Sign in with
Your question

BF2142 - Patching WTF!!!!

Last response: in Video Games
January 7, 2008 9:07:20 PM

i can not play BF2142 after i have patched to 1.40.

I install the game like so..

I install the game and then patch to 1.25, install northern strike and then patch to 1.40.

when i do this i can not join a server. there are lots but i can not join any of then. I am also told there is a patch available.

WHAT PATCH????

If i install the game and then patch to 1.25 and install northern strike i can join a hand full of servers. I am still told there is a patch to be installed.

i have installed this game a number of times and in a number of different ways, including leaving out northern strike, and nothing seems to work.

System Spec:

Win Xp x64
2gig RAM
AMD 4200+ @ 2750
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
XFX 8800GTS 320meg

Do i need to patch from the 1st patch to last?????? What is the deal with this game and patchz??????

More about : bf2142 patching wtf

January 7, 2008 9:35:05 PM

You shouldnt need to run the patch 1.25 if you run patch 1.40, i think the latest patch includes all the fixes from the previous one, thus making the older patch obselete. Try installing the game, then northern strike, then patch 1.40, if this still doesnt work check your router/firewall/anti virus program and then check punkbuster make sure it isnt screwing up your connection (ive had problems with punkbuster preventing me from joining any servers on any patch edition before....cant remeber how i fixed it though)
January 8, 2008 1:08:28 PM

I did try and only patch with 1.40 but the patch just would not patch. I tried 4x on the last try it said it was done although I thought it had patched way to fast, I then installed northern strike. On the other 3 attempts i would get patch failed or it would just close down.

i then started the game up to see if it had worked. At login i noticed that there was no patch number but I was able to login and select my character. At this point i would either be thrown back to desktop or i would get the wonderful blue screen of death and the PC would reboot.

I did solve the problem thou, i reinstalled windows, well not really i cheated and it worked. :bounce:  :sol:  :kaola: 

i installed winxp 32bit in a vmware virtual machine and then installed the game, patched it and installed northern strike. I then copied this installation to my winxp 64bit installation and now the game works 100%.

When i copied the installation from the virtual pc to my winxp 64bit installation all i did was delete the installation of BF2142 on the 64bit machine i did not uninstall it so all the registry entries where still on the PC, including the games key.

So there is either something that the 1.40 patch does not like with my 64bit installation or this game just has issues with winxp64, even though it works eventually :pt1cable:  :D 

January 8, 2008 1:39:20 PM

Hi JonnyRock,

I am a v. frequent player of BF2142 and it seems to run OK on my Windows XP x64 installation (dual-Opteron - i.e. not too program friendly :sol:  )!! I didn't have any problems with patching to 1.25 or 1.40 either...

The game really rocks!! I still have nightmares about a soldier jumping towards me with a knife in his hand while I unload an empty clip into him... Ahhh Ahhh... The dogtags... The dogtags :o 

Is the Northern Strike pack worth the extra cash or not?? I can't say I need any more variety with the game (it all feels like too much sometimes!! :pt1cable:  )

Bob
January 8, 2008 1:57:25 PM

i have no idea why i have had so many issues installing and updating the game, but hey its patched and working waaaaawoooooo :bounce: 

i bought the game at a GAME store here in the UK and saw northern strike at PC World a few days later for only 7 ponds, so i bought it. I have no idea what it adds or if it is worth the money. i just wanted to have an up to date installation when i started playing.

I do however like this game and have a heck of a lot of catching up to do. :heink:  :whistle: 

WARNING noob deploying to the battlefield!!!!!!!!!! :D 

January 8, 2008 2:25:00 PM

You'll probably run into this error at some point or another. The epic freeze at 50-60% map load. They (EA) don't tell you how to fix it, but you can get the necessary information here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/show_...

Also, make sure you're running the game at your monitors native res. If it's not, read up on how to do a customer resolution, here: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_9.html

I enjoy some of the Battlefield games, but they really need to pull their head out of their a#$es for Battlefield 3 or whatever the next installment is. I hate seeing the same game re-skinned, same problems, unaddressed, etc.
January 8, 2008 2:32:50 PM

If in doubt register at ea.com and create an account, they offer plenty of detailed help and steps on patch fixes, etc. for all of their games. I have had problems before like activating booster packs and such and the answers were at ea.com.
January 8, 2008 4:16:17 PM

rgeist554 said:
You'll probably run into this error at some point or another. The epic freeze at 50-60% map load. They (EA) don't tell you how to fix it, but you can get the necessary information here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/show_...

