Ace Combat 6 Review

travish82

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I'm kinda surpised there was no mention of the stunning graphics this game has. I played the demo (which is available free through xbox live) at a friends place on a HDTV and gotta say this is by far the best looking Action flight sim I have ever seen.

<Edit> Oops.. I guess I missed the last half of the review. But a mention that you can test this game with the xbox live demo was missing. You get to play in a mission over what appears to be New York. He was right about there not being thousands of scyscrapers, but there was definitly enough to have a little fun flying between the tightly packed center of the city.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
You know, the demo didn't sell me all that much. I felt like it went on forever and it really didn't offer any of the guts that Ace Combat 6 has in retail. If you enjoyed the demo, you'll like the retail game much much more. :)

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I was really hoping a review of this would be out soon; looks like I got my wish!

I've never really taken any of the AC series storylines worth anything, so reading about that is perfectly fine by me. I'm also to see that the single player aspect of the game is great. My only question is does it offer the features that previous AC series titles had, where upon completion of the game you could select a specific mission and play just that mission. That's what I liked about the other AC titles.

Also, I'm wondering how difficulty scales with this game. Such as, is easy to easy, and is hard/expert really hard and require a bit more skill? Touching on this would be a pleasure if at all possible by the author or any other person who has played the game.

Overall I really enjoyed this review. Although it lacked some of the things I was curious about with this title, it did hit all other points of interest. So, keep it up guys. Thanks for the review.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I was thinking the same thing when I was playing AC 5. This game would probably get a good following in the mod community, or at least plenty of tweakers. Sounds like a good game though, if I ever get a 360 I will be sure to pick this up.

Man, I need to pick up a 360 but then i also need a new graphics card...

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Great game..was a bit iffy about it after playing Over G which was very under rated and the closest to a sim you could get on console. However entering battle with 300 missiles was a laugh and I ended up really enjoying this game. Good review Ryan :)

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I love flight sims but I HATE consoles... My brother has 2 360's and Im not even going to play this on it. Why do they release games that are ment for PC's on consoles?

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
I haven't played the full game yet but from the demo I got the feeling that this was more Afterburner than Falcon 4.0. Actually with the story elements it felt a little like Strike Commander but the flying was more "arcadey".

Agreed though...PCs need more fun flight sims. Where is TIE Fighter 2?

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

We cover console games, too. Don't get me wrong, PC gaming is still king. But we're not console-phobic, either (yes, I have consoles and so do a lot of other hardcore PC gamers). There are some good console-only titles out there, and as much as I'd like to see games like Mass Effect and Ace Combat on the PC, the reality is that we live in an era where Assassin's Creed is selling millions of copies and Crysis/UT3/Quake Wars are struggling. I'm not sure if that's going to chance any time soon.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Rob,

You can't be console-phobic if you want to continue writing/reviewing -- at a sales rate of 15:1 console titles sold over PC titles, consoles are continuing to dominate and do it in such a way that PC gaming is facing the worst market share it has had since the history of gaming on a PC.

I'm not a console fan, but one can't ignore the market share and the reason folks move to consoles. But apparently Microsoft and various GPU vendors feel it's a much easier sell on consoles platforms than on PC platforms -- the difficultly getting a PC to work well (especially Vista and DX10) with games is real reason most move to consoles. It's just too much effort to get a PC to work and your dead right, there is NO sign Microsoft are "really" trying to make gaming a better experience on the PC. And lets be realistic, they don't have any real vested interest to do so with the XBOX360 around.

But folks, don't call this console game a sim, it doesn't even come close to a simulation. Falcon series is a simulation, this is just another shoot'em up in a long list of shoot'em ups.

I wish you folks would dig more and start a campaign to save PC gaming, rather than just shifting to consoles. It's like you've tossed in the towel already -- the Internet can be a powerful tool, at least expose Microsoft's lack of effort and put some public pressure on -- you want to get interested readers on both sides, then pick this story up and really dig.

Rob

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Rob, don't worry, we're pretty much all hardcore PC gamers as well, and we try to review as much PC product as we can. I've got The Witcher and Universe at War on my plate for example, and the Kane and Lynch version I reviewed was PC. Furthermore, I reviewed Unreal Tournament 3 and Jericho on the PC.

I guess the message I'm trying to convey is we're not abandoning PC games at all.

I agree that Ace Combat 6 is definitely not a simulation. It's like a modern day cranked up version of Afterburner. The only modern jet sim that's come out in recent times has been Lock On and that was a couple of years ago.

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
PC games biggest problem is the PS3. I hadn't bought a console since the Sega Genesis. The fact that a PS3 is cheaper than a high-end video card, has stellar graphics, and plays Blu-ray movies is a huge advantage. I play COD 4 on it with my bud in CA and have as much fun as I did playing the BF series. No patches to deal with and punkbuster issues is nice as well.

Don't get me wrong, for hard core gaming and simulations, PC's still can't be beat, but having to do hardware upgrades twice a year does grow tiresome.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

The reason console gaming sells at a 15:1 ratio is because you can literally buy 4-8 consoles for the price of a PC that will display the same graphics as a PC and allow you to experience as minimal lag as possible while playing online. Looking at Tom's Hardware specifically on this one, it would cost you over $2,000 just to get a mere 35-40 frames in Crysis, and that is JUST to play the game! That's not even taking into consideration that you might not like the game, nor experiencing issues on the software side or hardware side of things.

Consoles own PCs when it comes to stability, no question about that. The reason companies prefer to make console games is simply because the market is so much more open. Think about it this way, would you rather spend $400 for an XBOX360 or a PlayStation 3, heck even get a Wii and a few games, and get GREAT graphics, stability, and just as large of a community, as well as one source for your technical support/trouble shooting? Or, spend over $2,000 to get equivalent graphics and stability, but having to call several companies for support, and not as large or as dedicated of a community?

The choice is rather clear when you compare price to stability and playability. Console games are just more appealing, they deliver great on all fronts, and the market is much better. You can grab any title for a console that you can grab on a PC, take them both home, pop the console version in and play it, get great graphics and not have to worry about anything but playing the game, than pop in the PC version, wait for the installation, maybe not play it on as good of graphics, and potentially not get as good of stability with the PC due to other processes running and random issues.

Comparing PC to Console is just a lose-lose situation hands down. The reason I stick to PCs is because I'm on my PC 9 times out of 10, so ease of access for my games is there. That and I like to have my own space when playing a game and not out in the living room or whatever.

To address an even larger subject, PC Games scale HORRIBLE these days in contrast to their Console gaming brethren. To play, say, Crysis, requires a LOT of power from your PC, and thus a lot of money. To play a console, it's a mere $50-60 for the game and the cost of the console. To play on a PC, well, takes a lot more than that, about two to three times as much. The only game out there that I personally see do well for scaling in hardware on the PC is, although I despise the game, World of Warcraft. Over 10,000,000 people play the game. Not for graphics, but because they can just play it and not have to worry about, "Hmm gee well I need a quad core this and than an 8800GTX, oh wait no, maybe an HD3870, oh wait maybe 2GBs of RAM, no 4GBs will have to do" etc etc. Consoles don't have to worry about scaling. Thus, anyone can grab it and play it. This can not be said for PC titles.