Changing Users

I am giving my computer to my daughter as we are upgrading
to a laptop. I've changed the user name to hers but when I
try to change the folders in My Documents (which are
currently in my name), it won't let me. How do I change
the folders in My Documents to her name? I've removed all
files I don't think she'll need or want.
1 answer Last reply
More about changing users

    "Betty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am giving my computer to my daughter as we are upgrading
    > to a laptop. I've changed the user name to hers but when I
    > try to change the folders in My Documents (which are
    > currently in my name), it won't let me. How do I change
    > the folders in My Documents to her name? I've removed all
    > files I don't think she'll need or want.

    Betty,

    Renaming the user account does *not* change the name of that users'
    homefolder, so that will stay the original name, as you've found.

    If you are adament about having that name changed too, the easiest would be
    to:
    -rename the userid to something you won't need later on (say, OLDUSER,
    because we're going to delete it when finished)
    -create the userid to what you want it to be for your daughter, thereby also
    automatically creating the structure in her name
    -(re)install the applications wanted
    -potentially copying accross from the renamed OLDUSER folder to the new id
    (folder by folder as applicable; although most of it won't be needed and
    some of it cannot/should not even be copied
    -finally (being logged on as administrator) delete the OLDUSER and the
    associated structure in Documents & Settings.

    Personally, I feel this is a lot of work for something small like a name
    change, so you could also decide to 'live with it'.

    hth

    george

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP