Spyware & Adware

Help! Everytime I return to my PC I've to close 7 or 8
unwanted 'pop-ups' with a blue banner entitled 'Messenger
Service'. The messages in these are variousng,but,
worryingly I got one today saying "your PC is infected &
you need to visit "www. ..". Is there anything I can do?
I have already installed Norton antivirus s/w.
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about spyware adware

    http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

    RobertaNI wrote:
    > Help! Everytime I return to my PC I've to close 7 or 8
    > unwanted 'pop-ups' with a blue banner entitled 'Messenger
    > Service'. The messages in these are variousng,but,
    > worryingly I got one today saying "your PC is infected &
    > you need to visit "www. ..". Is there anything I can do?
    > I have already installed Norton antivirus s/w.
    > Thanks

    Install and configure a good firewall product. Follow the steps at
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP MCE

    Thanks Tom - I'll try that

    RobertaNI wrote:
    > Help! Everytime I return to my PC I've to close 7 or 8
    > unwanted 'pop-ups' with a blue banner entitled 'Messenger
    > Service'. The messages in these are variousng,but,
    > worryingly I got one today saying "your PC is infected &
    > you need to visit "www. ..". Is there anything I can do?
    > I have already installed Norton antivirus s/w.
    > Thanks

    It's a scam, plain and simple. It's from a very unscrupulous
    "business." They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft
    provides free-of-charge, and using a very intrusive means of
    advertising. It's also demonstrating that your PC is very unsecure.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past year or
    so, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports 135,
    137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
    may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
    to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: