CallPlus prepaid lowered to 15 cents a minute!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

FYI, Callplus $40 cards have dropped to a 15 cents per minute rate.
That's 266 minutes! A really cheap price for access to the ATT/TDMA
network. Locus cards have the same new rate but are not
interchangeable.

Having access to the ATT TDMA/analog network using prepaid, along with
a Verizon subscription is useful while travelling out west. There are
many places Verizon is still analog, where the Callplus ATT prepaid
phones receive a good digital signal.

There's still the must make a call every 30 day rule and the must
recharge every 90 days. That can be a hassle, although some users have
reported the 30 call rule is not hard and fast, but I don't want to
risk losing the airtime and phone number.

CS is NOT provided by ATT, but by Callplus/Locus. The CS has been
surprisingly good most of the time and wait times are usually short.
One complaint is the rather lengthy recharge process. Just lots of
numbers to enter. But it's fairly painless, if all the required
information is written out, before attempting a recharge.

One trick for maximizing minutes...get the cheap rates with a $40 card
and then just add a $10 card every 90 days. AFAIK only Pharosint sells
the $10 /90 day cards. Some other prepaid services are selling $10/30
day cards.
$10 for 90 days on the very extensive ATT network is hard to beat,
although prepaid prices seem to be dropping across the board.
So there may be better kinds of deals for metro area prepaid plans.

Free incomming numerical pages are also available using Callplus, but
I can't get them to work with a manual entry. Auto dial works fine.
A cheap Pager solution.
Here's the Callplus prepaid pager script...

18003366743 (WAIT) XXX-123-4567 # XXX-123-4567

Just hope the ATT TDMA network holds up with ATTWS switch to GSM and
purchase by Cingular. Thre have been reports of reduced ATTWS TDMA
usability, allthough there are still a lot of TDMA/mutinetwork phone
users out there.

There's also a Cyclone branded "disposable" cell phone coming. Don't
know much about it. Apparently it uses analog, which seems kinda
strange, but hey, if it's a reason to keep the old analog network up
and running....

Also noticed prepaid GSM sims, but it's still very expensive for GSM
prepaid.

Wish Verizon had some better prepaid rates, to make use of all those
old handsets sitting about. Verizon seems to charge for every extra
service using prepaid.

Prepaid cellular Pharosint

http://www.pharosint.com/

Prepaid Compare (extensive prepaid reference and comparison)

http://markson.net/cell_prepaid_compare.htm

Happy and safe summer driving to all!

-
David

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

David-

Thanks for the useful information, this could come in handy if I (or any of
my users) run into areas with no Verizon coverage (or analog only areas that
they will be often).

One question:
Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
hands on some old ATT phones...

-Eric

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

What about prl updates? I have a couple of Ericsson lx677's, and Nokia
6160's. How do you know what is the latest and where to get updates?

I'm going to DC Philadelphia and NJ this summer and was thinking about
Callplus. Its WAY cheaper than Ecallplus.com.

"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message news:<48adnbJ4pJSieS_dRVn-ig@comcast.com>...

> One question:
> Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
> using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
> hands on some old ATT phones...
>
> -Eric

You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
Never tried a Cingular activation.
I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant. The
newer models have text and T9 capabilities for SMS use.

When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
PRL updates are automatic on ATTWS and have been for many years. There
is no long distance or roaming charges and the Callplus phones seem to
have a wide range of roaming agreements across ATTWS and various
partners. The contents of the ATTWS PRLs is a mystery. Wonder if
anything has change with the prepaid's coverage, since the purchase of
ATTWS by Cingular?

Having to renter the phone's number and then the destination number
while roaming, is another little annoyance with Callplus. Yet more
keystrokes. It's some kind anti-fraud or manual system registration
procedure. Some phones can be programmed for the double dialing entry
to save time.

One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
Verizon users with a digital only handset. Some VZW users keep a
trimode backup and then do an online ESN swap, if they are going to
travel into analog land. Having a prepaid ready to go, may be simpler
than swapping handsets. I like having as many cellular networks as
possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
travelling/camping.

Did notice some reluctance for the Callplus phone to roam to analog a
few times. Not sure exactly what was going on...the phone made one
perfect call in analog. Think it was roaming on Verizon analog. Then I
couldn't get it switch to analog again, in order to make a call.
Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
"No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?

About the only way I found to manipulate the network... use an
external antenna or cover the handset in a metal can or something to
block the signal completley.

Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting. ATTWS,
and associated TDMA partners, have been using "multinetwork" handsets,
which don't allow manual network selection, for a long time.

-
David

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
> "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message news:<48adnbJ4pJSieS_dRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
> >
> > One question:
> > Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
> > using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
> > hands on some old ATT phones...
> >
> > -Eric
>
> You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
> Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
> problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.

