PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Ok, before you knock me for using an antiquated OS (I know I need to go to XP but the cash is tight just now)...

I am running the P4PE on win 98 with 512 PC2700 Samsung RAM, P4 2.4 GHzB. I dropped the mobo into a system previously running a P3 1 GHz and after getting it to recognize the new chipset drivers things seemed to work fine. Installed all the onboard drivers, no problem. Audio, LAN, USB etc. all work fine. THEN I had a problem and somehow my CD ROM deleted from my device manager so I could not "see" it. Fortunately someone had suggested copying the installation disk for the mobo onto my HDD so I could get the installation done.

I decided to fix my CD ROM problem by reinstalling Win98 over the current installation (maybe my first mistake). Things seemed to go well then I get this error that (after researching) indicated my system was not booting because Win 98 can't work with P4's > 2.1 GHz without a hotfix. Got the hotfix reinstalled Win98 SE updates over and I get messages that files were overwritten that must be restored so no boot AGAIN. After 3 calls to Microsoft tech support (they actually were very easy to get yesterday) we decide perhaps the problem is the SE update. Unfortunatly the audio onboard won't install with win 98 only...it requires SE.

So the dilemma. Until I get XP I just dropped my Hercules game surround card in and disabled on board audio but everything else seems OK. For some reason a PCI device is not set properly but USB seems to work as does the LAN for my cablemodem. I am thinking of Ghosting my current setup and trying the Win98SE updates again. I guess if it bombs I can just restore the image.

Has anyone had a problem running the board on Win 98? Could be I blew the update and that was an isolated problem. I would rather not risk having to start from scratch again if there is a problem with the OS.

Thoughts or ideas?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
LOL. I'm really not surprised that Micro$oft programmers makes code that doesn't work if the CPU is too fast.
It reminds of the ancient bug in the Turbo Pascal crt unit function.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Win98 had problems that were addressed in 98SE. Very few people run the original version.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I know, that's why I upgraded to SE (well actually at the time it was to get the ICS). Anyway, I have the SE updates on CD from Microsoft. I just want to know if I reinstall over the current 98 should I leave files that are *newer* than the update. That may be what I did wrong previoulsy...replaced newer files.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I would keep the never files. Afterall they are never. But if you replace them you will get them back when you connect to microsoft update. Either way, it shouldn't matter a lot.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
OK, thanks!
I'll ghost anyway before I run them as a precaution. I LOVE that program. Too bad it has to run in DOS.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I recommend Powerquest DriveImage. Especially if you are using NTFS. Ghost cannot write the imagefile to an NTFS partition.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And that's where the problem with the upgrade lies, you need to have those newer files installed in order for your system to work. There is a workaround, I'm not certain I should tell you about it though, as it's not legal. Anyway, DON'T replace the newer files.

My advice: Copy all your drivers to the hard drive, get into safe mode and deleted everything from device manager, and have your system redetect the parts in normal mode. The reason your CD-ROM disappeared is because it's on the secondary IDE controller, which is not installed until you install the IDE driver.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
whenn you say 'not legal" you mean unsupported by MS or that it voids something? Anyway I don't want men in black showing up at my house to take my pC so if it's that secret dont' tell.

As for the suggestion, I will take it for the future. since I am past that part now I guess I'll try to reinstall the updates and pray...
any ideas on a "safe" way to do this?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I would hope that men in black jackets don't show up on your step, but the method is:

Delete win.com from c:\windows and you'll loose your registration info. Then you can install 98SE off an OEM 98SE CD. And if your previous 98 product key was an OEM key, it will probably work with 98SE. Otherwize, you could use another key. This would allow you to do a clean 98SE install from DOS mode and avoid the need to bypass the newer files and then update.

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Oh, that's cool but doesn't help me because I don't have an OEM Win98SE disk. If I get my hands on one I will try it.
In the meantime I just ghosted my C: drive. I am going to try the straight SE update from the disk I have. If it bombs at least I can restore the partition from my other partition and stick with my current configuration (until I can get a good deal on XP).
Any thoughts on whether home is worth it. I hear pro is the better OS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't like XP. I run 98SE on my PC and XP on a server. The only reason the server uses XP is because it allocates sockets better, whatever that means (I got "out of socket" errors after a few dozen accesses under 98SE). It's a slow pig of an OS, it makes all my programs run slower due to high overhead, it's harder to configure, it uses twice as much RAM...but it's OK otherwize, nothing to fear, but nothing to get excited over either.

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Success! Win 98 se updated fine. All ASUS drivers installed.
the only problem I had was I had to point the UsB 2.0 device to the file on the installation disk. There were 2, one for W2K and one for XP. Whatever I picked worked but I don't have any USB 2.0 peripherals anyway!

Thanks for all the help