Why in the Hell do people play WOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I'm not knocking how anyone spends their free time, but the game seems really boring. I have a friend, who has a 24 year old cousin who plays the gme constantly, he is a normal, if kind of geeky guy who pass'es up beer and baes to play this game. What am i missing, I play freelancer my 5 hours a month, and i dabble in playstion 2 games when i ge bored, I dont spend 8-10 hours a day on a game.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
People normally play WOW becuase their real life sucks that much, they have to invent a charecter portraying it as them in a virtual world to make themselves look good.

G

It is a fun and addictive game, though I don't understand myself how people can play it for hours on end. It's like Ultima Online when it came out I guess.

Some people play it for the fun of playing with friends, others feel they've got to be ultra hardcore because they've spent every waking moment playing to get the absolute best gear/tactics/etc to beat everyone to a pulp and feel almighty. But that happens with other games as well, except that they don't have monthly fees.

End of the day though, it's not as weird as Second Life. Now there's a concept I don't understand :D

holycow02

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
It's one of those games for people who played any of the warcraft games and wanted to really get into the whole story and stuff. I played...for about 3 months and I was quite addicted....but i was in my first semester of college and oly played when I was bored and was not drinking or trying to get girls.

Lots of people play simply because they have nothing better to do and just really want to be 'super-awsome' at absolutely nothing

saintones

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
People like different things, and apparently 9 million people like WOW, Im with holy I got pretty bored.. I played DAOC forever, I like some of the upper ecehlon competetion.. I have to hand it to WOW they did a great job with the interface, but I agree it becomes like mouthwash, rinse and repeat...Im waiting for my next addiction.. And recon when you get old like me, going out gets expensive and old too :)

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
1-repetitive
2-easy
3-???

I played it for 2 months and hated it, 32 druid, 46 mage :\ , there's a total of 3 quests replayed about 10,000 times!!!!

Pist

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
The game a huge time sink, if you have lots of free time its the perfect game to waste it in.
I played it for awhile but right before the expansion came out i was burnt out on it, leveled my characters up and then sold the account. :D

The whole point of a game is to have fun and waste time, some people have more time to waste then others. :pt1cable:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
and sadly, most of my bf2 clan has been playing wow, so I suggested they put up a wow roster right next to the cod4 roster lol, whenever they leave azeroth..

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I play wow because I used to play Everquest when I was younger and enjoyed it. Moved to wow with the wife and brother and long time family friends. It's all about what you enjoy doing in life. I don't mind hanging out with my friends in game killing monsters for gear. Hell, I did the same thing in table top D&D and didn't get anything real there either. To each their own I suppose.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006

I hear that I'm grateful that my wife plays the game too or I would be seriously in trouble. I only raid now and do the occasional run with guildmates. I still play other games as well I don't just limit myself to WoW. Hell, I still play D&D sometimes when I'm lucky.

imnotageek

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Oh dear ... shall I post something or shall I not. Sounds like if I do, people will start thinking that I am mental (like jonisginger).

To hell with it ...

To me it is more of the social aspect and the vastness of the world that is so full of real people. I have played other games too but none comes close. I don't play FTS like Counter Strike so I wouldn't have known how teamwork is like in those genre. Most of the games are offline type. Just you and the machine. Oblivion's world seems big. But I feel lonely inside. Neverwinter Nights 2 has all the nice magic and RPG component to it, but the world is not as large and I don't really enjoy pausing the game to strategize and resume to continue the battle.

In short, it is hard to find other alternatives (tried DAoC and Guild Wars).

To those who think WoW is a simple game. Well, I would say if your goal is to reach the end level by grinding the monsters again and again, sure, it is just like hit the button 1, and then 2, and then 3, and then collect loot. And repeat.

Some quests are actually pretty challenging, require skills to solo (even if you have a few team members with you). Some storylines are more epic than others (with good rewards). And of course, learning to play your role well inside a challenging dungeon is yet another exciting aspect of the game that I immensely enjoy. It is not always possible to have a balanced team of tank/healer/damage dealer. When the team is not balanced, it is yet another level of challenge.

And there is the PvP aspect (that I don't really indulge into but have tried) when you see 40 of your faction waiting at the gate ready to match down the road and meet 40 of your opponents. Game objectives are being captured with strategic moves that can turn the tide of the game.

I don't play that much now. But if I have to choose just one element on why the hell I play WoW, that would be the social aspect.

yabyab

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
They play WoW because there's nothing better to play for that Genre. Actually WoW ruined the MMORPG genre for the all the CoreFans of that genre. It has redefined the genre and made it too stupid and too easy. But they've done it right, because that's what most people want if we take into account the 9million subs and the marketing success.

Boring game and is too easy.

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I agree with m1ddy.

