ASUS A7N8X (couple raid questions)

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
First off, has anyone used serial ATA with the A7N8X yet? how was it? (benchmarks?) and was reading on the asus site, it says Support RAID 0/1, i dont understand 0/1 is that 0 OR 1? or 0+1? or can it also use 0?

other questions, serial ata, what would the "sustained" transfer rate be? (sata 150).... and what would be best? 2 raid 0 sata 150 drives? or 2 ata100 raid 0? im assuming sata150 array, but anyway :)

more questions as i think them up :)

other question is,,, if i got a raid adapter (ide raid) and put 2 ata 100 drives on there, what would the average transfer rate be? (im always reading ata133 "burstable" i dont like how it "bursts" i want average transfer of 133 :p, but anyway, would 2 serial ata 150 harddrive
other questions will follow when i think them up :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sirrion on 11/29/02 01:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Serial adds no speed with current drives, except a TINY amount of burst speed that would be very difficult to detect. 0/1 would normally indicate you can choose 0 OR 1 but not both. You could use it with Parallel drives with and adapter of course, but the adapters are expensive, and then again, the Serial drives are expensive...making this a useless feature for anyone with value in mind (more bucks for an equal sized bang).

The best transfer you will see with RAID0 on two drives would be around 90MB/s, using two drives with 45MB/s average each. Nothing is ever ideal though, you'll probably end up a little lower.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
well guys, i really wouldnt be spending anything extra being the a7n8x has on board serial ata raid on it,,, so im just looking to see if the asus serial ata, is any good, or not... and the harddrives im looking at for serial ata, are only 150...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sirrion on 11/30/02 02:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS