Did you do a direct UPGRADE from WIN98SE? Did it work for ..

For some of my machines, I need to set up a dual boot, but for one
particular machine, I have no excuse to dual boot and it's a little
clunky to set it up, so I am considering a direct upgrade. I've read al
the FUD about this - has anyone had a -good- experience? and, if so,
what do you think you did (or didn't do) to get there?
/thanks
/j
13 answers Last reply
More about direct upgrade win98se work

    Upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP is an
    easy upgrade, as long as you make initial preparations.

    Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
    run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
    or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
    Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
    Windows XP.

    If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
    Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
    "upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
    plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

    It is imperative that you have the latest BIOS update installed. Visit the support
    website of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard for instructions
    on updating your computer's BIOS.

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Also, physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware devices,
    especially USB devices (not including your mouse, keyboard or
    monitor). Uninstall any antivirus program, too!

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

    Clean Install Windows XP (optional)

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from Windows 98
    or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Jeff W" wrote:

    | For some of my machines, I need to set up a dual boot, but for one
    | particular machine, I have no excuse to dual boot and it's a little
    | clunky to set it up, so I am considering a direct upgrade. I've read al
    | the FUD about this - has anyone had a -good- experience? and, if so,
    | what do you think you did (or didn't do) to get there?
    | /thanks
    | /j

    I've upgraded from Win9x/Me/2000 to XP several times. My experience has
    always be positive and I've used different systems when running upgrades.
    However your experience might be different. Here are my suggestions:

    Upgrading from Me to XP can go very well for some and can really be a
    disaster for others. You should make absolutely certain that you have made a
    backup of your important data first. This can not be over emphasised. While
    most well thought out upgrades are problem free no major upgrade like this
    can be 100% perfect so BACKUP. In my opinion it is preferable to make a full
    system image of your Me setup using a product like Acronis TrueImage or
    Norton Ghost (or other imaging program). That way if things really go wrong
    you can quickly revert back to your Me setup to either try again or live
    with.

    There are a number of first things to do before upgrading.
    1)You need to ensure that you have XP drivers for your hardware. If you
    install this little freeware app it will tell you a lot about your hardware
    and direct you to downloads
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en Make certain that
    you have drivers for your motherboard, network card or modem. You may need
    to get on line ASAP after the upgrade.

    2) Windows XP has an Upgrade Advisor on the CD. You should run that before
    upgrading and heed the report it generates. You can download the Advisor
    from here but it is very large so be forewarned
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    3) I suggest that if you have a high speed connection you should download
    SP2 and copy to CD. You can get the full version of it here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    4) Run anti-spyware programs like CWShredder, Ad-Aware or SpyBot Search &
    Destroy etc
    and do a virus scan. http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

    5) Prior to running the upgrade you must do some serious disk cleanup and
    maintenance work. The first thing to do is to uninstall some programs that
    will cause problems for you later if not uninstalled first. You can later
    reinstall them if they are supported in XP. a) You must uninstall all CD
    Writing software - (Easy CD Creator, Direct CD, Nero, InCD etc) Look for
    upgrades before reinstalling in XP.
    b) Uninstall any third party disk management tools like Norton SystemWorks,
    GoBack, System Mechanic or the like. These can be reinstalled after the
    upgrade.
    c) Uninstall any Antivirus software and any Firewall software you have
    installed. These can be reinstalled after the upgrade.
    d) Reset any tweaking programs you've used like Tweakui to their defaults
    and then remove the application
    e) Ensure that you have the installation files or CDs handy for your
    currently installed apps. Many programs make the transition fine but others
    will need to be reinstalled again after the upgrade.
    f) Do a decent cleanup, dump temp files, empty the recycle bin, if you are
    upgrading Windows Me turn off
    System Restore as your current SR Points won't survive the upgrade (In Me
    you do that through System Properties->Performance Tab->File settings
    button->Advanced Tab.)
    g) Run defrag.
    The above should render your system in decent shape for an upgrade

    6) Unplug unnecessary peripherals like scanners, printers, cameras and the
    like.

    7) Reboot to the desktop and pop the XP CD into the drive. Select
    Install->Upgrade [recommended] and let the games begin.

    8) When the install completes you will be asked if you want to Activate.
    Choose Not at this time. You really need to finish the setup and ensure that
    your hardware is supported before Activating.

    9) You don't want to go online until you've enabled the Firewall. In fact
    you may wish to temporarily disconnect your internet by pulling the cable.
    Do this to avoid contracting the Blaster or Sasser Worm virus.

    10) Install SP2 from the download you saved and finally install your
    Antivirus software.

    Good Luck. More info here
    Upgrade info http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
    Clean Install info http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    Windows Product Activation http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
    Service Pack 2 info
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    | For some of my machines, I need to set up a dual boot, but for one
    | particular machine, I have no excuse to dual boot and it's a little
    | clunky to set it up, so I am considering a direct upgrade. I've read al
    | the FUD about this - has anyone had a -good- experience? and, if so,
    | what do you think you did (or didn't do) to get there?
    | /thanks
    | /j

    Thanks Carey - I know it's easy, but there's a lot of FUD out there
    about even a smooth upgrade resulting in a slower system because of the
    mixing of XP files with the old O/S....
    /j

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    >Upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP is an
    >easy upgrade, as long as you make initial preparations.
    >
    >Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
    >run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
    >or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
    >Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
    >Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
    >"upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
    >plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

    Good data Harry, thanks
    Did you ever experience an upgrade that went smoothly (or didn't but got
    fixed), and when you were done XP ran fine, just sluggish though?
    /j

    > Good data Harry, thanks
    > Did you ever experience an upgrade that went smoothly (or didn't but got
    > fixed), and when you were done XP ran fine, just sluggish though?
    > /j

    Yes as I mentioned in my previous post I have upgraded several systems
    running different versions of Windows.
    XP can be sluggish for a couple of reasons. The first can be corrected by
    running Defrag after the upgrade. The second is due to low end specs. While
    XP will run stable enough on a low end system - ie PII 450mhz with 256RAM it
    certainly isn't fast. On low end systems one should turn off as much eye
    candy as possible to improve performance. Remember that low end systems
    can't be expected to be speed deamons but they can still benefit from the
    stability XP provides.

