What is a simple way to check the functioning of a sound card? I have a hp
pavilion 6730 and all audio except for playing cds has gone totally caput for
my pc.

hi,
go to http://www.driverguide.com
do a simple search for 4299vxd. these are drivers that work for a
pavilion 6730 crystal audio card .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

hi,
i should have mentioned that you would need to register and then log
in .
the page that opens when you log in has a list of different searchs
under the word drivers on the left margin .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

>hi,
>go to http://www.driverguide.com
>do a simple search for 4299vxd. these are drivers that work for a
>pavilion 6730 crystal audio card .

How do I do a simple search for 4299vxd? I tried searching the list of drivers
made available from the main page but this did not turn it up.

Sorry to be a pest ..but,

When I try to run the driverguide toolkit program after fully downloading i
experience the windows errors,

The c:\windows\desktop\dgt.exe file appears to be corrupt. Reinstall the file,
and then try again. | Windows cannot run this program because it is in an
invalid format.

hi,
i have had great results with belarc advisor available at
http://www.belarc.com
it is a utility that lists the hardware and software on your computer
..
i suggested the 4299vxd.zip because it works on my pavilion 6730
running 98se . do you have the recoverey disk set ? if not they are
available at http://www.dewaldsr.com .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

>hi,
>i have had great results with belarc advisor available at
>http://www.belarc.com
>it is a utility that lists the hardware and software on your computer
>.
>i suggested the 4299vxd.zip because it works on my pavilion 6730
>running 98se . do you have the recoverey disk set ? if not they are
>available at http://www.dewaldsr.com .
>hope this helps,
>terry

Would the recovery disk set help determine if my sound card was working..??...

william,
go to http://www.infohq.com/Computer/computer-sound-card-help.htm
they have the instructions for testing your sound in windows and
checking if the device is installed in device manager . most of the
problems i have had with sound cards were driver related . i
mentioned the recovery disks because they have all the original
drivers as well as the software that came with your system when it
was new .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

>william,
>go to http://www.infohq.com/Computer/computer-sound-card-help.htm
>they have the instructions for testing your sound in windows and
>checking if the device is installed in device manager . most of the
>problems i have had with sound cards were driver related . i
>mentioned the recovery disks because they have all the original
>drivers as well as the software that came with your system when it
>was new .

I tried the link but as far as I know a sound card is installed from viewing
device manager. Is this not the device listed as "crystal wdm audio codec"?