CallPlus prepaid lowered to 15 cents a minute!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

FYI, Callplus $40 cards have dropped to a 15 cents per minute rate.
That's 266 minutes! A really cheap price for access to the ATT/TDMA
network. Locus cards have the same new rate but are not
interchangeable.

Having access to the ATT TDMA/analog network using prepaid, along with
a Verizon subscription is useful while travelling out west. There are
many places Verizon is still analog, where the Callplus ATT prepaid
phones receive a good digital signal.

There's still the must make a call every 30 day rule and the must
recharge every 90 days. That can be a hassle, although some users have
reported the 30 call rule is not hard and fast, but I don't want to
risk losing the airtime and phone number.

CS is NOT provided by ATT, but by Callplus/Locus. The CS has been
surprisingly good most of the time and wait times are usually short.
One complaint is the rather lengthy recharge process. Just lots of
numbers to enter. But it's fairly painless, if all the required
information is written out, before attempting a recharge.

One trick for maximizing minutes...get the cheap rates with a $40 card
and then just add a $10 card every 90 days. AFAIK only Pharosint sells
the $10 /90 day cards. Some other prepaid services are selling $10/30
day cards.
$10 for 90 days on the very extensive ATT network is hard to beat,
although prepaid prices seem to be dropping across the board.
So there may be better kinds of deals for metro area prepaid plans.

Free incomming numerical pages are also available using Callplus, but
I can't get them to work with a manual entry. Auto dial works fine.
A cheap Pager solution.
Here's the Callplus prepaid pager script...

18003366743 (WAIT) XXX-123-4567 # XXX-123-4567

Just hope the ATT TDMA network holds up with ATTWS switch to GSM and
purchase by Cingular. Thre have been reports of reduced ATTWS TDMA
usability, allthough there are still a lot of TDMA/mutinetwork phone
users out there.

There's also a Cyclone branded "disposable" cell phone coming. Don't
know much about it. Apparently it uses analog, which seems kinda
strange, but hey, if it's a reason to keep the old analog network up
and running....

Also noticed prepaid GSM sims, but it's still very expensive for GSM
prepaid.

Wish Verizon had some better prepaid rates, to make use of all those
old handsets sitting about. Verizon seems to charge for every extra
service using prepaid.

Prepaid cellular Pharosint

http://www.pharosint.com/

Prepaid Compare (extensive prepaid reference and comparison)

http://markson.net/cell_prepaid_compare.htm

Happy and safe summer driving to all!

-
David
11 answers Last reply
More about callplus prepaid lowered cents minute
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    David-

    Thanks for the useful information, this could come in handy if I (or any of
    my users) run into areas with no Verizon coverage (or analog only areas that
    they will be often).

    One question:
    Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
    using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
    hands on some old ATT phones...

    -Eric
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    What about prl updates? I have a couple of Ericsson lx677's, and Nokia
    6160's. How do you know what is the latest and where to get updates?

    I'm going to DC Philadelphia and NJ this summer and was thinking about
    Callplus. Its WAY cheaper than Ecallplus.com.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message news:<48adnbJ4pJSieS_dRVn-ig@comcast.com>...

    > One question:
    > Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
    > using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
    > hands on some old ATT phones...
    >
    > -Eric

    You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
    Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
    problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
    Never tried a Cingular activation.
    I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
    get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant. The
    newer models have text and T9 capabilities for SMS use.

    When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
    simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
    PRL updates are automatic on ATTWS and have been for many years. There
    is no long distance or roaming charges and the Callplus phones seem to
    have a wide range of roaming agreements across ATTWS and various
    partners. The contents of the ATTWS PRLs is a mystery. Wonder if
    anything has change with the prepaid's coverage, since the purchase of
    ATTWS by Cingular?

    Having to renter the phone's number and then the destination number
    while roaming, is another little annoyance with Callplus. Yet more
    keystrokes. It's some kind anti-fraud or manual system registration
    procedure. Some phones can be programmed for the double dialing entry
    to save time.

    One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
    Verizon users with a digital only handset. Some VZW users keep a
    trimode backup and then do an online ESN swap, if they are going to
    travel into analog land. Having a prepaid ready to go, may be simpler
    than swapping handsets. I like having as many cellular networks as
    possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
    travelling/camping.

    Did notice some reluctance for the Callplus phone to roam to analog a
    few times. Not sure exactly what was going on...the phone made one
    perfect call in analog. Think it was roaming on Verizon analog. Then I
    couldn't get it switch to analog again, in order to make a call.
    Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
    "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?

    About the only way I found to manipulate the network... use an
    external antenna or cover the handset in a metal can or something to
    block the signal completley.

    Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
    force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting. ATTWS,
    and associated TDMA partners, have been using "multinetwork" handsets,
    which don't allow manual network selection, for a long time.

    -
    David
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
    > "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message news:<48adnbJ4pJSieS_dRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
    > >
    > > One question:
    > > Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
    > > using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
    > > hands on some old ATT phones...
    > >
    > > -Eric
    >
    > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
    > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
    > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.

    ATT Free2Go $100 cards also last 1 year! 15¢minute.
    69¢ roaming. Not sure about the advantages, but there's off network
    roaming charges with Free2Go.
    Another option for 1 year prepaid plans, besides Tracphone.
    There's also a $40 handset rebate form, at Radio Shack.

    Found out about the overlooked, 1 year expiration, on this web site.
    Excellent reference, including Northwestern celluar info.

    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    -
    David
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    ATTWS just lowered its rates as well to $10/90 days!!! It's higher
    per minute (i think), but might be worth it if you want AT&T CS.

    On the flipside Locus/Callplus have no roaming fees, and free
    international calls to quite a few countries.

    -Tom

    PS. Some (most) AT&T TDMA phones are SOC locked. Meaning that they
    will seek out AT&T first... Non-AT&T phones are not in the AT&T ESN
    database, and they are EXTREMELY hesitant to add an exception (I once
    tried to social engineer one in for like a week straight... no go!) I
    was then able to get the exact same bellsouth nokia activated on Locus
    Mobile without a problem!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...

    > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
    > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
    > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.

    I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
    AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
    upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
    (whichever comes first!)

    > Never tried a Cingular activation.

    All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.

    > I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
    > get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.

    Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
    makes replacements cheap.

    > When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
    > simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.

    Same with a Cingular version.

    > One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
    > Verizon users with a digital only handset.

    Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
    T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
    unavailable" to my CallPlus.

    > I like having as many cellular networks as
    > possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
    > travelling/camping.

    Agreed.

    > Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
    > "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?

    Yep.

    > Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
    > force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.

    Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
    REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
    manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
    blocking either.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote in message news:<de37a2e0.0405262141.624c5960@posting.google.com>...
    > davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
    >
    > > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
    > > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
    > > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
    >
    > I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
    > AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
    > upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
    > (whichever comes first!)
    >
    > > Never tried a Cingular activation.
    >
    > All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.
    >
    > > I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
    > > get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.
    >
    > Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
    > makes replacements cheap.
    >
    > > When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
    > > simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
    >
    > Same with a Cingular version.
    >
    > > One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
    > > Verizon users with a digital only handset.
    >
    > Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
    > T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
    > unavailable" to my CallPlus.
    >
    > > I like having as many cellular networks as
    > > possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
    > > travelling/camping.
    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > > Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
    > > "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?
    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > > Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
    > > force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.
    >
    > Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
    > REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
    > manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
    > blocking either.

    Todd,
    Thanks for the clarification and added info.
    A couple of more questions.. The ATT phones I've used for Callplus
    have an ATT mobile address 1234567890@mobile.att.net.
    Would there be any problems with a Cingular phone? Or does every ATTWS
    mobile number get an ATTWS mobile IP address, regardless of the
    original carrier?

    When you say more roaming would result from a non 1900mhz phone, would
    most of that be analog? Can't think of any 800mhz TDMA networks?

    Since ATTFree2 Go charges roaming, is analog charged as roaming or
    just any off network roaming, either D or A?
    Wonder if coverage is expanding to more Cingular TDMA markets, as a
    result of the merger?

    Thanks again for your expertise,

    -
    David
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    > Todd,
    > Thanks for the clarification and added info.
    > A couple of more questions.. The ATT phones I've used for Callplus
    > have an ATT mobile address 1234567890@mobile.att.net.
    > Would there be any problems with a Cingular phone?

