Gigabyte 8SR533 - Any ideas folks

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Please can someone help?

I recently built the following rig for a friend:
P4 2.4ghz 533 fsb (oem)
Gigabyte 8SR533 mobo, with F6 BIOS <A HREF="http://link" target="_new">(http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/products.htm)</A>
256 266fsb DDR - generic
Cheap 300w P4 case
CD-RW
30gb Diamond max 8 HDD
Sound blaster card - have tried it without this
16mb Rage Pro GPU AGP x2

I know some of the parts are second rate but i was working on a tight budget.

My problem is that every time the mains power is turned off the bios looses its settings. Then when i turning it back on - it says checksum error/cmos battery low. I replaced the battery with a 3v one thinking that the onboard 3V battery was generating less then 2.8V or was not generating any voltage at all. I have changed different bios version's to no joy. I was also thinking that the Clock generator chip on the board is faulty.

Anyone go any ideas as to what may be wrong. I need to know for definate before i send it back, as the supplier i got it from have very bad customer support and WILL try to blame me for any probelms.

Thanks in advance
Steve

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds as though the BIOS CLEAR jumper is not in the right position! For some boards this mean changing to the other position on a three pin header, on others it means removing the jumper, on very few others it means installing the jumper. Read the manual for details.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I have checked that with the manual stating that it should be left off and the board stating that it should be on i.e. pin 2+3. I have tried many positions, but it doesnt seems to work.

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
if you replaced the battery and checked the clear CMOS jumpers, then it sounds like a bad board.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
If the cmos remembers when the plug is in and forgets when you physicaly remove the plug from the plug - is that the battery?