Also, make sure you're running the game at your monitors native res. If it's not, read up on how to do a customer resolution, here: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_9.html

I enjoy some of the Battlefield games, but they really need to pull their head out of their a#$es for Battlefield 3 or whatever the next installment is. I hate seeing the same game re-skinned, same problems, unaddressed, etc.

Battleifeld 3 is surposed to be having a "fully destructable environemnt".....I read it somewhere, so that alone will cause a whole new torrent of bugs that needs fixing, allthough i think bf2142 in my opinion was the least buggy yet, compaired to my troubles with bf2 anyrate....Havent played vietnam and bf1942.
January 8, 2008 4:19:25 PM

uk_gangsta said:
Battleifeld 3 is surposed to be having a "fully destructible environment".....

Must be time to get the wallet out again!! :hello: 

Bob
January 8, 2008 4:46:45 PM

bobwya said:
Must be time to get the wallet out again!! :hello: 

Bob

Eh? what you mean?....i dont get it.....
January 8, 2008 7:06:56 PM

Hi UK_GANGSTA

I mean like you know system crysis (sic) - time to get new hardware!! I love the BF series (bugs and all) so this could be a tough choice eat or gaming!! :sol: 

Bob
January 8, 2008 7:40:31 PM

OOhhhh i seeee! I usualy upgrade half the pc the end of every year anyway, so shouldnt be a problem for me. Hopefully it wont be to graphicaly intensive though, just good fights and funny stuff happening. (killing people with the defrilabrator etc lol)
January 8, 2008 9:26:41 PM

I will have to agree with rgeist554. I like how they decreased the load time in 2142 and the servers work smoother but that was about it. The two things that I found insane and downright annoying were the same dialogs that were converted into stiff robot voices like "Fight harder men, we are losing the battle" (if you play it you know what I am talking about because it sounds so bad...imagine Stephen Hawking saying it) and having to waste upgrades on things like grenades and ammo boxes.

Actually though, the main point for posting was to say thanks for the 50% load freeze info. I didn't know there was a solution to that!
January 8, 2008 10:01:12 PM

Yeh,

That map load bug had me psyched out till I found the fix on-line a couple of weeks ago!! U know along the lines of 'oh no my GPU core OC is killing my system!!'

Bob
January 9, 2008 1:06:42 PM

My brother and I ran into the 50%-60% map freeze bug one too many times. Also had the map load but get CtD at the end, and yet another one where my controls would get reset. Eventually I got tired of the crap and wrote a batch file to fix the problems. Now, if I have any issue, I run my program, select which problem to fix and voila! BF2142.

Additionally, I find the *best* patching procedure when reinstalling to be the following:

Install B2142
Patch to 1.40 (Its one file, runs all previous patches, takes forever, EA/Dice Sucks)
Install NS (can't install without patching beforehand apparently nobody ever thought of including a patch with the NS install file, WTF???)
Patch to 1.40 again with same file as in step 2 (runs through the whole process again, still takes forever, EA/Dice still sucks)

Play about 75% problem free until next install or COD4.

:ange: 

January 9, 2008 5:10:18 PM

JonnyRock said:
i have no idea why i have had so many issues installing and updating the game, but hey its patched and working waaaaawoooooo :bounce: 

i bought the game at a GAME store here in the UK and saw northern strike at PC World a few days later for only 7 ponds, so i bought it. I have no idea what it adds or if it is worth the money. i just wanted to have an up to date installation when i started playing.

I do however like this game and have a heck of a lot of catching up to do. :heink:  :whistle: 

WARNING noob deploying to the battlefield!!!!!!!!!! :D 

I havent tried northern strike but i heard that it has more intense maps, something akin to strike at karkand on bf2 but this time for bf 2142.
January 9, 2008 7:27:03 PM

spoonboy said:
I havent tried northern strike but i heard that it has more intense maps, something akin to strike at karkand on bf2 but this time for bf 2142.

Ah interesting may favorite BF2 map (the front-line action was very intensive at the border of the town)!! I will trying googling for some reviews of the pack... I bet its got lots more of those stupid Intel ads :sol:  everywhere...

Bob
!