Only 64mb of 128mb stick recognized

longspeak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
I have tried 2 different sticks of 128mb memory in different slots, and system only sees 64mb. It is an Abit Bh6 that specs says supports 384mb in 3 slots. I'm running Win98.

Any thoughts?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read the memory FAQ! Look at your modules. Your chipset supports 16MB per CHIP on the module. My guess is you got some crappy 4-chip 128MB modules that don't work on 90% of the systems in existance because the density is too high. 4 chips is read as 64MB regardless of the actual size.

Cheap cheap cheap, it's cheaper to use half as many chips at twice the density, companies don't care if it doesn't support your board as long as it supports someone elses and it's cheap.

My advice is to get your memory from Crucial. They have 256MB modules for $30 that will work with your board, PC133 Cas2. 3 of these WILL give you 768MB, and it WILL work. Shipping from them by second day air is FREE.

The safest way to order from them is to pick your motherboard, but in this case I know what part number to use, CT32M64S4D7E. I just ordered two of these myself.

Next time read the Memory FAQ before paying somone for crap that doesn't work.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

longspeak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Crashman, there are indeed 4 chips per stick. In this case, free (after rebate) is still too much to pay for something that doesn't work. Thanks for the education, I will complete it with the memory faq's

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Free, eh? Well, I have an Athlon system they would work on, and I could offer you what you paid for them...

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the modules I mentioned in my last thread, at $30 each it's a deal that's extremely hard to pass up!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>