Tal's Set Questions

I was looking over the stats of Tal's set, and noticed something I don't
remember seeing before.

There is a partial set bonus listed under the Orb of +1 Sorc skills. Was
that there in 1.09? and since the full Set bonus gives +3 all, does the +1
from the Partial bonus get overwritten, or does it stay there, making it +6
all skills in total? I have a feeling I should know this, but for the life
of me can't remember.
Its not really that big of a deal but I'm considering a Frozen Orb/Nova
combo, and every +skill helps with Nova.

With all the life and mana boosts from Tals I think I can spend the strength
for a Spirit Shield, if I ever get around to it (for some reason I really
like that runeword!!).

short - or I might just go with Fireball.......again

short wrote:
> I was looking over the stats of Tal's set, and noticed something I
don't
> remember seeing before.
>
> There is a partial set bonus listed under the Orb of +1 Sorc skills.
Was
> that there in 1.09?

No

> and since the full Set bonus gives +3 all, does the +1
> from the Partial bonus get overwritten, or does it stay there, making
it +6
> all skills in total? I have a feeling I should know this, but for
the life
> of me can't remember.

+6 total

> Its not really that big of a deal but I'm considering a Frozen
Orb/Nova
> combo, and every +skill helps with Nova.

Strange combo that, as it has one skill based on speed and one based on
level.

> With all the life and mana boosts from Tals I think I can spend the
strength
> for a Spirit Shield, if I ever get around to it (for some reason I
really
> like that runeword!!).
>

> short - or I might just go with Fireball.......again

Nove/FB is a great combo, if you have the gear for it. That is the base
build for my rocket sorcs.

Mickey

short wrote:
> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >

> I know!!
> I'm just trying to go with a non-Fireball sorc :) All I've seen
lately are
> FB and Blizzard Sorcs. However, Nova damage is a bit on the low side
for
> 1.10 so I may just go with Fireball.
>
> And why they didn't give Nova a synergy is beyond me.

To obsolete all the 1.09 sorcs, of course. Most of them were nova
based.

> > > With all the life and mana boosts from Tals I think I can spend
the
> > strength
> > > for a Spirit Shield, if I ever get around to it (for some reason
> > really
> > > like that runeword!!).
> > >

> > > short - or I might just go with Fireball.......again
> >
> > Nove/FB is a great combo, if you have the gear for it. That is the
base
> > build for my rocket sorcs.
> >

> Too late now, I've already got some points in the Cold tree (up to
Glacial
> Spike), and don't want to start over. I guess I could though, seeing
as
> she's only lvl 18 :eek:)
>
> I have some gear (in addition to Tal's), but nothing awfully uber.

Tal's really isn't the optimum gear for the rocket sorc, as she needs
more casting speed than it delivers. Enigma (or vipermagi), HoTo,
Spirit shield, Shako, frosties, 2 SOJs and a mara's are her preferred
gear. The reasons for this are quite simple. Nova is an enormous mana
hog. Given that you need a massive mana pool, you might as well go hog
wild with mana and raise an energy shield. My now non-ladder rocket
(PurpleMushroom) has well over 4k mana, and if a barb shows up, that
can get over 7k. Good luck killing her then :)

> I could go with a Spirit Sword/Shield combo, the life bonus from Tals
might
> work out to be a bit more, but I'd get more mana from the Spirit
combo..but
> then if I add on the Shako that would get me more of both........bah!
>
> Harley + Spirit Sword/Shield gets me +6 also, then I could get
another one
> from Vipermagi, making it +7.
> Tals would get me +6, then I could put on a Spirit Shield and have
+8, with
> another 40 or so life and 100+ more mana.
> KO, lets break it down.
> Spirit adds 22 Vit, and 104 and 107 mana (the ones I have).
> So that's what, 44 Life and 211 mana.
>
> Tal's adds 179 mana and......317 life? Hrm. Tal's looks like the
best
> route to go, esp if I add the Str for a Spirit Shield.
>
> What gear would you suggest?

If you're not raising an ES, then Tal's works fine. If you are, then
you really want that shako/frosties/SOJ combo. For FB/ORB, you don't
really need much mana, so the Tal's build would work out best,
especially given the built-in MF.

Mickey

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> short wrote:
> > I was looking over the stats of Tal's set, and noticed something I
> don't
> > remember seeing before.
> >
> > There is a partial set bonus listed under the Orb of +1 Sorc skills.
> Was
> > that there in 1.09?
>
> No

Cool

> > and since the full Set bonus gives +3 all, does the +1
> > from the Partial bonus get overwritten, or does it stay there, making
> it +6
> > all skills in total? I have a feeling I should know this, but for
> the life
> > of me can't remember.
>
> +6 total

w000t!

> > Its not really that big of a deal but I'm considering a Frozen
> Orb/Nova
> > combo, and every +skill helps with Nova.
>
> Strange combo that, as it has one skill based on speed and one based on
> level.

I know!!
I'm just trying to go with a non-Fireball sorc :) All I've seen lately are
FB and Blizzard Sorcs. However, Nova damage is a bit on the low side for
1.10 so I may just go with Fireball.

And why they didn't give Nova a synergy is beyond me.