    On the other hand upgrading a Windows 9x/Me system that is currently running
    poorly is not a good idea. Fix the problems before you upgrade.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Jeff W wrote:
    > For some of my machines, I need to set up a dual boot, but for one
    > particular machine, I have no excuse to dual boot and it's a little
    > clunky to set it up, so I am considering a direct upgrade. I've
    > read
    > al the FUD about this - has anyone had a -good- experience? and, if
    > so, what do you think you did (or didn't do) to get there?
    > /thanks
    > /j

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks - my WIN98 System runs quite well - very well in fact, but that
    doesn't mean there isn't a lot of junk in the system area from programs
    installed and uninistalled etc. Some have said that, on the same
    hardware, an upgrade runs slower than a clean install but I'm suspecting
    that's FUD and it sounds like you agree?

    thanks
    /j

    ummm - thanks Bruce for the comments - I have spent weeks preparing for
    this and have read a couple of books (like inside out) as well as
    everything you suggest. However, this issue about clean, smooth
    upgrades being inferior still seems to be out there, and i'd appreciate
    your thoughts if you have anything to contribute

    One thing to consider is what is meant by the term "runs slower". If I
    believe that doing a clean install is always better then I am going to be
    more sensitive to performance problems occurring if I run an Upgrade. It is
    true that a clean install will initially seem to run faster than an upgrade.
    But what happens to the speed difference as you begin installing
    applications and bringing the system closer to the system state that the
    upgrade is in?

    Try this. Do a clean install of XP using the FAT32 format, defrag, and run
    some basic benchmark tests. Then do a clean install of 98SE and immediately
    follow that up by upgrading to XP, defrag and then run the same tests. See
    if there is a significant difference in performance.
    --

    Jeff W wrote:
    > ummm - thanks Bruce for the comments - I have spent weeks preparing
    > for this and have read a couple of books (like inside out) as well
    > as
    > everything you suggest. However, this issue about clean, smooth
    > upgrades being inferior still seems to be out there, and i'd
    > appreciate your thoughts if you have anything to contribute

    Some people will recommend that you perform a clean installation,
    rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part, I feel
    that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and are
    basing their recommendation on their experiences with older operating
    systems. You'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading your PC to
    WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if you've no
    hardware or software incompatibilities. Microsoft has greatly
    improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to
    smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.

    Should you have one of the rare cases where the upgrade proves to
    be problematic at a later date, you can always perform a clean
    installation, at that time. It's a small gamble, granted, risking
    only your time, but the odds are very much in your favor.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > One thing to consider is what is meant by the term "runs slower". If I
    > believe that doing a clean install is always better then I am going
    > to be more sensitive to performance problems occurring if I run an
    > Upgrade. It is true that a clean install will initially seem to run
    > faster than an upgrade. But what happens to the speed difference as
    > you begin installing applications and bringing the system closer to
    > the system state that the upgrade is in?
    >
    > Try this. Do a clean install of XP using the FAT32 format, defrag,
    > and run some basic benchmark tests. Then do a clean install of 98SE
    > and immediately follow that up by upgrading to XP, defrag and then
    > run the same tests. See if there is a significant difference in
    > performance.

    Harry,
    That was a brilliant analysis of why people think the clean install is
    faster than the upgrade. I have witnessed the exact behavior on several
    systems. After the clean install system is built up to the same as what the
    upgrade would be, the difference is negligible.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Ditto - thanks!

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    >Harry,
    >That was a brilliant analysis of why people think the clean install is
    >faster than the upgrade. I have witnessed the exact behavior on several
    >systems. After the clean install system is built up to the same as what the
    >upgrade would be, the difference is negligible.

    Thanks Michael.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Harry Ohrn wrote:
    >> One thing to consider is what is meant by the term "runs slower". If I
    >> believe that doing a clean install is always better then I am going
    >> to be more sensitive to performance problems occurring if I run an
    >> Upgrade. It is true that a clean install will initially seem to run
    >> faster than an upgrade. But what happens to the speed difference as
    >> you begin installing applications and bringing the system closer to
    >> the system state that the upgrade is in?
    >>
    >> Try this. Do a clean install of XP using the FAT32 format, defrag,
    >> and run some basic benchmark tests. Then do a clean install of 98SE
    >> and immediately follow that up by upgrading to XP, defrag and then
    >> run the same tests. See if there is a significant difference in
    >> performance.
    >
    > Harry,
    > That was a brilliant analysis of why people think the clean install is
    > faster than the upgrade. I have witnessed the exact behavior on several
    > systems. After the clean install system is built up to the same as what
    > the upgrade would be, the difference is negligible.
    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    > xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com
    > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP