Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A couple of nice looking boards, and don't give me the excuse "I like Asus better because...er, I can't remember, but I've always liked them better". Well, I like Gigabyte better, but getting to specifics on THESE TWO boards, not the companies in general, which should I choose and why?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jjwa

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1748&p=28
There is a nice review here which covers both boards.

Both have nice features and nice overclocking options, but the 8INXP has a bit more and better BIOS overclocking options, and doesnt just have normal Raid, but also Serial ATA RAID!

Piece of conclusion from the review:
As far as RAID goes, Gigabyte's board would be a much better choice than ASUS's P4G8X, since the 8INXP comes with onboard IDE RAID. However, the 8INXP lacks FireWire, while the P4G8X does not. This makes it a tough decision for DIYers looking for that all-in-one wonder. However, what might give Gigabyte's board the edge over the P4G8X is its DPS technology (which enables 6-phase voltage circuitry) and dual BIOS. These are unique features the P4G8X lacks, and which can be useful to certain people. In addition, this solution is expected to be less expensive than the P4G8X by about $15.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
How can those DDR chips beat RDRAM? I thought RDRAM was fastest!!!
It was faster, but only because RDRAM was in dual channel. Now that DDR SDRAM can be in dual-channel, by way of granite bay, the two are now tied. But if you use DDR SDRAM in a Sis 655 dual channel DDR SDRAM chipset motherbard, DDR SDRAM is much better than RDRAM because SiS 655 can run DDR SDRAM up to DDR333 speed while Granite bay can only run DDR SDRAM up to DDR266 speed (may support DDR333 in the future). You can use DDR333 memory in a Granite Bay motherboard but it will only run at DDR266 speed.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

ddasilva

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
What do you recommend now RDRAM solution or this new SIS solution? I dont think SIS is a very good chipset...or am I wrong?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, Serial ATA will remain useless to most of us for many years, because the drives themselves are limitted to sub-ATA133 performance. It's an expensive option to add more drives using Serial to Parallel ATA adapters. But the Firewire port MIGHT come in usefull as I use other people's devices on my system ocasionally. Even then, the 6-stage power looks awesome, but will retail boards have it included, or is that going to be a hard to find, expensive add-on?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has been making top quality chipsets for over a year now, starting with the 735, then the 745, then the 645, 645DX, and finally the 648. There were a lot of poorly made 648 boards, the fault of the board manufacturer, not the chipset. The Gigabyte GA-8SG667 for example is a great 648 board. We will have to wait and see how the 655 turns out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has been making top quality chipsets for over a year now, starting with the 735, then the 745, then the 645, 645DX, and finally the 648. There were a lot of poorly made 648 boards, the fault of the board manufacturer, not the chipset. The Gigabyte GA-8SG667 for example is a great 648 board. We will have to wait and see how the 655 turns out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I got one from you maybe a couple days ago, I don't know why your new ones didn't get to my unless there's a limit-but I just deleted around 300 messages I think (didn't count) in case that was the problem.