Can't use any Restore Points

Still trying to resolve a problem with a friends computer using Windows
XP home, in that whenever the machine is switched on, it automatically
dials her ISP. All my efforts to stop this have failed, so I decided to
go back, in turn, to the various Restore Points which seemed available,
in the hope that I would find one where the computer did not
automatically dial up.

However, when I tried to use any of the restore points, a message was
displayed to the effect that the computer had not been restored. No
matter which restore point I used, the same message was displayed.

I would appreciate help or advice on this problem.
--
John Ditchfield
2 answers Last reply

    Hi John

    One or more of the System Restore files could have been corrupted - try
    turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
    checkpoints:

    Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
    Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
    that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
    drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
    new SR checkpoint.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "John Ditchfield" <newsab008@langho.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Still trying to resolve a problem with a friends computer using Windows XP
    > home, in that whenever the machine is switched on, it automatically dials
    > her ISP. All my efforts to stop this have failed, so I decided to go
    > back, in turn, to the various Restore Points which seemed available, in
    > the hope that I would find one where the computer did not automatically
    > dial up.
    >
    > However, when I tried to use any of the restore points, a message was
    > displayed to the effect that the computer had not been restored. No
    > matter which restore point I used, the same message was displayed.
    >
    > I would appreciate help or advice on this problem.
    > --
    > John Ditchfield

    >================================
    >The Restore Points are corrupt. This probably points to RAM
    >problems but could also point to a hard drive problem in that
    >perhaps
    >the C:\System Volume Information resides on a damaged portion
    >of the hard drive.

    >The issue of automatically dialing the ISP when the desktop is
    >loaded
    >is quite possibly due to Spywares on the system.

    Many thanks for your and Will Denny's comments and advice.

    I will follow your suggestions and see if I get anywhere.

    One thing I find strange is that all the Restore Points, going back to
    February are unusable, is it possible that something could corrupt all
    the Restore Points, no matter how old?

    --
    John Ditchfield

Internet Service Providers Computers Dial Up Connection Windows XP