Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Kasmir Chronicles - Death of a Hardcore Hero (Part 1)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:56:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I gotta hand it to my friend Kasmir. He was doing so well. But hardcore
is unforgiving.

His level 57 trapper was in the NM Maggot Lair with my conviction
pally. In all the time I played SC with Kasmir, I would say that his
most common form of death was by boss FE explosion upon the kill. I
tried to warn him about this and that it is even worse in NM. I would
expect that if he were to die in NM HC it would be to this FE
explosion.

Anyway, I offer to use the pally to lead the pathways as he is better
built to tank things and I can read boss mods whereas Kasmir is still
having a hard time determining the difference between a boss and a
minion and reading mods on a boss.

Somehow he walks off. I trail and lead him back but he walks off again.
I trail and lead him back but he walks off a third time. Okay, that's
it I better go keep an eye on him. I see a chamber just ahead and my
merc is engaged with a Scarb Beetle. And I hear traps going off. Then
it happened so fast. Kasmir's trapper has the life down to hardly
anything and then the next split second the trapper was dead. And he
left the game so I now I could not loot the corpse. I figured he must
have had a connection problem.

Poor Kasmir.

I saw him the next day and this is what happened. Instead of laying the
traps from the cavern entrance he walked the trapper into the cavern
and lay the traps. Then when he tried to leave the cavern, a Scarab
Beetle had already maneuvered into the corrider. He ended up trapped
between two Scarabs in the corrider. To make matters worse the Scarab
that followed him back into the corrider was the boss and sure enough
the boss was FE. The traps went off and with my conviction going
beasties were taking a lot more damage and the boss died and exploded
and left Kasmir with little life.

It gets worse. Kasmir went down there with me and did not bring any
purples with him. Sheesh. Poor Kasmir. If he had a purple he could have
drank and durvived. It is likely that Scarab sparks took him down the
rest of the way after the FE, And to make matters even worse he was so
pissed off that he left the game and now I could not loot his corpse to
give nice items to his next trapper.

I had just given him a nice claw with +3 shadow (the level 30) and +1
Light sentry. Poof! Gone!

My merc was taking hits so I retreated and killed the Scarab that
followed us. When I returned to the chamber everything else that was
there was dead. And I could se the treasure pile that the boss dropped
and the picture became a little clearer to me. When I told Kasmir that
everything was dead he jokingly said to me "So I was a suicide bomber".

HC Rule: A Trapper is not a tank.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:10:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Heh! Oh I always carry them. And I was not about to tank HC Diablo with
less than 16 of them in my belt.

I keep hoards of chipped gems on a HC mule just in case my supply of
purples run low. (3 chips = 1 full purp, but you knew that)

I have not had to use them yet. But I am not going to be so vain to
think that those chippies will never have their use.

At some point there will be a Barney HC mule on my account for stashing
the big purple juice.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:59:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On 22 Feb 2005 06:56:55 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I gotta hand it to my friend Kasmir. He was doing so well. But hardcore
>is unforgiving.

You got that right.

>I saw him the next day and this is what happened. Instead of laying the
>traps from the cavern entrance he walked the trapper into the cavern
>and lay the traps. Then when he tried to leave the cavern, a Scarab
>Beetle had already maneuvered into the corrider. He ended up trapped
>between two Scarabs in the corrider. To make matters worse the Scarab
>that followed him back into the corrider was the boss and sure enough
>the boss was FE. The traps went off and with my conviction going
>beasties were taking a lot more damage and the boss died and exploded
>and left Kasmir with little life.
>
>It gets worse. Kasmir went down there with me and did not bring any
>purples with him. Sheesh. Poor Kasmir.

<sigh> Reminds me of this noo^H^H^H guy who croaked in his 20s in an
AB game I was in. I looted him and dropped his (very mediocre) gear
at the Rogue Camp stash for the new char he brought in. I felt kinda
sorry for him, so I gave him some decent gear and 60K gold to get
started again. Then I dropped him a half-dozen full purples. He
declined them, saying, "I don't use purples." ?? WTF? I of course
replied, "That might have something to do with the fact that you just
died against easy monsters." I regretted giving him anything, after
that. He was obviously just going to croak stupidly again with it and
lose it.

HC is unforgiving. If you fight without purples in an area where the
monsters can hurt you at all, you had better not harbor any great
attachment to the char, because he is already as good as dead.

-- Roy L
Related resources
February 23, 2005 2:33:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1109084215.626773.269120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> I saw him the next day and this is what happened. Instead of laying the
> traps from the cavern entrance he walked the trapper into the cavern
> and lay the traps. Then when he tried to leave the cavern, a Scarab
> Beetle had already maneuvered into the corrider. He ended up trapped
> between two Scarabs in the corrider. To make matters worse the Scarab
> that followed him back into the corrider was the boss and sure enough
> the boss was FE. The traps went off and with my conviction going
> beasties were taking a lot more damage and the boss died and exploded
> and left Kasmir with little life.

