king_longis

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I just ordered a barebones system. This will be my first time setting one up. I was looking for any advice anyone may have that could make my life a little easier when it arrives.

new system: cpu athlon xp 2000, gigabyte ga-7vax w/256mb ram ddr 333, 350w power supply

old system: amd k6-2, 256mb, cdrw, dvd, 7gb hd w/win 2000, and 30 gb hd w/o os installed but being used, Diamond Stealth III 540 Xtreme video card, firewire card and a network card connected to a dsl modem.

My plan was to move everything(except the network card bc there is a built into the mobo) into the new system. Then install win 2000 on the 30 gb.

I have two questions?
Do I have anything to be worried about? (I want everything to run smoothly.)
Is it possible to do this without having to reinstall all the programs that point to the 7gb hd as the "windows drive"? (I'm willing to copy everything over to the 30gb if that would work.)

Thanks in advance

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
You may be fortunate in having the HD transfer succeed. Its been my experience that it usually doesn`t...not without a clean install of the prefered OS. Goodluck

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.