> > With all the life and mana boosts from Tals I think I can spend the
> strength
> > for a Spirit Shield, if I ever get around to it (for some reason I
> really
> > like that runeword!!).
> >

> > short - or I might just go with Fireball.......again
>
> Nove/FB is a great combo, if you have the gear for it. That is the base
> build for my rocket sorcs.

Too late now, I've already got some points in the Cold tree (up to Glacial
Spike), and don't want to start over. I guess I could though, seeing as
she's only lvl 18 :eek:)

I have some gear (in addition to Tal's), but nothing awfully uber.

I could go with a Spirit Sword/Shield combo, the life bonus from Tals might
work out to be a bit more, but I'd get more mana from the Spirit combo..but
then if I add on the Shako that would get me more of both........bah!

Harley + Spirit Sword/Shield gets me +6 also, then I could get another one
from Vipermagi, making it +7.
Tals would get me +6, then I could put on a Spirit Shield and have +8, with
another 40 or so life and 100+ more mana.
KO, lets break it down.
Spirit adds 22 Vit, and 104 and 107 mana (the ones I have).
So that's what, 44 Life and 211 mana.

Tal's adds 179 mana and......317 life? Hrm. Tal's looks like the best
route to go, esp if I add the Str for a Spirit Shield.

What gear would you suggest?

short

> short wrote:
> > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > I know!!
> > I'm just trying to go with a non-Fireball sorc :) All I've seen
> lately are
> > FB and Blizzard Sorcs. However, Nova damage is a bit on the low side
> for
> > 1.10 so I may just go with Fireball.
> >
> > And why they didn't give Nova a synergy is beyond me.
>
> To obsolete all the 1.09 sorcs, of course. Most of them were nova
> based.

> the
> > > strength
> > > really

> > > Nove/FB is a great combo, if you have the gear for it. That is the
> base
> > > build for my rocket sorcs.
> > >

> > Too late now, I've already got some points in the Cold tree (up to
> Glacial
> > Spike), and don't want to start over. I guess I could though, seeing
> as
> > she's only lvl 18 :eek:)
> >
> > I have some gear (in addition to Tal's), but nothing awfully uber.
>
> Tal's really isn't the optimum gear for the rocket sorc, as she needs
> more casting speed than it delivers. Enigma (or vipermagi), HoTo,
> Spirit shield, Shako, frosties, 2 SOJs and a mara's are her preferred
> gear. The reasons for this are quite simple. Nova is an enormous mana
> hog. Given that you need a massive mana pool, you might as well go hog
> wild with mana and raise an energy shield. My now non-ladder rocket
> (PurpleMushroom) has well over 4k mana, and if a barb shows up, that
> can get over 7k. Good luck killing her then :)

Yup, I'm lacking the Mara's, HotO and SoJs of course :)
I was considering ES even if I went with FB but I won't have the spare
points to raise TK. I guess with an Insight stick on the Merc that would be
less of an issue though.
I could always just waste 1 point in it and see if it works out, at lvl 8 or
9 its over 50%, so it could help in some situations at least.

> > I could go with a Spirit Sword/Shield combo, the life bonus from Tals
> might
> > work out to be a bit more, but I'd get more mana from the Spirit
> combo..but
> > then if I add on the Shako that would get me more of both........bah!
> >
> > Harley + Spirit Sword/Shield gets me +6 also, then I could get
> another one
> > from Vipermagi, making it +7.
> > Tals would get me +6, then I could put on a Spirit Shield and have
> +8, with
> > another 40 or so life and 100+ more mana.
> > KO, lets break it down.
> > Spirit adds 22 Vit, and 104 and 107 mana (the ones I have).
> > So that's what, 44 Life and 211 mana.
> >
> > Tal's adds 179 mana and......317 life? Hrm. Tal's looks like the
> best
> > route to go, esp if I add the Str for a Spirit Shield.
> >
> > What gear would you suggest?
>
> If you're not raising an ES, then Tal's works fine. If you are, then
> you really want that shako/frosties/SOJ combo. For FB/ORB, you don't
> really need much mana, so the Tal's build would work out best,
> especially given the built-in MF.

Argh!

I'll probably just go with the standby FB/Orb and go for Tal's and a Spirit
Shield, and then maybe an Ali or Gull on switch for the kill.

short - and a PTopaz in Hat/Armor of course

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> short wrote:
> > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > What gear would you suggest?
>
> If you're not raising an ES, then Tal's works fine. If you are, then
> you really want that shako/frosties/SOJ combo. For FB/ORB, you don't
> really need much mana, so the Tal's build would work out best,
> especially given the built-in MF.
>
> Mickey

I went ahead and plopped 8 points into FB once I hit lvl 20, so it looks
like I'm going to be an FO/FB Sorc now :)

And probably get a Prayer Merc with an Insight Stick to try out that
Synergy.

short - or a Barb, I can't decide

short wrote:
> <snippety>

> > then
> > >
> > > Well, I guess there's on good thing about ES, there's no real
point
> > in
> > > worrying about resists if you have it. :) (or have they
*fianlly*
> > > fixed the ES bug? Last I tried, it certanly didn't look like it)
> >
> > I think they did, as the last time I checked it out I seemed to
take no
> > more damage from elemental attacks than from physical ones.
> >
> > Mickey
> >
> Hrm, so does it now take your resistance into effect then?

It seemed to, but then again, with 6600 mana and 1600 life, it isn't so
easy to tell.

> short - we should test this

Absolutely.

Mickey