Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Elder Scrolls V comming out??

Last response: in Video Games
January 10, 2008 5:41:21 PM

never
January 10, 2008 6:26:07 PM

lol, Bethesda making Fallout 3, which is like Fallout, but like Oblivion..

Quote:
The next installment is tentatively titled The Elder Scrolls V. Development will begin on the game after Bethesda completes work on Fallout 3

And that will be another 5 years after Fallout... so 2013 I guess.
Related resources
January 11, 2008 3:03:49 PM

stemnin said:
lol, Bethesda making Fallout 3, which is like Fallout, but like Oblivion..

Quote:
The next installment is tentatively titled The Elder Scrolls V. Development will begin on the game after Bethesda completes work on Fallout 3

And that will be another 5 years after Fallout... so 2013 I guess.

Noooo, it was hard enough to wait for Oblivion after I finished Morrowind. :cry: 
January 11, 2008 4:54:02 PM

I just sent an inquiry to Bethesda... we'll see if they answer (usually does). I'll edit this post with the response (if any).

UPDATE: Here is the official response I received from Bethesda:

Quote:
Right now all we're talking about is Fallout 3. I think it's pretty safe to assume we'll do another game after the success of Oblivion, but when that will be or when we'll be talking about it is TBD.

In other words, "it's our little secret" :kaola: 
January 11, 2008 6:10:05 PM

odd, I was told it was definite that no more eldar scrolls games are coming out.... (then again, i cant remember who told me that so....)
January 11, 2008 8:08:57 PM

Well tey have to design another useless and anoying graphics engine first that need rediculous amount of computing horsepower just to let it run......badly....dont even think about it running on your pc your on now.

As for the next one coming out, i would say before the next 10 years.
January 12, 2008 9:47:31 AM

I'd predict that the game might come out PROBABLY in 2011-2012; that would give them 3-4 solid years or so from the release of Fallout 3, which appears to be occupying >95% of their time, people and resources. Needless to say, this won't be a game that will appear on the current crop of consoles; this will be in the first couple of years of the 8th generation of consoles; i.e, the Playstation 4, next Xbox, and whatever the heck Nintendo decides to call the successor to the Wii.
GrandAdmiralThrawn said:
Noooo, it was hard enough to wait for Oblivion after I finished Morrowind. :cry: 

Think about those of us that waited from Daggerfall (1996) to Morrowind! Learn to have a little patience, please. :p 

spuddyt said:
odd, I was told it was definite that no more eldar scrolls games are coming out.... (then again, i cant remember who told me that so....)

I haven't the foggiest idea where you could've gotten that. Well, not from anyone actually at BethSoft, since they've been pretty solid and repetitive in their "we're talking about Fallout 3 now."

uk_gangsta said:
Well tey have to design another useless and anoying graphics engine first that need rediculous amount of computing horsepower just to let it run......badly....dont even think about it running on your pc your on now.

This sort of whining irritates me. Oblivion runs fine (read: smoothly on ultra-high with tweaks to put it above that) on my computer that's 2 years older than the game.

That, and BethSoft doesn't make their own graphics engines anymore: they've licensed GameBryo (formerly NetImmerse) for both Morrowind and Oblivion; the latter was just a newer version, akin to going from Unreal 2.0 to Unreal 3.0.
January 14, 2008 1:35:45 AM

nottheking said:
Oblivion runs fine (read: smoothly on ultra-high with tweaks to put it above that) on my computer that's 2 years older than the game.

I would really like to see that. Oblivion came out in 2006, so you are saying that with a CPU and GPU from 2004 you can run the graphic at Ultra Hi. :hello: 
January 14, 2008 5:54:33 AM

nottheking wrote :

Oblivion runs fine (read: smoothly on ultra-high with tweaks to put it above that) on my computer that's 2 years older than the game.

I would really like to see that. Oblivion came out in 2006, so you are saying that with a CPU and GPU from 2004 you can run the graphic at Ultra Hi. :hello: 

good boy, he can count!
January 17, 2008 7:21:20 AM

I wouldnt be surprised if the next elder scrolls was an mmorpg... Id certainly give that one a go.
January 17, 2008 9:49:12 AM

Just before my interview with Pete Hines (VP of Marketing) in Chicago during the Oblivion Press Tour for my old gaming podcast, I had asked about a sequel to Oblivion. Pete had said that of course they'd be working on a sequel. It probably won't be called Oblivion 2 though.