ATT Free2Go $100 cards also last 1 year! 15¢minute.
69¢ roaming. Not sure about the advantages, but there's off network
roaming charges with Free2Go.
Another option for 1 year prepaid plans, besides Tracphone.
There's also a $40 handset rebate form, at Radio Shack.

Found out about the overlooked, 1 year expiration, on this web site.
Excellent reference, including Northwestern celluar info.

http://cell.uoregon.edu

-
David

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

ATTWS just lowered its rates as well to $10/90 days!!! It's higher
per minute (i think), but might be worth it if you want AT&T CS.

On the flipside Locus/Callplus have no roaming fees, and free
international calls to quite a few countries.

-Tom

PS. Some (most) AT&T TDMA phones are SOC locked. Meaning that they
will seek out AT&T first... Non-AT&T phones are not in the AT&T ESN
database, and they are EXTREMELY hesitant to add an exception (I once
tried to social engineer one in for like a week straight... no go!) I
was then able to get the exact same bellsouth nokia activated on Locus
Mobile without a problem!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...

> You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
> Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
> problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.

I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
(whichever comes first!)

> Never tried a Cingular activation.

All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.

> I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
> get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.

Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
makes replacements cheap.

> When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
> simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.

Same with a Cingular version.

> One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
> Verizon users with a digital only handset.

Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
unavailable" to my CallPlus.

> I like having as many cellular networks as
> possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
> travelling/camping.

Agreed.

> Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
> "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?

Yep.

> Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
> force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.

Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
blocking either.

elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote in message news:<de37a2e0.0405262141.624c5960@posting.google.com>...
> davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
>
> > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
> > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
> > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
>
> I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
> AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
> upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
> (whichever comes first!)
>
> > Never tried a Cingular activation.
>
> All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.
>
> > I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
> > get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.
>
> Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
> makes replacements cheap.
>
> > When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
> > simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
>
> Same with a Cingular version.
>
> > One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
> > Verizon users with a digital only handset.
>
> Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
> T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
> unavailable" to my CallPlus.
>
> > I like having as many cellular networks as
> > possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
> > travelling/camping.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
> > "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
> > force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.
>
> Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
> REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
> manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
> blocking either.

Todd,
Thanks for the clarification and added info.
A couple of more questions.. The ATT phones I've used for Callplus
have an ATT mobile address 1234567890@mobile.att.net.
Would there be any problems with a Cingular phone? Or does every ATTWS
mobile number get an ATTWS mobile IP address, regardless of the
original carrier?

When you say more roaming would result from a non 1900mhz phone, would
most of that be analog? Can't think of any 800mhz TDMA networks?

Since ATTFree2 Go charges roaming, is analog charged as roaming or
just any off network roaming, either D or A?
Wonder if coverage is expanding to more Cingular TDMA markets, as a
result of the merger?

Thanks again for your expertise,

-
David

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Todd,
> Thanks for the clarification and added info.
> A couple of more questions.. The ATT phones I've used for Callplus
> have an ATT mobile address 1234567890@mobile.att.net.
> Would there be any problems with a Cingular phone?

No- the address goes with your account, not the phone you use. I sent my
"used to be Cingular now a CallPlus" Nokia 5120 a text message today, in
fact, mostly to check if everything is still working... I'm testing the
5120's account. I'm now 40 days past my account expiry date, but the phone
still works fine. Since JusTalk and CallPlus seem to use the same company
to handle account management, but have different airtime expiration dates- 6
months and 90 days, respectively- I have a theory that the "call every 30
days" and 90-day expirations are nonsense, and both resellers have 6-month
expirations. I'll let you know in 50 more days! ;-)

> Or does every ATTWS
> mobile number get an ATTWS mobile IP address, regardless of the
> original carrier?

Bingo. A phone's a phone's a phone, for the most part.

> When you say more roaming would result from a non 1900mhz phone, would
> most of that be analog?

Not necessarily...

> Can't think of any 800mhz TDMA networks?

Cingular! Anywhere Cingular has an 800MHz license they have TDMA. Much of
the country has either Cingular or AT&T at 800MHz, which is why the upcoming
merger is a "good fit". (There are exceptions, but most of the country has
some TDMA at 800MHz.)

> Since ATTFree2 Go charges roaming, is analog charged as roaming or
> just any off network roaming, either D or A?

Roaming is roaming. The IRDB insures you use the "best" carrier for roaming
("best" for AT&T, not necessarily best for you! Generally it's going to be
Cingular if available.)

> Wonder if coverage is expanding to more Cingular TDMA markets, as a
> result of the merger?