Best is to not put yourself in those difficult positions in the first place.
But damned if I'm able to do that all the time. So I understand those tight
spots. Try casting a TP and just bailing on a bad scene. A lot of times it
will be right there and you can make your escape. Another way out is to have
a staff with Teleport charges on weapon switch. Have it hotkeyed up with the
staff and you can W and teleport out of danger. Getting into a sticky
situation is inevidible, so plan ahead for a way out of them.

> It gets worse. Kasmir went down there with me and did not bring any
> purples with him. Sheesh. Poor Kasmir. If he had a purple he could have
> drank and durvived. It is likely that Scarab sparks took him down the
> rest of the way after the FE, And to make matters even worse he was so
> pissed off that he left the game and now I could not loot his corpse to
> give nice items to his next trapper.

Now maybe you understand my curse of never being able to leave a juvie
potion behind. It's the life blood and it's easy to go through a lot of it
when things get hot. So keep lots of extras around.

> HC Rule: A Trapper is not a tank.

" ... a man's got to know his, limitations ..."

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:56:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1109084215.626773.269120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > I saw him the next day and this is what happened. Instead of laying
the
> > traps from the cavern entrance he walked the trapper into the
cavern
> > and lay the traps. Then when he tried to leave the cavern, a Scarab
> > Beetle had already maneuvered into the corrider. He ended up
trapped
> > between two Scarabs in the corrider. To make matters worse the
Scarab
> > that followed him back into the corrider was the boss and sure
enough
> > the boss was FE. The traps went off and with my conviction going
> > beasties were taking a lot more damage and the boss died and
exploded
> > and left Kasmir with little life.
>
> Best is to not put yourself in those difficult positions in the first
place.
> But damned if I'm able to do that all the time. So I understand those
tight
> spots. Try casting a TP and just bailing on a bad scene. A lot of
times it
> will be right there and you can make your escape. Another way out is
to have
> a staff with Teleport charges on weapon switch. Have it hotkeyed up
with the
> staff and you can W and teleport out of danger. Getting into a sticky

> situation is inevidible, so plan ahead for a way out of them.

If it were just regular Scarab beasties his trapper would have
survived. A few things that I have been trying to educate Kasmir on:

1) Minion = boss nearby
2) Boss = Has a name, has mods
3) FE Mod in NM = Good night Irene, unless you ahve a lot of life. He
had 761 life. He survived the FE explosion. But he had no purples and
other Scarab sparks were whacking him. If he had just one purple, even
a normal one for 1/3 life he surely would have survived.

I might have to go to his house and log onto my account and send my SC
zon into Hell and show him how to read mods, what to look for etc. Hr
just needs to be edumacated that's all. Kasmir is a bright lad and when
he does learn things he can put them to use. Kasmir is used to playing
a lot of XBOX type of games and I think those tend to be more shoot 'em
up and the finer details of these games, I think are so much different
than the finer details of LOD.

> It gets worse. Kasmir went down there with me and did not bring any
> > purples with him. Sheesh. Poor Kasmir. If he had a purple he could
have
> > drank and durvived. It is likely that Scarab sparks took him down
the
> > rest of the way after the FE, And to make matters even worse he was
so
> > pissed off that he left the game and now I could not loot his
corpse to
> > give nice items to his next trapper.
>
> Now maybe you understand my curse of never being able to leave a
juvie
> potion behind. It's the life blood and it's easy to go through a lot
of it
> when things get hot. So keep lots of extras around.
>
> > HC Rule: A Trapper is not a tank.
>
> " ... a man's got to know his, limitations ..."

One of my favorites too. And very applicable to HC.

Hey you better get that DSL up and running on your new PC. I don't care
if you have to hire a PC wizard to come to your house and get it going.
I expect to see you soon Bongo. I need help keeping Kasmir alive and
kicking bongo-dude. Get us a BongoBear out here. We will surely kick
some ass.

Orion Ryder

> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:58:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On 22 Feb 2005, "Orion Ryder" wrote:

>> Heh! Oh I always carry them. And I was not about to tank HC Diablo with
>> less than 16 of them in my belt.
>>
>> I keep hoards of chipped gems on a HC mule just in case my supply of
>> purples run low. (3 chips = 1 full purp, but you knew that)
>>
>> At some point there will be a Barney HC mule on my account for stashing
>> the big purple juice.

*ack*

Barney the Purple Die-not-store

*ack*
!