Keep in mind, they're a decent sized company. They had people working on Fallout 3 before Oblivion was done, and they probably have people doing the ground work for ES5 if it's not already done. There was also a rumor that they were pursuing a Elder Scrolls Online MMORPG.
January 17, 2008 10:34:01 AM

ryanlord said:
Just before my interview with Pete Hines (VP of Marketing) in Chicago during the Oblivion Press Tour for my old gaming podcast, I had asked about a sequel to Oblivion. Pete had said that of course they'd be working on a sequel. It probably won't be called Oblivion 2 though.

Keep in mind, they're a decent sized company. They had people working on Fallout 3 before Oblivion was done, and they probably have people doing the ground work for ES5 if it's not already done. There was also a rumor that they were pursuing a Elder Scrolls Online MMORPG.

If it's Oblivion with multiplayer i'd be down with that.
January 18, 2008 5:38:04 PM

Trialsking said:

Yep. Technically, my CPU's actually from 2003, (as a Socket 754 Athlon64) though I built the machine in spring 2004. The graphics card is a Radeon X800XT, which performs curiously well in the game. (i.e, comparable to the top-end GeForce 78xx/79xx cards)

ryanlord said:
It probably won't be called Oblivion 2 though.

Something called that would actually make me lose all faith I had in the company... And it's a faith that's stood countless tests.

ryanlord said:
There was also a rumor that they were pursuing a Elder Scrolls Online MMORPG.

Not BethSoft, but another of Xenimax's studios, as I recall; Vr2lOnline, or something like that. No mention was made of it as an Elder Scrolls title, but it was aired that they were doing consideration of an MMO. It could also be a possibility that they're waiting (and assuming) for Interplay to fail on their obligation for a Fallout Online, and will snatch that up.
May 16, 2008 5:32:20 AM

I've had a similar experience.....socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-55, eVGA geForce 6800 Ultra 256MB video card, 2GB DDR Corsair TWINX-PRO RAM, Audigy X2 Platinum Pro sound, and SATA hdd's and I can run it max with all of the high-res texture packs and graphics tweaks. It does lag a bit in dense forests during battles with multiple foes.

It's not at all far-fetched. All it takes a modest amount of computer hardware know-how.

Btw, TES afficionado here. Played since 1997 (DF of course). If Beth turns this into a MMO I'd be extremely shocked and upset. So would my wife. If they want to spin off another franchise, I'd understand that, and it would even make sense to me, but converting TES into an MMO would ruin the game and alienate the vast majority of their fanbase (who VEHEMENTLY oppose such a move....just read their forums!). TES is a game that would be ruined by online play. It should stay offline or just die a quiet death. This is not to say that a spinoff game wouldn't work (I'm sure it would do okay at least early on.....long-term success is hard to predict with no knowledge of the details).

They are working on TESV, and have been since OB was released, even if only in a very small capacity. It will come....just be patient. I'm sure we'll hear something later this fall after FO3 is released.
May 16, 2008 5:45:51 AM

i played oblivion on my old gamer box. p4c800-e deluxe mobo, P4 2.4C, 2 gigs of Geil Gold Dragon, an old ATI 9800PRO 128, and a WD 7200 SATA HD. The graphics were turned up very high with a few minor tweaks and ran just fine.
May 17, 2008 1:41:07 PM

If I remember correctly my older computers back then could run it at the highest settings except for AA and AF. Really, while the face textures were ugly, it did a good job with the hardware.

I don't see why Elder Scrolls wouldn't work as an MMO. It already plays a bit like one. All I can imagine is that most of the people objecting so vehemently never played an MMO.
June 7, 2008 10:00:43 PM

I have only played Oblivion with the Shivering Isles add-on an i LOVE the game! It's intense! but i also plaed Two Worlds, andgot lost an tried to goonlin but the server was so bad that no one could move let alone fight...but if the 5th Elder Scrolls comes out to be a MMORPG or MMO than i won't even try t go online with it...I hated Two Worlds, and if the nex one is like that...all laggy and lame and not easy to follow along with (for anyone who has played Two Worlds)...i just don't wanna see a whole 3+years got to waste on another stupid crappy game....DOUBT IT WILL HAPPEN THOUGH! :) 
June 8, 2008 10:49:14 AM

