I have been trying to setup 'autodesk inventor series 6.0' a CAD program...
but it has informed me that it is not compatible with windows 98/2000... and
so I need to install xp of some form and that xp pro is the best to use to
work with it. If I were to purchase xp pro (already having either windows
98/2000)...
would I need the full version or would the upgrade version still work and be
sufficient?

Upgrade. Upgrade can do all that full can. If doing clean installs you need a GENUINE MS CD of 98 or 2000 (to prove you own it) for it to look at.

http://www.uscricket.com