CD-ROM Backup Drive Not an Option

In an upgrade from ME to XP PRO, the CD-ROM
drive is not recognised. It is recognised
in Windows Explorer.
I had DirectCD in ME but Roxio wants $69.95
for the version that works on XP.
4 answers Last reply
More about backup drive option

    Don't know if this update works standalone without Nero installed:
    http://www.nero.com/en/update_nero6.php?pak=5&serv=us
    This insinuates it will:
    http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=4817

    If not, go here, and show where to get retail version:
    http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

    I dropped Roxio/DirectCD many years ago in favor of Nero.
    "Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > In an upgrade from ME to XP PRO, the CD-ROM
    > drive is not recognised. It is recognised
    > in Windows Explorer.
    > I had DirectCD in ME but Roxio wants $69.95
    > for the version that works on XP.

    Skid Schermerhorn <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >In an upgrade from ME to XP PRO, the CD-ROM
    >drive is not recognised. It is recognised
    >in Windows Explorer.

    See "CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code
    32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows
    XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060) and also "Windows
    Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255).

    --
    (tm)

    wrote in news:G66dnQ7N_62d6dXcRVn-pA@adelphia.com:
    > In an upgrade from ME to XP PRO, the CD-ROM
    > drive is not recognised. It is recognised
    > in Windows Explorer.
    > I had DirectCD in ME but Roxio wants $69.95
    > for the version that works on XP.

    NT Backup is a crippled version of Veritas Backup Exec Desktop (which
    got sold off to Stomp Inc. and is now called Backup MyPC). The included
    defragmenter is a crippled version of Diskeeper. The Disk Cleanup
    wizard is a crippled version of CleanSweep. There are problem many more
    examples of Microsoft incorporating other-vendor software in Windows but
    with a reduced feature set. If you want more functionality than the
    crippled utilities provide, you need to buy better utilities.

    I suppose you could save the backup file to disk and then use a utility,
    like PKZip, WinZip, or whatever that supports spanning multiple media,
    to burn the backup file onto CD-R[W]s. Or, as you mention, use a UDF
    writer (loads as an installable file system), like Roxio DirectCD or
    Nero InCD, to save the backup to file on the CD-R[W] media (which then
    looks like a big floppy). However, I don't believe the crippled NT
    Backup progam will span across multiple media (removable disk drives,
    floppies, ZIP disks, or UDF-write-supported CDs) except for tape media.
    So a UDF writer utility might not work, either.

    Also, a CD-ROM drive will *NEVER* be recognized as a target device to
    save backups. CD-ROM = Compact Disk Read-ONLY Media. It is READ-ONLY
    media which means you can never write to it. If you want to use CD-R or
    CD-RW media then you need to get a CD-R[W] drive (or go for the larger
    capacity of a DVD-+RW drive).

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature>
    wrote in news:OMf7JZ5mEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    > "Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net>
    > wrote in news:G66dnQ7N_62d6dXcRVn-pA@adelphia.com:
    >> In an upgrade from ME to XP PRO, the CD-ROM
    >> drive is not recognised. It is recognised
    >> in Windows Explorer.
    >> I had DirectCD in ME but Roxio wants $69.95
    >> for the version that works on XP.
    >
    > NT Backup is a crippled version of Veritas Backup Exec Desktop (which
    > got sold off to Stomp Inc. and is now called Backup MyPC). ...
    <snip>

    I forgot to mention. The crippled NT Backup program also will not
    compress the files it saves into its backup file (unless the device
    supports it in hardware and NT Backup can enable it, like for tape
    drives). So your backups will be pretty big, almost as big as the
    aggregate size of all files you backup, so you'll need LOTS of space on
    the backup media. Backup MyPC provides for compression on any media it
    supports so the backup file is much smaller and you use up less disk
    space or CD-Rs.

    And a warning: ALWAYS enable the Verify option. If you don't verify the
    backups are readable and match the original files then you have no way
    of knowing that the backup is any good. The write to the backup media
    may have been successful but the read can fail. Without a verify after
    backing up, you might find later that the backup is near worthless (the
    backup halts when it hits the first error and often will not recover to
    continue extracting the remainder of the files on the backup media after
    the error). Verifying will double the time to perform a backup, but if
    you think the data is important enough to backup then it must also be
    important enough to ensure you can actually retrieve it if and when
    needed.

CD-Rom Windows XP