Granite mobo reviews - Get 845PE instead!

read_NChomsky

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2002
For those that haven't seen toms Granite Mobo test, this is an eye-opener:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021125/index.html

I have been waiting for Granite bay mobos (Gigabyte 8INXP) to start a whole new rig under the impression that dual memory would boost me to 850 Rambus performance using DDR memory that is cheaper and has a future with my next computer/mobo upgrade. Plus AGP 8X.

The heck with it, after seeing this review I'm going back to the 845PE - some great boards available right now (Asus P4PE), I can still by DDR and reuse it when/if dual memory and AGP 8 means something. And now that the first Granite mobos are coming out (a Gigabyte I think) maybe prices on PEs will soften further...

Anything wrong with this thinking?

I know Tom provides lots of disclaimers in the review since the boards aren't final. Still, seeing Windows XP perform 12% FASTER with 845PE than with dual 7205 and with most other comparisons less than 1% difference ...

of COURSE the roads... but BESIDES the roads, what have the romans ever done for us!!!??!!

bentterp

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2002
Yes, it is indeed an eye-opener: it made me realise that Tom's Hardware is a gamer's site ;-)

Testing a dual-cpu server motherboard with a single cpu and Quake as benchmark is a bit misleading....

But no, I don't think anybody intended the 7505 and 7205 chipsets to end up in glorified playstations :)

And yes, I also play - when I can find something that'll run on my old Celeron 300 :-(