself a v92 modem for $10. Set your goal for half a gig of memory. A gig is not usefull for most people.

You're either new to computers, at least the inside, or not up to speed on new technology. If you don't have time to learn about them and build your own I would suggest seeing if you have a friend who knows anything, or have somebody like Crashman build the PC for you. Find a family cousin who has a clue. Don't buy a computer from a halfwit. What you're suggesting is buying a very outdated or crippled computer for $600, when you could probably put together something halfway decent.

Go check out newegg.com and get a feel for what their prices are. You'll find that the prices at Frys are crap.

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
"Oh, I'm a pro BTW."

Aren't we all? I went pro years ago, I'm not sure at what, but I am most definitely pro.

Ignignot - we have 5.
Err- th..th...thousand! don't question it!!!

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Though I agree that building is the best way to go, you might be able to find a good deal with what you want at <A HREF="http://www.ibuypower.com" target="_new">http://www.ibuypower.com</A>. They seem to have some very competitive prices and though I do not have personal experience with them, from what I have heard, they are a fairly good place to buy from.
If you do look at their systems, only look at the NForce2 mobos.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Definetly build your own. Why? then you know exactly what components your system has which makes troubleshooting that much easier. You will also learn how to do it which is valuable experience. If you have doubts do it at a friend's house (one with an internet connection) that way if you have any questions you can always look it up online.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Chalk me up on the "build your own" bandwagon.

You could put a xp2000, 512meg PC2100, some nappy little KT333 mainboard, a 60gig 120gxp, and liteon 16x dvd, and a geforce4 ti4200, with a decent 400w psu and nappy little mid-tower case for $600 or just a little over.

cpu $93
hard disk 75
mainboard 80
dvdrom 40
ti4200 120
400w psu 30
mid-tower 20
memory 115
fans 15
cable 5
shipping and handling total 70

Cables usually come with the mainboard, and sometimes with the hard disk and dvdrom drive.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
How old are you?

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Johntexas,

Build your own...you'll never go back. Also, THe Athlon 1600xp is 57.00 at newegg.com for the AGOIA stepping. Several of us have them and have them overclocked up to XP 2100 levels. Save the cash on the cpu and grab a good video card instead. Also, skip the older Hardrives and get a Western Digital 80 GB Special edition drive. They are super fast and around 105.00. Have fun...but whatever you do, don't buy a prebuilt system.

...ummm...sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...

jlanka

Splendid
Why are you building a new system with SDRAM? Doesn't make sense. Go with current technology, not old.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo Crashman,

"I remember making fun of Jimmy Carter when I was a kid..."

What does that mean? I remember making fun of Richard Nixon when I was a kid & I still make fun of Jimmy Carter, & just about all of the U.S. Presidents.........although my GF hates it when I make fun of her President Willy "Slick" Clinton. It's too hard to take Political figures seriously, without getting mad.

I am I too old?

Peace Out.................tile

Why do you want to believe me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just that my jokes were CURRENT at the time. I also remember the first shuttle launch, the Iran hostage crisis, $1.28 for gasoline when a candy bar cost $0.25, the Bicentenial fireworks over a resort town I was visting, the AMC Pacer being a NEW car, etc.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
haha. I'm aware of what you meant and I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about building PCs (much more than me). But being 2x my age (you could be if you are older than 42) isn't really relevent apart from putting you in a subgroup of people in your age group that know a lot more about PCs than the others. I could make some great ven diagrams about this...haha - oh to be a math major and be insane.

Those dogs can smell anything. That's why you gotta kick em in the throat!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, maybe not <i>twice</i> your age, but I was twice your age not too many years ago.

johnstexas

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Thanks for the advice all. I had been considering just buying the stuff at Fry's and building it myself, but was waiting until tommorrow and Friday's ad comes out. I bought this system (emachines T1090 for $349 after rebate) in early Nov. 2001 and by the end of the month, they had the same computer with a 17" monitor and print for $399, so I now don't buy stuff in late Oct./early Nov.

I mainly needed to know about what to buy (especially memory and mobo). I have posted in dfw.general, dfw.forsale (<A HREF="http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20022792 " target="_new">http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20022792 </A>) and comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (<A HREF="http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?E32052792 " target="_new">http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?E32052792 </A>) and here. I also took note of a thread in csiphs (Althlon XP 2000 Motherboard Recommendations Please! <A HREF="http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?S14035792 " target="_new">http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?S14035792 </A>). Several people emailed me from dfw.* and there have been many responses here. Most want me to build my own (which I intend to do). A guy named Eric from the dfw.* newsgroup gave me a detailed list of recommendations. He wants me to use 256 MB of DDR PC 2700. He thinks 512 MB is too much and 1 GB is way too much. Everyone seems to aqgree that I should not get PC 133, so I won't. Also he and a couple of others have recommended Epox Mobo because of stability and it came up as one of the highest on the mobo comparison chart (see link inthe thread on dfw.*). Also WD drives with 7200 rpm 8 MB cache are the most popular recommendation too.

I forgot to add that several people have suggested mail ordering instead of Fry's, so unless Fry's has some really good deals, I will likely do that. It was pointed out that mail order will save the 8.25% Texas and Arlington sales tax and some places will ship for free. I was directed to newegg.com a couple of times and z-buy.com as well.

John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@yahoo.com <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@aaahawk.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnstexas on 11/27/02 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Last time I had "too much" RAM that was on an IBM server and that's only because I received 6 sticks and it had only 4 slots... (yes, sometimes IBM can be wrong.)

there is no such thing as too much memory of the right type. Get 512, as a rule, when you want to know how much RAM you should get, look at what's on sale at future shop and multiply by 2. (or four if you're a power-user)

johnstexas

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
The full version <A HREF="http://news:asgpvb$6sr$1@news.chatlink.com" target="_new">news:asgpvb$6sr$1@news.chatlink.com</A> would be way too long to post here, but suffice it to say that at Fry's on Friday, I got a video card, v.92 modem, Norcent CD-RW, 60 GB Maxtor 8 7200 rpm MB cache with 256 MB RAM and a card reader, along with a few other things.

John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@yahoo.com <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@aaahawk.com

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
256Mb is not enough for me. I ran into lots of hard drive swapping when gaming using 256.
512 is just nice. Only very rarely do i use it all up.