    No- the address goes with your account, not the phone you use. I sent my
    "used to be Cingular now a CallPlus" Nokia 5120 a text message today, in
    fact, mostly to check if everything is still working... I'm testing the
    5120's account. I'm now 40 days past my account expiry date, but the phone
    still works fine. Since JusTalk and CallPlus seem to use the same company
    to handle account management, but have different airtime expiration dates- 6
    months and 90 days, respectively- I have a theory that the "call every 30
    days" and 90-day expirations are nonsense, and both resellers have 6-month
    expirations. I'll let you know in 50 more days! ;-)

    > Or does every ATTWS
    > mobile number get an ATTWS mobile IP address, regardless of the
    > original carrier?

    Bingo. A phone's a phone's a phone, for the most part.

    > When you say more roaming would result from a non 1900mhz phone, would
    > most of that be analog?

    Not necessarily...

    > Can't think of any 800mhz TDMA networks?

    Cingular! Anywhere Cingular has an 800MHz license they have TDMA. Much of
    the country has either Cingular or AT&T at 800MHz, which is why the upcoming
    merger is a "good fit". (There are exceptions, but most of the country has
    some TDMA at 800MHz.)

    > Since ATTFree2 Go charges roaming, is analog charged as roaming or
    > just any off network roaming, either D or A?

    Roaming is roaming. The IRDB insures you use the "best" carrier for roaming
    ("best" for AT&T, not necessarily best for you! Generally it's going to be
    Cingular if available.)

    > Wonder if coverage is expanding to more Cingular TDMA markets, as a
    > result of the merger?

    I doubt it. AT&T will still consider Cingular "off-network" until the sale
    to Cingular actually happens. Companies have to act as "normal" as possible
    while the powers that be approve or disallow such a transaction. It's
    always possible the whole thing gets called off at the last minute due to a
    denial or just to onerous regulatory interference. (I doubt it will, but
    it's always possible.)

    If you mean post merger, I suspect Cingular will roll out an entirely new
    prepaid plan, consolidating their TDMA "KIC" and AT&T's F2G pre-paid plans
    into one. What that will mean to CallPlus users is a guess, but I suspect
    it will mean more "native" coverage, and less roaming (and therefore less
    digits to dial!)

    > Thanks again for your expertise,

    Not expertise, just experience! (There is a difference!) ;-)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On 24 May 2004 17:22:12 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

    >FYI, Callplus $40 cards have dropped to a 15 cents per minute rate.
    >That's 266 minutes! A really cheap price for access to the ATT/TDMA
    >network. Locus cards have the same new rate but are not
    >interchangeable.
    >
    >Having access to the ATT TDMA/analog network using prepaid, along with
    >a Verizon subscription is useful while travelling out west. There are
    >many places Verizon is still analog, where the Callplus ATT prepaid
    >phones receive a good digital signal.
    >
    >There's still the must make a call every 30 day rule and the must
    >recharge every 90 days. That can be a hassle, although some users have
    >reported the 30 call rule is not hard and fast, but I don't want to
    >risk losing the airtime and phone number.
    >
    >CS is NOT provided by ATT, but by Callplus/Locus. The CS has been
    >surprisingly good most of the time and wait times are usually short.
    >One complaint is the rather lengthy recharge process. Just lots of
    >numbers to enter. But it's fairly painless, if all the required
    >information is written out, before attempting a recharge.
    >
    >One trick for maximizing minutes...get the cheap rates with a $40 card
    >and then just add a $10 card every 90 days. AFAIK only Pharosint sells
    >the $10 /90 day cards. Some other prepaid services are selling $10/30
    >day cards.
    >$10 for 90 days on the very extensive ATT network is hard to beat,
    >although prepaid prices seem to be dropping across the board.
    >So there may be better kinds of deals for metro area prepaid plans.
    >
    >Free incomming numerical pages are also available using Callplus, but
    >I can't get them to work with a manual entry. Auto dial works fine.
    >A cheap Pager solution.
    >Here's the Callplus prepaid pager script...
    >
    >18003366743 (WAIT) XXX-123-4567 # XXX-123-4567
    >
    >Just hope the ATT TDMA network holds up with ATTWS switch to GSM and
    >purchase by Cingular. Thre have been reports of reduced ATTWS TDMA
    >usability, allthough there are still a lot of TDMA/mutinetwork phone
    >users out there.
    >
    >There's also a Cyclone branded "disposable" cell phone coming. Don't
    >know much about it. Apparently it uses analog, which seems kinda
    >strange, but hey, if it's a reason to keep the old analog network up
    >and running....
    >
    >Also noticed prepaid GSM sims, but it's still very expensive for GSM
    >prepaid.
    >
    >Wish Verizon had some better prepaid rates, to make use of all those
    >old handsets sitting about. Verizon seems to charge for every extra
    >service using prepaid.
    >
    >Prepaid cellular Pharosint

