MSI KT7266 Pro2-RU and Athlon XP 2400+ Problem

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Hello. I built a PC with the MSI KT7266 Pro2-RU motherboard and an Athlon XP 2400+ and it won't even do a POST. I turn it on, all the LED's are red, there is no display and it's just the fans and hard drive running. At first I thought it needed a BIOS upgraded, so I took an Athlon 1200 to boot it up and flashed the BIOS. The upgrade did not work. (At least I found that the motherboard and all my connections and jumpers were okay.) I reset the BIOS. I've tried everything already.

At first I thought the CPU was dead, but when I tried it in another motherboard, an MSI KT7266 Pro2-A, and it worked... although the BIOS reported it as an 1800+.

Is there an issue between the 2400+ and the Pro2-RU? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo M,

Is the video card seated fully? & what kind of video is it? What brand & wattage is your PSU? Are you getting any kind of "Beep" code? Is your motherboard speaker connected? How about the other mobo connections? Did it boot normally with the Athlon 1200? Have you tried pulling out the mobo out of the case, to see if it is a case grounding issue? Is your Raid set up, or disabled in the bios?

I believe the Bios flash is only so the bios will read "Athlon XP 2400+" not: unknown processor @ 2000 mhz. Get back to everyone with more info & maybe you or someone else will help you figure it out. Good Luck

Peace Out.................tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
tile,

It did boot normally with the Athlon 1200, so I assume all my connections are okay and there is no grounding problem. The video card is just a NVidia TNT M64. (This PC will only be used as a server.) As for the PSU, I can't remember the brand and it's rated at 325W. However, in the other PC that booted with the 2400+ (same exact setup except for the motherboard model) it only had a 300W PSU, so I don't think it's a power supply issue. I even tried booting without any drives and any cards just to make sure. I can't even get into the BIOS so I can't disable or set anything in there. Thanks for the reply.

Jamese1963

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
I just looked it up on MSI's sight, that board doesnt support the XP2400+, sorry,You may look for the board i purchased,MB=KT4VL it supports all the way up to the XP2800+ and above for all i know.

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I don't think so... The XP 2400+ runs at 266MHz FSB just like previous XPs. Maybe a BIOS flash will solve the problem to enable 15x multiplier.