V60s Major Ring Problem

Last response: in Network Providers
May 24, 2004 4:13:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.

As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
phones are, once again, not ringing.

For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:

1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
directly to voicemail.)

2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
a) does not ring (or vibrate).
b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.

3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer my
friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.

If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think again.

If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe reboot
you phone at least once a day.

Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get rid
of them.

Fred

--
"Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes,

FPP wrote:
> The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
>
> As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> phones are, once again, not ringing.
>
> For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:
>
> 1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
> directly to voicemail.)
>
> 2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
> a) does not ring (or vibrate).
> b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
> c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.
>
> 3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
> someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer my
> friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.
>
> If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think again.
>
> If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe reboot
> you phone at least once a day.
>
> Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get rid
> of them.
>
> Fred

I did the upgrade at the verizon store and have not had the problem
since, but my usage is not very heavy. You might want to make sure that
every ringtone option has a keypad volume of at least a level of 1, none
set to zero (silent).
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:11:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <1085446339.273830@yasure>, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
wrote:

> FPP wrote:
> > The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
> >
> > As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> > new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> > phones are, once again, not ringing.
> >
> > For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:
> >
> > 1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
> > directly to voicemail.)
> >
> > 2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
> > a) does not ring (or vibrate).
> > b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
> > c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.
> >
> > 3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
> > someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer my
> > friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.
> >
> > If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think again.
> >
> > If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe reboot
> > you phone at least once a day.
> >
> > Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get rid
> > of them.
> >
> > Fred
> >

> I did the upgrade at the verizon store and have not had the problem
> since, but my usage is not very heavy. You might want to make sure that
> every ringtone option has a keypad volume of at least a level of 1, none
> set to zero (silent).

Thanks... but, yeah, I've already done that. This is a separate issue.
When I had the problem with the key volume settings, the ringer wouldn't
ring BUT the outer screen would *always* show that a call was coming in.

In the present situation, the caller id shows absolutely nothing. There
is NO indication that a call is coming in at all - until you check the
Recent Calls log.

One tech support guy suggested that I should take the battery out every
day and wait 3-4 minutes before I put it back in.

Yeah. Right. And maybe when I go to a restaurant, I should cook my own
food...

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Fred--

I also have three of the V60s phones in the family.

What version of the software do you now have? I had the exact same thing
happen after having the 8610_02.0F.03 firmware "upgrade" flashed to my phone
when the new firmware was first available at the end of March. I was on
business northwest of Los Angeles at the time, and calls kept going to
voicemail with no indication of ringing or missed calls. As a test, I
called from a landline to my cell phone, and there was absolutely no
indication of an incoming call -- no ringer, no caller ID indication
(neither internal nor external display), and no missed call indication. But
exactly as you describe, the caller ID info could be located in the recent
calls list.

The local VZW replaced the flashed phone with one that had the original
8610_02.0F.02 software so that they could have the phone for troubleshooting
by VZW and Motorola -- they said that this had NEVER happened through all of
their testing of the new firmware, which had been specifically released to
address the known keypad volume/ringer issue. I now have all of my key
volume settings set to a minimum of one, and I have not had an issue
since -- all things considered it is a great phone.

"FPP" <fredp@mail.com> wrote in message
> The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
>
> As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> phones are, once again, not ringing.
>
> For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:
>
> 1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
> directly to voicemail.)
>
> 2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
> a) does not ring (or vibrate).
> b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
> c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.
>
> 3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
> someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer my
> friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.
>
> If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think again.
>
> If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe reboot
> you phone at least once a day.
>
> Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get rid
> of them.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
> because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes,
> and you can say whatever the hell you want."
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:04:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

We have 2 of them and absolutely NO problems of any sort other than slightly
short batt. life. Are you sure you're not hitting an outside menu button or
something?
Larry
> In article <1085446339.273830@yasure>, ken moffat <kmoffat@drizzle.com>
> wrote:
>
> > FPP wrote:
> > > The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
> > >
> > > As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for
> > > new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today,
the
> > > phones are, once again, not ringing.
> > >
> > > For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:
> > >
> > > 1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
> > > directly to voicemail.)
> > >
> > > 2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
> > > a) does not ring (or vibrate).
> > > b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
> > > c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.
> > >
> > > 3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
> > > someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer
my
> > > friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.
> > >
> > > If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think
again.

