Will Battlefield 2 work on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hey all,

Wil BF2 work on Vista? When I read the requirements it says XP only. Shouldn't it still work on Vista Home Premium 32 Bit?

Thanks!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Yes, it's just not been tested, I don't get any more crashes on Vista than I did on XP (I think I had more on XP lol).

I use Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Just to help you out - What is your monitors native resolution? What ever it is, you'll probably want to check this out:

Setting A Custom Resolution

Since the lack of a range of resolutions is one of the most common complaints about BF2142, I'll spell out the solution again here. It involves using the +szx and +szy command line options (covered in the Advanced Tweaking section). For example to set a resolution of 1280x1024, go to your BF2142 launch icon, right-click on it and select Properties. Then in the Target box put a single blank space after the last character and insert +szx 1280 +szy 1024, substituting any other number for the 1280 width and 1024 height respectively to suit your needs. The end result should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Now each time you launch the game it will run in the custom resolution specified, however note firstly that you must make sure your monitor can support this resolution, and secondly the Display Mode setting under the in-game Video Settings will not show the correct new resolution, not that this is a problem. Unlike Battlefield 2, editing the Video.con file does not work in properly setting a custom resolution, so this is the recommended method for doing so.

Source: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_9.html
(Worth checking out for other Tweaks as well :))

By forcing the game into your monitor's native res, you'll improve the video quality a ton. (Things won't look blurry or just plain sh@#y)

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Oops, I'm retarded. I thought he said Bf2142. >.>

Yeah, it was really stupid of them not to include that resolution. Especially when they have like 6 variations of 1280xXXX. They also need to fix the 60% map load / hang bug, which at the moment, they won't even admit exists. It can be fixed by renaming a file (a protected system file), but it's still stupid of them not to acknowledge and and provide a fix for it in their FAQ.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Alright so what i'm understanding so far is that I can create a custom resolution in BF2? My monitors native res is 1680x1050 and I have it set now in BF2 video options to 1280x960. It does look good but if this will make it look better than i'm all for it. Is there any other tweeks that I can do to make it look even that much better. I've set all nvidia control panel setting to max quality too.

G

In my shortcut for bf2142 (should work with bf2) i've used this:

"G:\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

Having the '+widescreen 1' in there did seem to make a difference in relation to the aspect ratio. looks more proper now than it did without it.

For Vista, make sure you also run as Administrator otherwise punkbuster will boot you from servers.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I changed it to +szx 1680 +szy 1050 but didnt mess with the fullscreen changing it to widescreen... do you think this will make a difference? After I changed to the new resolutions it looked just as sharp but I notice a bit of some jagged edges like AA is off or something. I'll try putting in the widescreen...

So I simply just delete fullscreen and replace with widescreeN?

G

Changing fullscreen to widescreen is meant to correct the FoV so it looks right, and I did see a difference when I used it.

xecert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008

I get kickted by punkbuster everty time I try to connect with a server
it say somting about my os
I use windows vista 64 home prof.

G

Are you running the game as administrator?

G

If you're still getting booted by punkbuster even when running as admin, you may need to manually update the punkbuster client for Battlefield.

http://www.evenbalance.com/ lists the games that use punkbuster, so just click on which one you want to update and follow their instructions.

I prefer (& recommend) using the admin tool at http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php which is so much easier to update any game's punkbuster version.

nhadglz19

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
hi i got this problem regarding plyaing BF2 1.0 evry time i played online my bf2 exit and error i think my max time of playing is 15minsT_T i know its sad.. im using vista 32bit ulimate can any1 help me plz?

Status
Not open for further replies.