Dell Sues Toshiba, Hitachi, Others for LCD Cartel

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Maybe they can use the money from this to develop proper bezel-less screens. Of course, if I were to pick a company to design bezel-free tech for computers, it'd be Samsung - not Dell...

agent766

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Maybe they can use the money from this to develop proper bezel-less screens. Of course, if I were to pick a company to design bezel-free tech for computers, it'd be Samsung - not Dell...[/citation]

If they do develop bezel-free screens, that'd make it a lot more feasible for multi-screen displays. But where would the buttons go? :O

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Isn't Samsung and LG-Philips the two biggest panel makers and main supplier of DELL? Why is DELL suing smaller makers on behalf of Samsung and LG-Philips?

It feels like the LaHood, GM, and Toyota conspiracy again.

G

Dell has been having major LCD supply chain issues - this lawsuit likely has something to do with it. Three months after ordering a Studio 16 with a RGB LED 1080 display, my rep told me that he had no idea when or if the displays would be arriving in North America, and perhaps I would like to change my order.

Toddosan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]agent766[/nom]If they do develop bezel-free screens, that'd make it a lot more feasible for multi-screen displays. But where would the buttons go?[/citation]
The side of the monitor maybe.

[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]I don't think price-fixing should be considered illegal. If you are a manufacturer and you get your parts for less than the competition you should be able to sell your product at whatever price you want. This lawsuit smells like Dell is just looking for some extra cash..[/citation]

Price fixing doesn't mean one manufacturer is setting the price for their own panels however high they want. That's perfectly legal. Price fixing means that several manufacturers got together and agreed to not drop prices below a certain level, in essence creating a monopolistic situation. If the manufacturers had not agreed on this, then competition would have driven prices down, but because of the price fixing, the prices remain well above where their equilibrium would have been without the illegal collaboration.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't understand how Samsung could charge more for a cheaper technology and a cheaper method of manufacturing which means cheaper production value. Maybe that's what Dell is fighting about. Samsung wants more with less. All of this is pure speculations.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Maybe they can use the money from this to develop proper bezel-less screens. Of course, if I were to pick a company to design bezel-free tech for computers, it'd be Samsung - not Dell...[/citation]

Dell actually has a much superior linup of monitors compared to Samsung. Correct me if I am wrong, but Samsung does not put out any monitors with the best type of pannel technology, IPS. Most of Samsung monitor pannels are VA or the more common and very crappy, TN. Even though IPS monitors are not very common, and are not usually sold based on the merrits of the pannel technology, Dell does have a few IPS pannel monitors.
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php
I have been researching this alot recently because I am trying to find a relitively cheap IPS monitor at 24 inches, so I have been researching lcd monitors significantly for a few months now.

cartels are always bad for us the consumer. competition causes prices to go down for consumers, while cartels do not.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Is this the same Dell that pushes out a 30" cinema display for $2200?

The same Dell that in every single sector from 15" upwards has a price
that is more than almost every one else apart from Apple?

Maybe they aren't so angry about the price fixing so much that the price they fixed it to was still consistently less than Dell.

Gotcha, I was under the impression that several companies had got together to DROP prices and eventually gain a major profit due to Dell not being able to match whatever the competition price was at.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]Gotcha, I was under the impression that several companies had got together to DROP prices and eventually gain a major profit due to Dell not being able to match whatever the competition price was at.[/citation]
Yeah, thats why price fixing charges seem absurd. If price fixing is about artificially keeping prices at high levels then why is every accused cheaper than Dell? Whoops!

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Um poeple they're Dell is talking about the lcd screens manufactured by these manufacturers, not the actual monitors. It would make sense why Dell is more expensive: they have to buy their panels at inflated prices because they don't manufacture their own.

If this is true though I don't see how more companies wouldn't be complaining and have prices as high as Dell. Maybe it has something to do with them them being an american company but then you would think companies like HP and Apple would watn to sue as well

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Eh... screw you Dell , your LCD's suck anyway.[/citation]

since when? they have samsung internals.

also I can see why they'd sue.. they aren't suing samsung, but when you have so many other companies price fixing then it changes the market. I'm glad I don't own any of the mentioned brands. I still remember when a 15" crappy HP LCD panel cost a lot of money. and for what, this small of a piece of equipment? and u know that anything that says HP or compaq on it is going to fail which it did after 2 or 3 years for my neighbor..

I understand your point but if you actually think about it, why would Dell be angry at companies that sell their products at a higher price? I could understand if the same product was sold for cheaper and in-turn making Dell have to lower thier prices to match the competition but higher prices means more people will opt for the cheaper solution since the harware is basically the same regardless of the company (manufaturer).

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
First, can it be clarified whether or not we're talking about panel manufacturers or monitor manufacturers? There is a difference...

Doesn't Chi-Mei make the panels for Dell's monitors? Dell itself is not a panel manufacturer. They buy panels (possibly even complete monitors) from another company, then sell them as Dell-branded monitors. That is, unless things have changed recently and I missed them buying out an actual panel-maker...

The only way I can see Dell complaining is if these other companies were inflating the price of their products, but we all know that Dell's monitors tend to be on the pricier-side of things. So, this just doesn't make sense to me... Are they mad cause all these other companies are selling their units cheaper? What a shame! They're selling at a lower price AND selling more units!?

Damn capitalism!!! LOL

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Why would it be Samsung who would develop bezel-free tech?I think it'll be Vizio.[/citation]

Because Vizio tends to use older Samsung tech. Samsung is normally the top TV/display brand. Go to any store that sells them and they will all tell you Samsung is one of the best if not the best.

Now on topic, yay another lawsuit. They never seem to end.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
jimmysmitty, you say a store rep will tell you what's the best? Are you insane?

Anyway, Dell monitors have panels from various suppliers, samsung, lg, chi, are three I've personally seen. Their laptops have screens from every manufacturer I know of. I've replaced hundreds of panels over the years.

I prefer samsung panels if the rest of the electronics are up to high standards, but I've seen plenty of crappy monitors with samsung panels being used wrong (cheaply).

If this reduces prices, I'll be happy.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]agent766[/nom]If they do develop bezel-free screens, that'd make it a lot more feasible for multi-screen displays. But where would the buttons go?[/citation]
Touch panels maybe?
[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]Dell actually has a much superior linup of monitors compared to Samsung. Correct me if I am wrong, but Samsung does not put out any monitors with the best type of pannel technology, IPS. Most of Samsung monitor pannels are VA or the more common and very crappy, TN. Even though IPS monitors are not very common, and are not usually sold based on the merrits of the pannel technology, Dell does have a few IPS pannel monitors.http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guid [...] d-list.phpI have been researching this alot recently because I am trying to find a relitively cheap IPS monitor at 24 inches, so I have been researching lcd monitors significantly for a few months now.cartels are always bad for us the consumer. competition causes prices to go down for consumers, while cartels do not.[/citation]
I tihnk you're underestimating the Samsung S-PVA panels.
Their 8-series plasma's are also pieces of beauty.

I don't care what happens, just give everyone a bezeless 30" 4096×2048 uber-pva-epic-ips-oled-hybrid whatever 190/190 degree viewing angle 1000cd/m2 20watt for under $500.
That would make me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.