You won't understand why until you experienced it. I have been there for years (didn't like it at first) and finally made it quit (for almost a year). And luckily, somehow I managed to achieved things i have been wanted in RL while i was not playing WoW.

However, now i started playing again (I blame christmas break)... was bored at no work, didn't plan to go anywhere...so i decided to play game. I didn't want to play WoW, so i bought CoD4...but unfortunately it doesn't work out well... i got dizzy after playing for a while. I tried some other games but end up returned my CoD4 for the expansion (TBC) and a game card plus some cash back.

Now, the holiday is over... even though i'm playing again, atleast i know i wont play as much as i used to be (8-16hrs/day). Even if say i get addicted again, i still can't...cuz i have jobs (I have a full time job + 2 part time jobs), a demanding gf (who was there when i was addicted as well as achieving things we been wanted) and a morgage to pay. I just hope i can keep this in order.

If you curious like the OP, cool and don't try.
If you are a WoW addict and trying to quit try this site: http://www.wowdetox.com/

cheers,

docnasty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I played WoW for a long time. Did the whole Raid thing for a while. Boss fights are a challenge but can be a pain if you have morons in your guild.

The PvP asepct can be pretty fun. They have an arena where you go 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 for rank and arena poitns which can be used to buy new upgrades. Getting a team of friends together and doing arena is pretty fun. I ended season 2 with 2150 5v5 rating, /shrug

corvetteguy666

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
LMAO at the detox site, and the youtube link.

I play(ed) wow for about 5 months till tech problems interrupted. So now i went back and just couldn't get back in. My retarded guild booted me for non attendance lmao, and i forgot which variation of the 2nd quest i was doing :p

But seriously wow is fun, but i just can't get into a hardcore mode where i consume all my time trying to have a big epeen, i have a big real peen, so i'm all good.

I got to lvl 59 and pretty much played on and off throughout the day just cuz my friends were on and i like to make fun of epeening noobs in any game, wow just has a large supply.

ANyway i splurged and bought 4 news games, crysis, ut3, supcom FA, COD4, so without wow to interrupt anymore i might actually get to play them along with FEAR, Dawn of war, and all my other good games that got neglected due to playing wow.

The biggest problem i have with wow is that i realized its not a skill or pride thing when people can just stay up longer than you to win. I also got disheartened by the fact that it took the "best trained" guild in the world 2 years to get to the offical "end" of wow and beat the boss with a whopping 40 man team... needless to say having to find 40 people with 2 years to spare is not easy, and i prefer to do most things on my own, hence i was a hunter :p

Anyway theres my 2cents

corvetteguy666

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
EDIT: Just saw the above post, and ya, pvp is pretty awesome just for the pwning noobs part. But they even ruined that with people have 3 70's and twinking the **** out of a 39 and the horde always winning :p

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
:pouah: WoW I remember when i first heard of this game coming out the first word out of my mouth was "O no!!!!!" To me i find the graphics crap the characters crap the story crap i find it to be all crap and i never played it 7 million people played it haha ...... I could care less...... Its not my type of sugar...... I think 7 million people wasted money on a game that makes them waste there time... MMORPGs are all time wasting crap, i played Anarchy, Planetside, Diablo 1-2-lod, Matrix online, SWG, Guildwars, Lineage 2, And i loved playing but it was a waste of time and monthly payments.... And WoW i couldnt even bare talking about this game and why am i.... :pfff: Kids go to school and stop playing it wont get you anywhere in life everyone cant be Fatal1ty and earn a living playing.... I have to admit he is one lucky guy i wish i could do that.... lol

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
I played WoW pretty hardcore for about two years but I haven't sat down to play it for a while. My wife on the other hand, plays daily, raids several times a week, does PvP, does Arena, and loves all of it. WoW has an incredible amount of content to offer and is constantly evolving. It also does many things very well.

I just got to a point where it wasn't offering what I wanted out of a game anymore so I moved on. I still hear it's siren call from time to time. I imagine I'll go back to level up and try out the new class when Wrath of the Lich King comes out.

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
OMG!!! I havent played MMORPG's in about 2 years and i come to relize how retarded WoW talk is.. I mean i use to use SWG talk on a daily conversation and now i relize how much of a retard i was.... Heres something better than MMORPG's make a buisness and make lots of cash and then you can sit down on your *** and play all day without exercise.... Mountain dew and Sourcream Onion potato chips everything with a side of icecream.... Its like this...

If you play MMORPG'S like WoW you will be unsociable, wont want to go to school, want to just play play play.... And then when a newer game comes out or your tired of this MMORPG you play another one... Now tell me something when you finished your last MMORPG what happen to all that time you played??? IT WAS WASTED!!!! You could have learned something in school or made lots of cash and could have bought a cool car BUT you wasted your time grinding grinding grinding.... Time is money... I understand that WoW created 7 million uneducated people except a knowledge in WoW talk.....

Status
Not open for further replies.