I don't think Bethesda is interested in making an MMO, but I can guarantee it won't be as bad as Two Worlds. That game just sucked.
June 24, 2008 6:32:52 PM

i hope it come in 2010-2012. I hope its still in tamrel.kavatch is rebuilt!
June 24, 2008 6:43:56 PM

I rather they just have some sort of coop where we could dance in the fields of grass together than a MMO, GOLD PLZ MENS!
June 25, 2008 3:56:34 PM

I really hope that they don't make it a mmo there are already alot of those and far too few good single player rpgs that have the scale and freedom offered in the Elder Scrolls games (just my opinion)
June 26, 2008 5:53:11 PM

what happened to the so called sandbox title in IV? i didn't like 4. if 5 had a new engine with better graphics I might check it out though.
June 26, 2008 6:26:10 PM

bpogdowz said:
what happened to the so called sandbox title in IV?

What do you mean.
Anonymous
June 27, 2008 12:31:24 AM

anyone who has played two worlds and oblivion... which is better... I have played two worlds and liked it... but I am wondering if I should get oblivion
June 28, 2008 9:07:24 PM

Well, I only played the demo for two worlds, but I hated it, so my opinion probably is not the one you are looking for, but for what it is worth, I thought Oblivion was far superior.
Anonymous
June 29, 2008 4:03:55 AM

nottheking said:
Yep. Technically, my CPU's actually from 2003, (as a Socket 754 Athlon64) though I built the machine in spring 2004. The graphics card is a Radeon X800XT, which performs curiously well in the game. (i.e, comparable to the top-end GeForce 78xx/79xx cards)

Something called that would actually make me lose all faith I had in the company... And it's a faith that's stood countless tests.

Not BethSoft, but another of Xenimax's studios, as I recall; Vr2lOnline, or something like that. No mention was made of it as an Elder Scrolls title, but it was aired that they were doing consideration of an MMO. It could also be a possibility that they're waiting (and assuming) for Interplay to fail on their obligation for a Fallout Online, and will snatch that up.

you are pissing me off so badly its Bethesda not Bethsoft that was like 5 years ago and yes it is going to be a mmorpg like WoW
Anonymous
November 17, 2008 8:27:21 AM

Yes it is coming out
Either 2009 or 2010
After oblivion the team split into three
1. Fallout 3
2. Oblivion update
3. New oblivion

Fallout is finsihed and so are the updates
So surelyt it is?
November 17, 2008 9:05:01 AM

Quote:
you are pissing me off so badly its Bethesda not Bethsoft that was like 5 years ago and yes it is going to be a mmorpg like WoW

FEAR NERDRAGE!!!

Keep it single player. Add in an economy so the player can act as a rader type. Extend the Assassin sub-plots (best bits :D  ) Rework the AI on the followers, EG the Brotherhood chaps or just remove em.
Make playing a warrior type more interesting than bashing the attack button (different moves, stuns, bashes, disarms etc) Sort out the stupid slidy walk thing that i was sorry to see make a return in Fallout 3.

Oh, and give me a Gatling Laser.

As for release dates, they can take as long as they need to, to make it a worthy succesor. I'm sure they will as well.
November 26, 2008 4:12:51 AM

They say 2010, howevr if its the last Quarter of 2010, expect a delay till 2011.
And yes they said it will be singleplayer and they wouldn't RUIN it by turning a well made series into an MMO
November 26, 2008 6:43:39 AM

This thread has been shamelessly bumped so many time...don't you guys think it's time to call it off? you've racked the poor al' dog.

also
Quote:
And yes they said it will be singleplayer and they wouldn't RUIN it by turning a well made series into an MMO

don't quote without link to source.
December 13, 2008 3:07:16 AM

But...but...some of these threads are the ONLY info some of us newbies have on TESV! So keep updating, adding to the thread!

I am *SUCH* a computer illiterate it would make you all sick; however, i will go out on a limb here and assume a "MMO" is one of those multi-player, online games like WoW or Evercrack -- I mean Everquest? As a long time tabletop RPGer, and totally unfamilair w/computer RPGs since...oh, the ORIGINAL Bard's Tale on the C64...I Stumbled Upon a humors thread about some drunk guy on some forum somewhere who did terrible things to his Oblivion game while drunk, and he showed screenshots....THAT is what caught my attention. That, and when I looked for more info on the game, I found the almost-open RP possible, well, I was sold.

