Shutdown causes reboot.....

BigAl_NZ

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Hi Folks,

First post here. My problem is that when I go to shutdown my system from windows it causes a reboot. I am running;

Asus Mobo A7V266-E
Win2k Operating System
256 Meg Ram
2 x SCSI HDD + Controller
1 x Segate 20Gig IDE
Adaptec Firewire Card

I have checked under Device Manager\Computer that I have installed "Computer\Advanced Confiuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

And I have tried to change the BIOS settings to fix the problem, including reseting them to default, but to no avail.

While experimenting I noticed that standby also causes a reboot. During these reboots the power does not cycle.

I have also installed the drivers that came with the motherboard as I thought that may be affecting it, but that did not help either.

I thought my 3 HDD's might be drawing too much from the PSU (350W) so I disconnected all of them except the system drive - did not help either.

My BIOS Settings are:

POWER
=================================
Power Management USER DEFINE
(max/min/disable/user define)
Video Off Option ALWAYS ON
Video Off Method DPMS OFF

HDD Pwr Down DISABLED
Susp To RAM Capabilty DISABLED

Suspend Mode [DISABLED]
PWR Button < 4 sec SUSPEND
CPU Thermal Option THROTTLE

> PWR UP CONTROL
> HARDWARE MONITOR

I am REALLY stumped now. Anyone able to please help?

Thanks,

- Al Grant

PS: Someone mentioned they had a similar problem with a windows critical update, but I have not gone so far as to start uninstalling them yet!!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Al,
The automatic reboots in Win2k simply indicate a system failure. Instead of giving you the famous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), Microsoft choose to have it spontaneously reboot. You can turn that feature off and it might give you a clue when it blue screens as to what's blowing up. Go into the control panel, system icon, advanced tab, startup and recovery button, and under the system failure section, uncheck the automatically reboot option.

Now is this a new build, or have you had this rig running OK? If it ran OK at one time, what was your last change you made to the system, because that's likely causing the problem. This is most likely a software problem (conflicting driver) since I take it your rig runs OK until you shut down? About the best advice I could give you is to go through and update all your drivers. Then, if that doesn't solve it, turn off certain things that may be auto-loading to see if you can isolate the problem.

Good Luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!