Cannot Login to Windows XP

My friend has a Compaq laptop with no recovery cd or Windows XP Pro cd with
repair option on it. I have done a bunch of reading for him and I don't
think he's going to be able to get around his problem unless he gets his
hands on one of the two options mentioned above. Anyway, here's his
situation:

Preloaded WinXP Pro on Compaq laptop. Normal boot gives him option of
entering a password for either "Valued Customer" or "Guest". Safe mode boot
gives him an option of entering password for "Administrator" or "Valued
Customer". He has NEVER setup up any passwords for Administrator or any
other users. When he just hits enter at these prompts, if he gets the
cursor blinking in the password prompts and hits enter, or if he gets the
cursor and hits the tab button, he always gets the following message: Local
policy of this system does not permit you to log on interactively.

When he tries a system restore or tries any other of the choices after
hitting F8 during the boot, he always ends up at the blue login screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JM
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot login windows

    First thing to do is create a Boot Floppy Disk, if you are not successfull
    view
    the Support WebCast for all available Boot Options or read if you prefer.
    Create a Boot Floppy Disk with a Windows XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305595&Product=winxp
    1.. Format a floppy disk by using the Windows XP format utility. For
    example, with the floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, type format a: at a
    command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    2.. Copy the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the
    Windows XP Setup CD-ROM, Windows XP Setup floppy disk, or from a computer
    that is running the same version of Windows XP as the computer that you want
    to access with the boot floppy.
    3.. Create a Boot.ini file (or copy one from a computer that is running
    Windows XP), and then modify it to match the computer that you are trying to
    access. The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with
    Windows XP installed in the \Windows folder, but the exact value in the
    [operating systems] section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP
    computer that you are trying to access:

    View This Support WebCast
    http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/seminar/shared/asp/view.asp?url=/servicedesks/webcasts/en/WC062502/manifest.xml

    How To Start System Restore Tool at a Command Prompt in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449&Product=winxp

    Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows XP: Exploring Boot Options and Recovery
    Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324465&Product=winxp

    How To Perform Advanced Clean Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434&Product=winxp#3

    > My friend has a Compaq laptop with no recovery cd or Windows XP Pro cd
    with
    > repair option on it. I have done a bunch of reading for him and I don't
    > think he's going to be able to get around his problem unless he gets his
    > hands on one of the two options mentioned above. Anyway, here's his
    > situation:
    >
    > Preloaded WinXP Pro on Compaq laptop. Normal boot gives him option of
    > entering a password for either "Valued Customer" or "Guest". Safe mode
    boot
    > gives him an option of entering password for "Administrator" or "Valued
    > Customer". He has NEVER setup up any passwords for Administrator or any
    > other users. When he just hits enter at these prompts, if he gets the
    > cursor blinking in the password prompts and hits enter, or if he gets the
    > cursor and hits the tab button, he always gets the following message:
    Local
    > policy of this system does not permit you to log on interactively.
    >
    > When he tries a system restore or tries any other of the choices after
    > hitting F8 during the boot, he always ends up at the blue login screen.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JM

Windows XP