> > > If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe
reboot
> > > you phone at least once a day.
> > >
> > > Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get
rid
> > > of them.
> > >
> > > Fred
> > >

> > I did the upgrade at the verizon store and have not had the problem
> > since, but my usage is not very heavy. You might want to make sure that
> > every ringtone option has a keypad volume of at least a level of 1, none
> > set to zero (silent).
>
> Thanks... but, yeah, I've already done that. This is a separate issue.
> When I had the problem with the key volume settings, the ringer wouldn't
> ring BUT the outer screen would *always* show that a call was coming in.
>
> In the present situation, the caller id shows absolutely nothing. There
> is NO indication that a call is coming in at all - until you check the
> Recent Calls log.
>
> One tech support guy suggested that I should take the battery out every
> day and wait 3-4 minutes before I put it back in.
>
> Yeah. Right. And maybe when I go to a restaurant, I should cook my own
> food...
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
> folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:29:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <kSEsc.113632$xw3.6644037@attbi_s04>, "jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com>
wrote:

> We have 2 of them and absolutely NO problems of any sort other than slightly
> short batt. life. Are you sure you're not hitting an outside menu button or
> something?
> Larry

100% positive. I wish I was. When it's doing it NO-RING thing, I can
change any settings I want... Volume, Ring Tone, Ring Style - anything -
and the phone will not ring. No how, no way.

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:35:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <ipqdnT3WnZJRzS7d4p2dnA@flxtek.net>,
"tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:

> Fred--
>
> I also have three of the V60s phones in the family.
>
> What version of the software do you now have? I had the exact same thing
> happen after having the 8610_02.0F.03 firmware "upgrade" flashed to my phone
> when the new firmware was first available at the end of March. I was on
> business northwest of Los Angeles at the time, and calls kept going to
> voicemail with no indication of ringing or missed calls. As a test, I
> called from a landline to my cell phone, and there was absolutely no
> indication of an incoming call -- no ringer, no caller ID indication
> (neither internal nor external display), and no missed call indication. But
> exactly as you describe, the caller ID info could be located in the recent
> calls list.
>
> The local VZW replaced the flashed phone with one that had the original
> 8610_02.0F.02 software so that they could have the phone for troubleshooting
> by VZW and Motorola -- they said that this had NEVER happened through all of
> their testing of the new firmware, which had been specifically released to
> address the known keypad volume/ringer issue. I now have all of my key
> volume settings set to a minimum of one, and I have not had an issue
> since -- all things considered it is a great phone.

Bingo! This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

My software version WAS the .02 version - and this is what I was having
the problem with. I just upgraded to .03, and the problem hasn't gone
away.

As far as key volume goes, I *always* had mine set to at least 1, since
I knew about the ringer problem when it was set to 0 in any mode - so
that's not a fix for me.

The problem here is that just because the phone is working now, doesn't
mean it will be working 10 days from now, or 10 minutes from now.

I'm planning on exchanging my 3 phones for 3 new v60s's - and see if the
problem persists. If I have even *one* incidence with the new phones
I'm going to push for changing my all my phones - or cancel my account.

I'm hoping Verizon would prefer to keep a paying customer, rather than
lose one - especially one who is going to stick them with the bill :-)
I don't plan on paying any early termination fees for something that
they just won't (not CAN'T) fix.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:46:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Mine does exactly the same thing. No ring until I reboot. I noticed that
this usually happens after I take it off the charger. I have to turn the
phone on and off and back on again so I can receive calls.
I have not had the software upgrade to comment if that resolves my no ring
issue. Also sometimes when I turn my phone on I am not prompted to enter my
password to unlock the phone. The phone is set correctl to prompt for a
passwor to unlock the phone when I turn it on. When that happens again the
phone does not ring.
"FPP" <fredp@mail.com> wrote in message
> The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
>
> As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> phones are, once again, not ringing.
>
> For those not familiar with this problem, it goes something like this:
>
> 1) Someone calls my cell. They hear it ringing. (It does not go
> directly to voicemail.)
>
> 2) The call comes to my cell... BUT, the phone:
> a) does not ring (or vibrate).
> b) shows NOTHING on the outer display
> c) is recorded in my Recent Calls log as having come in.
>
> 3)This will go on until I notice that I'm not getting ANY calls, or
> someone calls me on a landline to ask me why the hell I don't answer my
> friggin' phone, or I reboot the phone.
>
> If you're thinking about buying a v60s... you might want to think again.
>
> If you own a v60s, you might want to check this out... and maybe reboot
> you phone at least once a day.
>
> Me... I've had these 3 for 2 months now, and I'm going to try to get rid
> of them.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
> because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes,
> and you can say whatever the hell you want."
May 26, 2004 12:17:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Are you experiencing the new problem on all three of your phones? Did you
have all three flashed to the .03 firmware? Is it possible that there is a
hardware problem that occurred on your phone and my phone in addition to the
firmware issue? Just a thought...