However, I never would have found out about any of it were it not for older threads being updated.

I just bought Morrowind (GotY edition, with Tribunal, Bloodmoon & the construction set) from eBay and though the graphics don't look as intense, I have read nothgin but good things about the plots and the world, so I will give it a try.

So, thanks, those of you who still peek in and post on these old threads! You've confirmed the good thigns about Morrowind for me and I've some news on TESV!

BTW...I have to admit, annoymously here, that I am the wimpiest player ever. I use god mode all the time and just explore and save and a go back and do things over a different way, and to me combat is just a small part of the game, a part that I'm not really into. I cheat code soem thigns into my inventory to help me get over combat and on with the exploration and RP: Goldbrand, some varla stone to charge it, and the helm of the deep delver or a ring of grand light, maybe a ring of skimming so I can walk on water and get some interesting views, and I'm set. Aslso, I hve not done any of the theives guild or assasins guild stuff...I like being a good guy. But I love the game, and I just wanna express...I dunno, my nephew (who plays all kinds of PS, XBox, etc, games) thinks I'm a wimp, but I just like to EXPLORE...am I really that unusual of a player??
December 15, 2008 9:22:50 AM

Lots of people cheat, thats why you get 10billion results when you google "xxxx game cheat"
Most people on this forum jack up the difficulty to ultra extreme headshot mode and play with one arm behind their back, the other amputated and discarded into a nearby rusty bucket.
Go WoW on a RP server, i think you may like it.
December 15, 2008 2:04:50 PM

For a person who has never played any elder scrolls game, which one should I break myself in on? I would like to peep into oblivion first, but it seems like the older ones should be checked out too.
December 15, 2008 4:50:07 PM

cappster said:
For a person who has never played any elder scrolls game, which one should I break myself in on? I would like to peep into oblivion first, but it seems like the older ones should be checked out too.

The first one I played was Morrowind its definetly worth playing even if it is a few years old, Oblivion is also quite good, but to be honest there are some things that I liked better in Morrowind. I've heard that Daggerfall is quite good but I have not played it yet. One thing to keep in mind if you try Morrowind first is that it does not provide much guidence early on and it can take awhile to figure out and get into the game, but it is very worth the time it can take.
December 16, 2008 6:45:37 AM

+1 Morrowind.
Daggerfall and Arena are too dated, and require emulation software to run nowadays which is too much hassle for me.
Pick up a Morrowind GOTY for a fiver off eBay.
December 16, 2008 1:11:47 PM

Are there any good mods for the marrowind?
January 8, 2009 5:20:24 AM

Actually, there may be an Elder Scrolls V. In an interview, the some Bethesda guy said that they have their hands full with Fallout 3. BUT he said that it would be a perfect game for 2010! But he said they have nowhere to start right now, not even the storyboard. I mean how r u supposed to follow up to the total ennialation of hell itself? You tell me! So we'll just have to w8 and see. Peace! :o 
January 8, 2009 2:24:52 PM

dafyingmonkey said:
Actually, there may be an Elder Scrolls V. In an interview, the some Bethesda guy said that they have their hands full with Fallout 3. BUT he said that it would be a perfect game for 2010! But he said they have nowhere to start right now, not even the storyboard. I mean how r u supposed to follow up to the total ennialation of hell itself? You tell me! So we'll just have to w8 and see. Peace! :o 

As I recall Hell wasnt annihilated, The temporary gates between one plane of oblivion and tamriel were closed, and mehrunes dagon was hurled back to his plain of oblivion again. I dont think he was actually slain, although I could be wrong but I believe most daedra merely return to their plain of oblivion when slain in tamriel, I dont see why the same would not be true of Mehrunes Dagon. Im not sure that without a "heir of septim blood" and without the dragon fires if theres anything to prevent Mehrunes Dagon licking his wounds for a while and then making a come back...

