PS3 40GB or 60GB refurb?

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
For several reasons, I'm going to purchase a PS3 imminently. My question is which sku should I choose. I'd like to spend under $500 on the console, so I'm limited to two choices: PS3 40GB or PS3 60GB refurbished. Here are the pros/cons of each version as I see it:

PS3 40GB
+ cheaper ($400)
+ comes with Spider Man 3 Blu-Ray (meh...)
+ cooler: 65nm Cell processor

- doesn't play PS2 games

PS3 60GB
+ plays PS2 games
+ more HD capacity

- refurbished
- 30-day warranty only

Any advice one way or the other is appreciated.

I tend to think the 40GB version is the way to go. However, I really want PS2 compatibility as I never had one (I had Xbox and PC) and there are a gazillion PS2 games I missed out on like Katumari, God of War, Metal Gear xx, Shadow of Colossus etc.

exfileme

Splendid
Hmm that's interesting, as I was getting ready to buy that 40GB PlayStation 3 bundle to review games here at Tom's. But if it doesn't play my old PS3 games according to SCEA...

This model of the PLAYSTATION®3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with and will not play PlayStation®2 format software. Some PlayStation® format software may play on this system

...then that's obviously not the model to buy. A guy at Babbage's told me to purchase the refurbished systems, as they feature hardware backwards compatibility rather than the current software version (to make the new models cheaper so he said) that requires a WiFi connection.

I'm not a big fan of refurbished hardware, as I've had problems with buying junk, defective PSPs from EBGames. But it looks like you either should buy the $500 80GB Motorstorm package or get a refurbished model with compatibility hardware.

Don't get me wrong...I like cheap, but like I discovered when buying the XB360 holiday bundle and then finding out the WiFi adapter was another $100, sometimes cheap just isnt worth it.

I totally didn't help you out, but there's my 2 cents worth. :pt1cable:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Well I never play ps2 games so it wasnt a big deal for me since it would still let me play the ps1 games that you can download like twisted metal 2. I would go with the 40gb for a few different reasons. 1.) it is new. 2.) it is a redesigned console with 65nm processors and since it doesnt have the ps2 built into it it uses less power and helps to run cooler.

If you want to play old ps2 games I would try and spring for the 80gb version. Since I dont that is why I didn't get the 80gb.

I actually just bought the 40gb and its heat output compared to my roommates 60gb is just night and day. The 60gb has burned my hand where as the 40gb I really have to feel around for the heat. Oh and if you need more hdd space you can upgrade it urself very easily without affecting your warrenty. I will probably put a 160gb in. Also, I just dont trust or like refurbished hardware. Just my reasons as to why I got one. Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball

lavery

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Dont think the 80gb ps3 plays ps2 games.

TUB

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006

The PS3 80GB will play most (if not, almost all) PS2 games...it depends on the game. My 80GB PS3 played almost every PS2 games I put in (approx: 16 games so far), except Grand Tourismo4 is having problems reading the disk. It's no big deal anyway, unless the any PS2 game(s) can upscaling to 720p or 1080p which I haven't see yet. Otherwise, I don't see any benefit playing on PS3 console with the HDTV.

As for the original post, don't waste your money on refurbished console. Here are my two options:
1) PS3 with 80GB + a free game + 5 free movies by mail..................................$499.00
2) Buy a PS2 for games only and a PS3 40GB for game + movies......................$580.00
Good luck!

venn_copy.jpg

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Just get the cheapest PS3. I got the 80GB and once you start playing the PS3 games (Assassins Creed, COD4, PES 2008, Drake) I haven't touched any of my old PS2 games since. It's not worth getting the support. Save the money on games for the PS3.

exfileme

Splendid
Looks like the cheapest, safest way to go is to pick up the $400 Spider-Man 3 pack (40 GB) and ditch the backward compatibility. The newer models are cooler, plus you won't risk having to deal with faulty refurbished equipment. (shrugs)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
TUB, that image is a very good find...

My personal opinion, to perhaps be the devil's advocate here, would be to go for the 60GB refurb. I've apparently had better experiences with the stuff than other people here, and personally, I'd just favor it due to the fact that it has all the features. And since the PS3 has a pretty tiny library at the moment, without the ability to play PS2 games I think that it's liable to collect dust for a lot of the time.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I would avoid the refeb one... only a 30 day warranty than if it breaks your down $400+ and left with now ps3.

You can always play those ps2 games on your ps2 if you still have it.

holycow02

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Go with the 40GB model since they are eventually going to put the ps2 games on the PlayStationStore just like they are doing with ps1 games. Just wait and download them, get the cooler model, and get the good ps3 games that are out now ( COD4, DMC4, Warhawk, etc) and you will get your ps2 games at some point.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
60 gig. Definitely. If I could remove my PS2 from the entertainment center that would be a definite improvement and certainly worth the small amount of money and effort to track it down.

bliq

Distinguished
Most of the people I've talked to say the games are too expensive anyways and they mostly use it to watch bluray movies. So I guess I'd favor the 40gb one. But then again, my kids already have a couple PS2s so they could still use those if they wanted to.

xinsomniacboix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Get the 60 gig from a reliable seller. The backwards capability is worth it for you in my opinion since you missed out on some of the greatest games ever. The metal gear solid collection coming out comes to mind. Also, idk about others, but the 4 usb ports is very useful to me. (mic, keyboard, can charge more controllers, etc)

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
60gb ps3 is the only one as far as I know with hardware emulation for ps2 games i think the 80gb has some kind of software emu for that but the most compatability with ps2 games definitely comes from the 60gb which is why they are probably the most difficult ones to find now,

iSayuSay

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Well..i'd prefer buy 40GB + slimline PS2..cause you will forget PS2 games anyway several years from now, after PS3 has FF, God of War, Uncharted 2.and close enough from now..RE5

I had a bad experience with 60GB, it hang up when played GTA IV, keep dying when play uncharted and now it has YLOD so i just bought new 40GB Japan ceramic white..cool, elegant, quiet and less power consumption right??

So, i quite hate 60GB, we were "rats of experiments" to test sony's new console and yet i become one of the victim. 60GB was a great system, but not good enough and i feel much improvements on my new 40GB

krizackattack

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If you want to go even farther back the only ps3 you can play snes games on is the 60 gig and thats what i recommend the only reason being is because the 60 gig has backwards compatability and can play ps2 games and a program called snes station came out for ps2 making it possible to play snes games on the ps2 but because the 60gb ps3 is compatible with ps2 games snes station is compatible with the 60gb ps3 and me as a gamer if i can play everything all on one system then :lol:

Early model 80GB's had software support for PS2 games. They claim 85% compatability. As for me, 50 or so games, and not one problem so far with it (Persona 3 ocassonally deleats saves, but otherwise works flawlessly).

Get the 40GB version since it will be new.... In the future if you need more storage space all you have to do is buy a laptop hard-drive and install.......

I have the 20Gb version upgraded to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB and IMO it does not get any better than this..... only drawback is the WiFi but I have an adapter for that......