I doubt it. AT&T will still consider Cingular "off-network" until the sale
to Cingular actually happens. Companies have to act as "normal" as possible
while the powers that be approve or disallow such a transaction. It's
always possible the whole thing gets called off at the last minute due to a
denial or just to onerous regulatory interference. (I doubt it will, but
it's always possible.)

If you mean post merger, I suspect Cingular will roll out an entirely new
prepaid plan, consolidating their TDMA "KIC" and AT&T's F2G pre-paid plans
into one. What that will mean to CallPlus users is a guess, but I suspect
it will mean more "native" coverage, and less roaming (and therefore less
digits to dial!)

> Thanks again for your expertise,

Not expertise, just experience! (There is a difference!) ;-)

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On 24 May 2004 17:22:12 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>FYI, Callplus $40 cards have dropped to a 15 cents per minute rate.
>That's 266 minutes! A really cheap price for access to the ATT/TDMA
>network. Locus cards have the same new rate but are not
>interchangeable.
>
>Having access to the ATT TDMA/analog network using prepaid, along with
>a Verizon subscription is useful while travelling out west. There are
>many places Verizon is still analog, where the Callplus ATT prepaid
>phones receive a good digital signal.
>
>There's still the must make a call every 30 day rule and the must
>recharge every 90 days. That can be a hassle, although some users have
>reported the 30 call rule is not hard and fast, but I don't want to
>risk losing the airtime and phone number.
>
>CS is NOT provided by ATT, but by Callplus/Locus. The CS has been
>surprisingly good most of the time and wait times are usually short.
>One complaint is the rather lengthy recharge process. Just lots of
>numbers to enter. But it's fairly painless, if all the required
>information is written out, before attempting a recharge.
>
>One trick for maximizing minutes...get the cheap rates with a $40 card
>and then just add a $10 card every 90 days. AFAIK only Pharosint sells
>the $10 /90 day cards. Some other prepaid services are selling $10/30
>day cards.
>$10 for 90 days on the very extensive ATT network is hard to beat,
>although prepaid prices seem to be dropping across the board.
>So there may be better kinds of deals for metro area prepaid plans.
>
>Free incomming numerical pages are also available using Callplus, but
>I can't get them to work with a manual entry. Auto dial works fine.
>A cheap Pager solution.
>Here's the Callplus prepaid pager script...
>
>18003366743 (WAIT) XXX-123-4567 # XXX-123-4567
>
>Just hope the ATT TDMA network holds up with ATTWS switch to GSM and
>purchase by Cingular. Thre have been reports of reduced ATTWS TDMA
>usability, allthough there are still a lot of TDMA/mutinetwork phone
>users out there.
>
>There's also a Cyclone branded "disposable" cell phone coming. Don't
>know much about it. Apparently it uses analog, which seems kinda
>strange, but hey, if it's a reason to keep the old analog network up
>and running....
>
>Also noticed prepaid GSM sims, but it's still very expensive for GSM
>prepaid.
>
>Wish Verizon had some better prepaid rates, to make use of all those
>old handsets sitting about. Verizon seems to charge for every extra
>service using prepaid.
>
>Prepaid cellular Pharosint

Or you can go with Justalk from Phoneshark which is ~22 cents/minute
and a $10 card will keep your account open for 180 days with no
requirement that you make a call every 30 days. You also get a free
toll-free number to reach you because all assigned numbers are NY 917
area code numbers.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:14:51 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
<erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

>Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
>using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
>hands on some old ATT phones...

It's an AT&T reseller so that doesn't matter.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote in message news:<de37a2e0.0405262141.624c5960@posting.google.com>...
> davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
>
> > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
> > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
> > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
>
> I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
> AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
> upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
> (whichever comes first!)
>
> > Never tried a Cingular activation.
>
> All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.
>
> > I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
> > get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.
>
> Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
> makes replacements cheap.
>
> > When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
> > simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
>
> Same with a Cingular version.
>
> > One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
> > Verizon users with a digital only handset.
>
> Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
> T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
> unavailable" to my CallPlus.
>
> > I like having as many cellular networks as
> > possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
> > travelling/camping.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
> > "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
> > force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.
>
> Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
> REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
> manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
> blocking either.

My Mom's Callplus (locus) prepaid account was cancelled and the number
lost, because she hadn't made a call in the 30 day period. I'm sure it
wasn't more than 12 days or so over the 30 days. I called up callpus
CS and they gave me a new number and 50 minutes. Not a total loss, but
a hassle.

I'm pretty religious about the 30 day call 90 day recharge because of
that experience. Account terminations DO happen, although I've heard
of people prolonging the required recharge/call times by quite a bit.
Wonder if it matters if which market it is? This cancellation was in
the SF CA market.

I'm not familiar with TDMA 800mhz, since Cingular here in California,
is 100% GSM and ATTWS seems to be mostly 1900mhz.

-
David