    Or you can go with Justalk from Phoneshark which is ~22 cents/minute
    and a $10 card will keep your account open for 180 days with no
    requirement that you make a call every 30 days. You also get a free
    toll-free number to reach you because all assigned numbers are NY 917
    area code numbers.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:14:51 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
    <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

    >Do old ATT phones have any kind of subsidy lock that would keep you from
    >using them with this kind of pre-paid arrangement? I am sure I could get my
    >hands on some old ATT phones...

    It's an AT&T reseller so that doesn't matter.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote in message news:<de37a2e0.0405262141.624c5960@posting.google.com>...
    > davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251631.40034f28@posting.google.com>...
    >
    > > You want an old ATT phone, subsidy locks and all, since the
    > > Callplus/Locus prepaid phones use the ATTWS network. Have heard of
    > > problems with Cingular handsets, since they have a different PRL.
    >
    > I've moved three Cingular handsets to CallPlus w/o a problem. The
    > AT&T IRDB (Intelligent Roaming DataBase, TDMA-speak for "PRL") loads
    > upon activation, or the first time the phone hits an AT&T tower
    > (whichever comes first!)
    >
    > > Never tried a Cingular activation.
    >
    > All of mine have been Nokias (a 5120, 6160, and 8260)- no problems.
    >
    > > I like the Nokia 5100/6100 multinetwork phones. They are bullet proof,
    > > get good reception and the accessories are cheap and abundant.
    >
    > Agreed. And a seemingly unlimited supply floating on eBay for $10-25
    > makes replacements cheap.
    >
    > > When a former ATTWS handset is activated on Callplus, the CS reads a
    > > simple programming code sequence and the rest is automatic.
    >
    > Same with a Cingular version.
    >
    > > One of the handiest uses for a analog inclusive prepaid, is for those
    > > Verizon users with a digital only handset.
    >
    > Even more important if you use a smaller network (in my case
    > T-Mobile)! When traveling I set my T-Mo phone to "forward when
    > unavailable" to my CallPlus.
    >
    > > I like having as many cellular networks as
    > > possible, on hand, with which to attempt a call, while
    > > travelling/camping.
    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > > Playing with the Nokia's "New Search" function, under "System". Says
    > > "No New Systems". Is this an ATTWS PRL update function?
    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > > Some of the older, non 1900mhz ATTWS Nokia models, have the ability to
    > > force analog. Lack of 1900mhz digital, could be very limiting.
    >
    > Yes and no- it means you roam more, requiring extra-digit dialing, but
    > REAL old TDMA phones (like Nokia 2160s) have no IRDB so you can
    > manually select which 800-MHz carrier to use without the phone
    > blocking either.

    My Mom's Callplus (locus) prepaid account was cancelled and the number
    lost, because she hadn't made a call in the 30 day period. I'm sure it
    wasn't more than 12 days or so over the 30 days. I called up callpus
    CS and they gave me a new number and 50 minutes. Not a total loss, but
    a hassle.

    I'm pretty religious about the 30 day call 90 day recharge because of
    that experience. Account terminations DO happen, although I've heard
    of people prolonging the required recharge/call times by quite a bit.
    Wonder if it matters if which market it is? This cancellation was in
    the SF CA market.

    I'm not familiar with TDMA 800mhz, since Cingular here in California,
    is 100% GSM and ATTWS seems to be mostly 1900mhz.

    -
    David

Verizon At&T Internet Service Providers