> In article <ipqdnT3WnZJRzS7d4p2dnA@flxtek.net>,
> "tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > Fred--
> >
> > I also have three of the V60s phones in the family.
> >
> > What version of the software do you now have? I had the exact same
thing
> > happen after having the 8610_02.0F.03 firmware "upgrade" flashed to my
phone
> > when the new firmware was first available at the end of March. I was on
> > business northwest of Los Angeles at the time, and calls kept going to
> > voicemail with no indication of ringing or missed calls. As a test, I
> > called from a landline to my cell phone, and there was absolutely no
> > indication of an incoming call -- no ringer, no caller ID indication
> > (neither internal nor external display), and no missed call indication.
But
> > exactly as you describe, the caller ID info could be located in the
recent
> > calls list.
> >
> > The local VZW replaced the flashed phone with one that had the original
> > 8610_02.0F.02 software so that they could have the phone for
troubleshooting
> > by VZW and Motorola -- they said that this had NEVER happened through
all of
> > their testing of the new firmware, which had been specifically released
> > address the known keypad volume/ringer issue. I now have all of my key
> > volume settings set to a minimum of one, and I have not had an issue
> > since -- all things considered it is a great phone.
> >

> Bingo! This is exactly what I'm experiencing.
>
> My software version WAS the .02 version - and this is what I was having
> the problem with. I just upgraded to .03, and the problem hasn't gone
> away.
>
> As far as key volume goes, I *always* had mine set to at least 1, since
> I knew about the ringer problem when it was set to 0 in any mode - so
> that's not a fix for me.
>
> The problem here is that just because the phone is working now, doesn't
> mean it will be working 10 days from now, or 10 minutes from now.
>
> I'm planning on exchanging my 3 phones for 3 new v60s's - and see if the
> problem persists. If I have even *one* incidence with the new phones
> I'm going to push for changing my all my phones - or cancel my account.
>
> I'm hoping Verizon would prefer to keep a paying customer, rather than
> lose one - especially one who is going to stick them with the bill :-)
> I don't plan on paying any early termination fees for something that
> they just won't (not CAN'T) fix.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
> folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:57:18 AM

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:46:11 -0400, "news.nj.comcast.giganews.com"
<lissco@comcast.net> wrote:

>Mine does exactly the same thing. No ring until I reboot. I noticed that
>this usually happens after I take it off the charger. I have to turn the
>phone on and off and back on again so I can receive calls.
Are you using an aftermarket charger???
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 7:07:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <yc6dnVvMxKwZPy7dRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
"news.nj.comcast.giganews.com" <lissco@comcast.net> wrote:

> Mine does exactly the same thing. No ring until I reboot. I noticed that
> this usually happens after I take it off the charger. I have to turn the
> phone on and off and back on again so I can receive calls.
> I have not had the software upgrade to comment if that resolves my no ring
> issue. Also sometimes when I turn my phone on I am not prompted to enter my
> password to unlock the phone. The phone is set correctl to prompt for a
> passwor to unlock the phone when I turn it on. When that happens again the
> phone does not ring.

Damn! Now that you mention it, the last time this happened to me my
phone was *on* the charger. (And my phone is a Motorola charger.)

And (again) now that you mention it... I've seen the same thing happen
with the lock code. I didn't think anything of it, but you've got me
wondering now.

Maybe this will mean something to the tech support guys. I'm due to
call them back the next time this happens to my phone.

Thanks.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 7:10:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <vuqdnam6Xq6Mfy7dRVn-gQ@flxtek.net>,
"tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:

> Are you experiencing the new problem on all three of your phones? Did you
> have all three flashed to the .03 firmware? Is it possible that there is a
> hardware problem that occurred on your phone and my phone in addition to the
> firmware issue? Just a thought...

I experienced the NO RING thing on all 3 of my phones before the upgrade.

So far, I've only experienced the problem with my phone. The other 2
haven't done it - yet. But it's only been 3 days now.

I'm giving it some time. Initially, I didn't notice any problem with
the phones for about 3 weeks.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
May 26, 2004 1:40:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

From my experience, the lock code issue and the ringer issue appear to be
unrelated.

> In article <yc6dnVvMxKwZPy7dRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
> "news.nj.comcast.giganews.com" <lissco@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Mine does exactly the same thing. No ring until I reboot. I noticed that
> > this usually happens after I take it off the charger. I have to turn the
> > phone on and off and back on again so I can receive calls.
> > I have not had the software upgrade to comment if that resolves my no
ring
> > issue. Also sometimes when I turn my phone on I am not prompted to enter
my
> > password to unlock the phone. The phone is set correctl to prompt for a
> > passwor to unlock the phone when I turn it on. When that happens again
the
> > phone does not ring.
>
> Damn! Now that you mention it, the last time this happened to me my
> phone was *on* the charger. (And my phone is a Motorola charger.)
>
> And (again) now that you mention it... I've seen the same thing happen
> with the lock code. I didn't think anything of it, but you've got me
> wondering now.
>
> Maybe this will mean something to the tech support guys. I'm due to
> call them back the next time this happens to my phone.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
> folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 6:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"FPP" <fredp@mail.com> wrote in message
> The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
>
> As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> phones are, once again, not ringing.

I notice that on my V60s, the ring settings don't stick. I set it to
vibe&ring but it changes back to "LOUD" whenever the charger is plugged in.
Later, when I unplug the charger, it will sometimes go back to vibe&ring,
sometimes it won't.
May 26, 2004 6:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

This is not an issue with the motorola v60s. I have the v60c. and the
same thing happens when you plug it in to the charger. I think they
design it this way because it's charging so you dont have the phone on
you and they maybe don't want you to miss a phone call. same exact
thing I have it on one setting and plug it in and it changes the
setting. when I unplug it it goes back to the setting I had.... I had
this phone long enough waiting to see what the V710 Will be like, plan
on taking it for the 15 day trial... If not I will go with the V60s...
sounds like a good phone except some people might have got a bad
one.....

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message news:<Z%1tc.11995$be.9312@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "FPP" <fredp@mail.com> wrote in message
> > The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
> >
> > As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
> > new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
> > phones are, once again, not ringing.
>
> I notice that on my V60s, the ring settings don't stick. I set it to
> vibe&ring but it changes back to "LOUD" whenever the charger is plugged in.
> Later, when I unplug the charger, it will sometimes go back to vibe&ring,
> sometimes it won't.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 10:25:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <Z%1tc.11995$be.9312@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Steven M. Scharf <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

>"FPP" <fredp@mail.com> wrote in message
>> The ringing problem with my 3 v60s phones continues.
>>
>> As per Verizon and Motorola's advice, I brought in my 3 v60s's in for a
>> new software upgrade. The upgrade was done yesterday... and today, the
>> phones are, once again, not ringing.
>
>I notice that on my V60s, the ring settings don't stick. I set it to
>vibe&ring but it changes back to "LOUD" whenever the charger is plugged in.
>Later, when I unplug the charger, it will sometimes go back to vibe&ring,
>sometimes it won't.

I cannot speak to the V60s specifically, but for all of the Motorola
CDMA phones which I have had (SC725, StarTac7868, T720), they turn off
vibrate/switch to LOUD when plugged into the charger, and revert to
the previous setting when unplugged. The idea is that when the phone is
in the charger, it is not on your person, so vibrate won't be useful.
On the T720, when plugged into the charger, I can enable vibrate mode,
but when unplugged, it reverts to the setting it had before plugging
it in. If the V60s doesn't behave like this, I suspect something is
broken in the firmware.
!