low disk space

we installed windows xp but windows me is still installed
also now low disk space it says and can't do anything else
6 answers Last reply
More about disk space

    Apparently, you selected "New Installation" during the initial
    setup phase instead of "Upgrade". Now you have two Windows
    operating systems residing in the same partition. Backup your
    important files and perform a "clean install" of Windows XP.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Cynde" wrote:

    | we installed windows xp but windows me is still installed
    | also now low disk space it says and can't do anything else

    Thank you do I uninstall the xp and then reinstall it? this is all new to me

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Apparently, you selected "New Installation" during the initial
    > setup phase instead of "Upgrade". Now you have two Windows
    > operating systems residing in the same partition. Backup your
    > important files and perform a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    >
    > Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Cynde" wrote:
    >
    > | we installed windows xp but windows me is still installed
    > | also now low disk space it says and can't do anything else

    do i uninstall w/xp

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Apparently, you selected "New Installation" during the initial
    > setup phase instead of "Upgrade". Now you have two Windows
    > operating systems residing in the same partition. Backup your
    > important files and perform a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    >
    > Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Cynde" wrote:
    >
    > | we installed windows xp but windows me is still installed
    > | also now low disk space it says and can't do anything else

    Follow these instructions exactly:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "cynde" wrote:

    | Thank you do I uninstall the xp and then reinstall it? this is all new to me

    If you follow the procedure I mentioned, Windows XP
    will be automatically wiped clean from your hard drive.
    There is no need to uninstall it manually.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "cynde" wrote:

    | do i uninstall w/xp

    Did you initially you want to upgrade Windows Me to XP? If so don't wipe
    your drive as doing so will erase everything. If you don't care about losing
    what was on the drive then a clean install is the way to go. Just Backup
    important data first. But if your intention was to upgrade Me and you have
    data you don't want to lose then you can do the following
    1) Boot with a Windows Me Startup floppy. At the command prompt type the
    following and press the Enter key
    SYS C:
    (that will transfer the system boot file back to Me.)

    2) Restart the computer and you should boot directly into Windows Me without
    the Windows XP bootloader running. When you get to the Me Desktop you will
    need to open an explorer window and go to Tools->Folder Options->View Tab.
    From there you must enable "Show hidden files and folders". Now you can
    delete the following files that are related to XP
    Boot.ini
    Ntbootdd.sys
    Ntdetect.com
    NTLDR
    Hiberfil.sys
    Pagefile.sys
    Delete the following folders if they exist:
    Winnt
    Documents and Settings

    3) Windows Me can now be upgraded to XP the correct way. Boot to the
    Desktop, pop the XP CD into the drive and select Install, then select
    Upgrade[recommended].

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Cynde" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | we installed windows xp but windows me is still installed
    | also now low disk space it says and can't do anything else

Windows Me Disk Space Microsoft Windows XP