Bethesda proved with their knights of the nine and shivering isles expansions that they can come up with plenty more storyline yet. The books you find laying around give plenty of history to go back to, and potential for future events.
Anonymous
January 8, 2009 5:04:12 PM

An Elder Scrolls MMORPG version does not sound like a good idea, imo.
How would they implement picking up random items from anywhere in game, with endless people running around taking it right away ?
Make the items ( glasses, books, silverware, plates, vases, etc...) respawnable and instanced for every player?
That would be way too much information to run.
And if they take out all interactable items in a TES mmorpg game, then I might as well continue playing WoW.
Because being able to actualy pick up anything in Oblivion and Morrowind that you see and then selling it, throwing it, dropping it, using it, placing it somwhere in your house, etc... is what made that game and Morrowind so much fun, along many other things.
Bethesda should stick with what makes the game so unique, instead to try to make into something it is not and would ruin it.
Wanna play online mmorpg's? Then play WoW, Warhammer Online, AoC or w/e, and leave TES series offline and they way it should be.
Wtf does every game have to be online nowadays anyway? :pfff: 
Anonymous
January 8, 2009 5:14:03 PM

And btw I am a WoW player, actually a Raider and played warhammer online quite a bit too. So yeah, TES as a mmorpg = epic failure.
Leave mmorpgs to the big boys like Blizzard and TES as a offline, single player ( without the BS chinese farmer gold spam and "Wanna-heal-this-and-that-dungeon/please-can-I-have-some-gold whisper extravaganza ).
Because WoW is all a huge grindfest, there is no true exploring and enjoying dark dungeons, period. It's all about the raiding and the pvp, and the TES series does not need to be turned into that.
January 29, 2009 2:20:54 AM

TES 5 is coming out sometimes in 2010 and its called empire
its like 30 years before the oblivion crisis
check out the video on youtube.com
January 29, 2009 6:47:48 AM

ahhh youtube that trusty source of information
January 29, 2009 8:10:08 AM

they should just remake 2 with new technology.
January 29, 2009 8:13:21 AM

"This sort of whining irritates me. Oblivion runs fine (read: smoothly on ultra-high with tweaks to put it above that) on my computer that's 2 years older than the game.

That, and BethSoft doesn't make their own graphics engines anymore: they've licensed GameBryo (formerly NetImmerse) for both Morrowind and Oblivion; the latter was just a newer version, akin to going from Unreal 2.0 to Unreal 3.0. "

have you tried running it with grass shadows on and full detail as well as on 1600x1200 resolution and anti aliasing full? Heck even if you havent I bet you also experienced relatively low fps in the beginning of the game in the dungeon where the men with the king first start fighting. I get like 25 fps there and I never or hrdly ever get that with the brand new mirrors edge.
January 29, 2009 2:41:26 PM

I agree with Pershing121. When people say they get good frame rates with older equipment, I want to know what resolution they're playing at. 640x480 doesn't cut it for me.
January 29, 2009 3:21:59 PM

On my older machine I got decent FPS in the beginning parts of Oblivion. It is once I got to the outside world that it dropped for me.
February 1, 2009 8:47:01 AM

Pershing121 said:
have you tried running it with grass shadows on and full detail as well as on 1600x1200 resolution and anti aliasing full? Heck even if you havent I bet you also experienced relatively low fps in the beginning of the game in the dungeon where the men with the king first start fighting. I get like 25 fps there and I never or hrdly ever get that with the brand new mirrors edge.

At times the game does become CPU-intensive. At that time, I ran the game at 1024x768, with x4 AA and x8 AF. Graphically, it just more or less fit the R4xx architecture perfectly, meaning that I virtually never experienced graphics slowdown; the only potential way I could create a situation where I'd fault the video card is if I used mods to really bog down the VRAM, since the X800XT only came with 256MB.

I'd also note that Mirror's Edge is a different sort of game, and hence, does a lot of genre-specific streamlining; particularly in that it is generally processing fewer actors at once, as given the gameplay style, anyone out of sight effectively does not matter like it would in an RPG.
February 1, 2009 1:37:53 PM

I used to play NWN. I enjoyed it a lot multi-player, I have not gotten into NWN2 however. I just bought a new video card (ATI 4870) and was wondering how these game are to played multi-player. I am not interested in playing WOW and I do not like playing online games that charge extra, more of a principle thing for me.

February 6, 2009 5:12:29 AM

durrty13 said:
TES 5 is coming out sometimes in 2010 and its called empire
its like 30 years before the oblivion crisis
check out the video on youtube.com

Ok, you DO know that the video you're speaking of is a trailer for a Warhammer computer game, right? You DID watch it until the end where it said that, right? Yeah, I didn't think so.

However,t "ERmpire" would be a GRAT name for TES V, wouldn't it? All about finding a new emperor...maybe lost Septim bloodline...or lost bloodline of Alessia? :-)

Blackwood
!