Registry questions

Hi;
I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3 drives
(D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the registry
before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by each
program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave junk
all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP would
have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or SYSTEM.DAT
anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If yes,
then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.

--
George J. Wallace
6 answers Last reply

    There is software that will monitor registry changes and prepare a list for
    you of changes made as you add programs.
    Do a Google search.

    "George J. Wallace" <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3 drives
    > (D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
    > start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the
    > registry
    > before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    > snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by each
    > program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave junk
    > all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
    > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP
    > would
    > have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or
    > SYSTEM.DAT
    > anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If
    > yes,
    > then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
    > files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    > relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
    > stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > George J. Wallace

    Jerry,

    I've always had good success with Remove-It software on my Win95
    and Win98 machines, but I couldn't find anything comparable for
    Win XP. Instead, I've found that the Add/Remove Programs feature
    in Control Panel does a pretty good job. Am I right to rely on this
    method...or can anyone recommend a better way?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Jerry wrote:

    > There is software that will monitor registry changes and prepare a list for
    > you of changes made as you add programs.
    > Do a Google search.
    >
    > "George J. Wallace" <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi;
    > > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3 drives
    > > (D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
    > > start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the
    > > registry
    > > before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    > > snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by each
    > > program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave junk
    > > all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
    > > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP
    > > would
    > > have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or
    > > SYSTEM.DAT
    > > anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If
    > > yes,
    > > then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
    > > files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    > > relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
    > > stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    > > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George J. Wallace

    Thanks Jerry, I dl'ed RegMon last night and it looks like it might do what
    I want. That still doesn't answer my questions, though. Where does the XP
    registry live and will I have to keep WinMe around just to keep the UER.DAT
    and SYSTEM.DAT files?
    Thanks again for any help you can give.
    > There is software that will monitor registry changes and prepare a list
    for
    > you of changes made as you add programs.
    > Do a Google search.
    >
    > "George J. Wallace" <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi;
    > > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3
    drives
    > > (D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
    > > start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the
    > > registry
    > > before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    > > snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by
    each
    > > program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave
    junk
    > > all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
    > > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP
    > > would
    > > have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or
    > > SYSTEM.DAT
    > > anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If
    > > yes,
    > > then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
    > > files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    > > relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
    > > stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    > > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George J. Wallace

    NT OS's are not like 9x OS's, therefore the registry is made up as follows:
    Each user has their own, user part of the registry is located:

    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\<user_profile_name>\NTUSER.DAT

    The system part of the registry is located:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\config as files:
    system
    software
    security
    SAM

    Also, as others have stated, Symantec and a few others make software to
    track registry changes, but what I do is use a freeware package call "ERUNT"
    to backup and if needed restore the registry (provide the Ghost copy from my
    weekly backup is not sufficient). Their webpage is:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    > Thanks Jerry, I dl'ed RegMon last night and it looks like it might do
    > what
    > I want. That still doesn't answer my questions, though. Where does the
    > XP
    > registry live and will I have to keep WinMe around just to keep the
    > UER.DAT
    > and SYSTEM.DAT files?
    > Thanks again for any help you can give.
    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >> There is software that will monitor registry changes and prepare a list
    > for
    >> you of changes made as you add programs.
    >> Do a Google search.
    >>
    >> "George J. Wallace" <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi;
    >> > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3
    > drives
    >> > (D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time
    >> > start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the
    >> > registry
    >> > before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    >> > snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by
    > each
    >> > program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave
    > junk
    >> > all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
    >> > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP
    >> > would
    >> > have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or
    >> > SYSTEM.DAT
    >> > anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If
    >> > yes,
    >> > then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive
    >> > for
    >> > files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    >> > relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I
    >> > forever
    >> > stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    >> > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > George J. Wallace

    I want to thank all of you very much for taking the time to answer my
    questions! I'd been holding off installing anything until I was sure I
    could keep track of what was being added to the registry. Thank you for the
    enlightenment.

    "George J. Wallace" <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3 drives
    > (D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
    > start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the
    registry
    > before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    > snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by each
    > program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave junk
    > all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).
    > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP
    would
    > have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or
    SYSTEM.DAT
    > anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If
    yes,
    > then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
    > files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    > relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
    > stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > George J. Wallace

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:38:54 -0400, "George J. Wallace"
    <georgejwallace@msn.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

    >Hi;
    > I just added an extra HD to my WinMe machine, partitioned it as 3 drives
    >(D, E, F) and installed XP as a dual boot system on D. Now it's time to
    >start installing my applications. I want to take a snapshot of the registry
    >before and after each install and then run FC (File Compare) on the
    >snapshots and keep a running list of what keys were added/altered by each
    >program (I've found that alot of apps like NAV and Adobe Reader leave junk
    >all over the place when uninstalled/upgraded).

    > The question is "Where did the registry go?". I had assumed that XP would
    >have its' own registry in D:\Windows but can't find a USER.DAT or SYSTEM.DAT
    >anywhere on the D drive. Is NTUSER.DAT the equivalent of USER.DAT? If yes,
    >then what's the equivalent of SYSTEM.DAT? I've searched the D drive for
    >files containing HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE with no luck. Is XP
    >relying on the files back in the WinMe partition and if so, am I forever
    >stuck with keeping WinMe in order to keep those files?
    > Any help/enlightment would be greatly appreciated.

    As you suspect, the users' registry hives are stored in
    %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\NTUSER.DAT. The system hives are in
    %SystemRoot%\system32\config. I believe they are SYSTEM, SOFTWARE,
    SECURITY, and SAM. You don't want to mess with them. Use REGEDIT
    or other registry editing tools.

    HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are registry keys, not file names.

    The XP installation doesn't know anything about the ME registry - they
    are incompatible; otherwise you wouldn't have to re-install your
    applications.

Registry Windows XP