slow boot/start up

hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to get to
the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first screen
when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram etc.),its
normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp screen,then
it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this is
related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back driver etc
but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers

my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
--
thanks
stu8975

Do you have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or CDR-W Burner? If so did you
install SP1 from Microsofts Windows Update site? Disconnect all your USB
devices and go back into device manager. At USB Controllers expand and
rt click and uninstall All of them. Restart and let WinXP reinstall them.
Then reconnect your USB devices. Also, do a good
check for virus, trojans, spyware and adware. You can use these
websites.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

"stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to get
> the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first
screen
> when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram
etc.),its
> normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp
screen,then
> it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
> suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this is
> related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
> exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
> 10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back driver
etc
> but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers
>
> my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
> --
> thanks
> stu8975

hi there.i will try what you suggested,all drives etc were preinstalled when
i bought the pc,it has a seperate dvd rw,dvd rom,card reader,only have a
printer(epson r300) and scanner(canon lide 30) and webcam(logitech quickcam)
conneted via usb,no viruse show up (running norton int. sec 2004) and ad
aware 6.0,have installed sp1 and sp2 (auto updates) but had this problem
before they were installed...also awaitng feedback from manufacture regarding
this prob..
thanks

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Do you have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or CDR-W Burner? If so did you
> install SP1 from Microsofts Windows Update site? Disconnect all your USB
> devices and go back into device manager. At USB Controllers expand and
> rt click and uninstall All of them. Restart and let WinXP reinstall them.
> Then reconnect your USB devices. Also, do a good
> check for virus, trojans, spyware and adware. You can use these
> websites.
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> "stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to get
> > the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first
> screen
> > when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram
> etc.),its
> > normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp
> screen,then
> > it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
> > suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this is
> > related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
> > exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
> > 10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back driver
> etc
> > but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers
> >
> > my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
> > --
> > thanks
> > stu8975

hi again,i tried what you suggested but it doesnt fix the problem,all usb
controllers etc install correctly except for the 'usb 2.0 mass storage
device',it just says there was a problem with the installation,doesnt say
what the problem was...

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Do you have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or CDR-W Burner? If so did you
> install SP1 from Microsofts Windows Update site? Disconnect all your USB
> devices and go back into device manager. At USB Controllers expand and
> rt click and uninstall All of them. Restart and let WinXP reinstall them.
> Then reconnect your USB devices. Also, do a good
> check for virus, trojans, spyware and adware. You can use these
> websites.
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> "stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to get
> > the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first
> screen
> > when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram
> etc.),its
> > normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp
> screen,then
> > it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
> > suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this is
> > related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
> > exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
> > 10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back driver
> etc
> > but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers
> >
> > my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
> > --
> > thanks
> > stu8975

Stu, it looks like you don't have a USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device but somehow
XP is thinking you do. Go back into the
Device Manager and disable the USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device. Don't
uninstall it. Just choose disable. See what happens.

> hi again,i tried what you suggested but it doesnt fix the problem,all usb
> controllers etc install correctly except for the 'usb 2.0 mass storage
> device',it just says there was a problem with the installation,doesnt say
> what the problem was...
>
> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
> > Do you have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or CDR-W Burner? If so did
you
> > install SP1 from Microsofts Windows Update site? Disconnect all your
USB
> > devices and go back into device manager. At USB Controllers expand and
> > rt click and uninstall All of them. Restart and let WinXP reinstall
them.
> > Then reconnect your USB devices. Also, do a good
> > check for virus, trojans, spyware and adware. You can use these
> > websites.
> >
> > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> >

> > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> >

> > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
> >

> > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> >

> > "stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to
get
> > > the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first
> > screen
> > > when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram
> > etc.),its
> > > normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp
> > screen,then
> > > it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
> > > suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this
is
> > > related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
> > > exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
> > > 10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back
driver
> > etc
> > > but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers
> > >
> > > my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
> > > --
> > > thanks
> > > stu8975

Stu, if there's no option to disable then just uninstall.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Do you have a USB 2.0 External Hard Drive or CDR-W Burner? If so did you
> install SP1 from Microsofts Windows Update site? Disconnect all your USB
> devices and go back into device manager. At USB Controllers expand and
> rt click and uninstall All of them. Restart and let WinXP reinstall them.
> Then reconnect your USB devices. Also, do a good
> check for virus, trojans, spyware and adware. You can use these
> websites.
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> "stu8975" <stu8975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, im having slow boot/start up probs,normally takes approx 5mins to get
> > the log in screen..upon starting,my pc seems to be stuck on the first
> screen
> > when i turn it on (screen with all the system info...processor/ram
> etc.),its
> > normally stuck there for about 3-4 mins,then i get the windows xp
> screen,then
> > it goes blank for 1-2 mins before it gets to the log in screen...any
> > suggestions???? bearing in mind im a novice...also dont know if this is
> > related,in device manager,my ''USB 2.0 MASS STORAGE DEVICE'' has an
> > exclamation mark next to it..it says the device could not start..code
> > 10...????? i have tried searching for driver/uninstall/roll back driver
> etc
> > but nothing seems to fix it.....much help is needed...cheers
> >
> > my pc is a MEDION - PCMT6, running xp home,amd athlon 3200+,512ram
> > --
> > thanks
> > stu8975

finkey

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
If I shut down my pc completely, then boot up cold, Windows does not finish starting. It hangs on first desktop screen and doesn't complete the registry "Run", and building the system tray, if my usb 2.0 mass storage device, a Seagate Free Agent Drive, is plugged in. The symptom began only after my data storage exceeded 150 GB.

My solution is to unplug the usb mass storage until Windows has finished starting, then plug it in again. A nuisance, but it works fine.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
yes here is the problem and a way to solve it

If you go into BIOS and check the boot order you will see that it have
Boot From Diskette as 1st
Boot From CD/DVD as 2nd
Boot From USB Devices as 3rd
Boot From Hard Drive as 4th
Boot From Network as 5th

What you want to do is to simple open up your bios (normally you press F10, F12 or Del right after you boot your computer) and change the Boot Order to

Boot From Diskette as 1st
Boot From CD/DVD as 2nd
Boot From Hard Drive as 3rd
Boot From USB Devices as 4th
Boot From Network as 5th

Otherwise it will try to boot from your external harddrive wich i guess doesnt have any OS installed on it :p and that would be a impossibillity. So after some minutes of trying it starts to boot from your Hard Drive instead but it works slow because it's still trying to boot from your USB.

This helped me atleast, i had the same problem once.

Peace out there hope i helped

finkey

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Yes, good help, good advice, got my BIOS set like that too but still have to unplug the mass storage device for cold boot.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
this is a try it and see, run EFRC( Eusing Free Registry Cleaner) see if it helps, but this has started after a MS hotfix/updates thing, personally I think that MS is intentionally sabotaging XP, if it was a MS HF/UD you are out of luck as using the add remove programs and uninstalling the update has never worked for me, you might try the simple things first, to do a restore to an earlier time, Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and pick a time before this started, but the outlook is not good