FPS problem making me go crazy - Desperate for help!!!

sapii

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hi,

4 months ago i built a new computer, and ever since, i have been getting these crazy fps drops while playing.
The game starts off quite okay, after a 30 seconds or so the fps drops from whatever sky-high it was, to a range of 5-11 FPS depending on what the situation is. I have tried EVERYTHING to solve this problem. I have monitored temperatures, switched RAM, switched GPU, switched PSU, reseated heatsinks for CPU and GPU. reinstalling the OS, tried Sync-patch for the CPU. U name it, i've tried it. The only thing i haven't tried is installing old drivers for my GPU, and that's because i couldn't find any compatible.

The FPS problems occurs no watter what game i am running, ranging from WC3 to WoW. Recently i've noticed some video streaming issues aswell, where the video FPS is terrible and the actual picture delayed in relation to the sound. Don't know what that would mean though. This does not happen everytime i stream a video.

Here are the Specs:

Mobo: Asus A8V-VM SE
CPU: AMD Opteron Dual Core 165 1.8GHX 2mb. (think it's the 3900+)
GPU: tried Asus 8500GT, switched to Asus 8600GT 256 MB DDR3
PSU: TRUST PowerMaster 570W dual-fan.
Memory: 2x1gb DDR, (tried running 2x512, 512+1024, 1x1024)

I really am desperate for help atm, and i appreciate all the help i can get.

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
What is the video temp going to?,if you turn off the computer and wait for 10 min is it OK for the first 30 sec again?,really sounds like a temp problem because it starts out fine and starts slowing down after a short time,Riva Tuner has a temp graph that can monitor the temp over a time period so you can see whats happening over a duration of time

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Have you checked network issues? Tried disabling on board LAN and adding a card to see if that fixes it.

I agree with Fishin that it sounds like temperature, but the examples provided were two multiplayer games and streaming video. one common link is the network connection.

Good luck.

sapii

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I am by now pretty sure it is not a heat issue, i have monitored cpu temp and gpu temp. gpu stays at 60 degrees C! and cpu at 50. under full load that is.

i noticed after i had written the post that the harddrives were hot as hell, i cooled them off, and turned a housefan on them and the problem still occured. i even tried the houseflan blowing at full power into the case, and still no result.

How can LAN issues provide fps lag? anyways, ill try that and get back to you.

Btw, the problem doesn't always occur when streaming videos, only sometimes, but when it does, the entire computer slows down, not only the video.

and one more thing, i've tried running WC3 on LAN with only me in the game, where the problem still occurred, don't know if that information is helpful though.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
i've got that same problem on my sisters pc, 6600GT with counterstrike source. but i guess i forgot to change the drivers. maybe you have to check your drivers? and maybe there are more processes buzzy on your system while gaming.

sapii

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
well, what is there to check about the drivers, they are all up to date, and yes, i did uninstall previous drivers before updating them. i've tried running the the game with all other processes shut down, it doesn't help.

It seems during thefps lag the computer is struggling like hell to keep up. it struggles even when i sometimes play movies as i said, but not as inforno thinks, i don't think it's network related. because the video issue is not that thepicture is delayed, but that the framerate of the video is low as hell, maybe 1-2 fps, and duringthat time, the entire computer is slowed down. takes 2-3 seconds for it to respond to my command when a video slows down the computer.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
yesterday i discovered that when i play portal, tf2 or episode 2. and i quite thees games. i hear my cpu still handle big programs. so checked and saw that there is a process buzzy that used 50 % of cpu , but i don't know exactly the name but you defenitly know it's about gaming. game interface o something it is called.

I played wow with my 8600Gt and the lowest fps at 1280 res was 30, but average of 45. everything high. and i think my p4 3.0 ghz is less than your amd.

sorry can't help you then

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
gameoverlayUI.exe that's the proces i was talking about

does enyone know why it doesn't close together with a steamgame?

N@n0

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I have heard that there are issues with nvidia's 8xxx series gpu's and via chipsets, maby you should try a ati and see if that solves the problem, or you could try to get support from via...

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
hey you topic starter. i ran windows last weekend, and when you tab out (alt+ tab) when you are in game, the fps doesn't climb over 25 fps. so if you have windowsvista, and you sometimes tab out in game to windows, that will be your problem.

Doumai

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I have the exact same problem with my computer. Nomally high fps and excellent performance and then after a minute or so low fps, meaning 0 to 4 fps. This happens constantly and in sequences that last about 5 seconds, not randomly. It happens every 30 second. I have also tried the same things as the topic starter with no result. I don't think there is anything left to do but to change the motherboard.

Motherboard: Asus m3a78-eh AMD 780G AM2+
CPU: amd athlon x2 dual core 6000+ @ 3 GHz
GPU: Asus radeon hd4850 512 MB GDDR3 PCI-e 16x @ 16x
RAM: 3 X 1024 MB 667 MHz DDR2 non-eec
PSU: Corsair 650W
HD: Seagate barracuda 7200.10 500 GB Serial-ATA-II

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I’ll preface my comments with the disclaimer that I’m not nearly as experienced as some of our other posters in solving these issues.

Do your slow downs occur in both single player games as well as games played over a connection?

If you have eleminated heat as a possible problem, and your performance fades in and out, it may be possible you have programs running in the background that you could be unaware of. Like programs attempting to update or virus scan every so often. You may be able to check this out using your task manager during performance problems.

G

Exactly the same problem here..allmost test everything..ask technicians..read forums ..nothing..Should be motherboard issue but i dont know what yet ..

mukanil

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
To me, if not a heat issue, it sounds like something is running in the background. Usually, for me, it's an anti-virus program doing its scan.