Cannot upgrade to Professional from Home

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.setup (More info?)

I bought the following item

Windows XP Pro Upgrade

When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP Home
Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an option to
upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup cannot continue because
the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the
CD'.

Any ideas of what is going on ?

John Hole

John Clifford Hole wrote:
> I bought the following item
>
> Windows XP Pro Upgrade
>
> When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP
> Home Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an
> option to upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup
> cannot
> continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer
> than the version on the CD'.
>
> Any ideas of what is going on ?
>
> John Hole

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so, it's file versions
_are_ newer than the files on the WinXP Pro Upgrade CD. You'll need
to uninstall the SP to perform the upgrade.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.setup (More info?)

If you already installed SP2 in XP Home Edition:

Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.

You have two options:

1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.

or

2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"John Clifford Hole" wrote:

| I bought the following item
|
| Windows XP Pro Upgrade
|
| When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP Home
| Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an option to
| upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup cannot continue because
| the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the
| CD'.
|
| Any ideas of what is going on ?
|
| John Hole

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp (More info?)

Have you installed SP2?
this would be a newer system than the XPpro upgrade(SP1a more than likely)
you would have to uninstall SP2 & try again.

regards,

Jay C.

"John Clifford Hole" wrote:

> I bought the following item
>
> Windows XP Pro Upgrade
>
> When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP Home
> Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an option to
> upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup cannot continue because
> the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the
> CD'.
>
> Any ideas of what is going on ?
>
> John Hole

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp (More info?)

I followed the instructions in both nLite and AutoStreamer but I can't boot
from the CD. Is there another step I perhaps missed?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> If you already installed SP2 in XP Home Edition:
>
> Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
> upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
> a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
> create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
> the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.
>
> You have two options:
>
> 1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.
>
> or
>
> 2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
> and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.
>
> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>
> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "John Clifford Hole" wrote:
>
> | I bought the following item
> |
> | Windows XP Pro Upgrade
> |
> | When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP Home
> | Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an option to
> | upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup cannot continue because
> | the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the
> | CD'.
> |
> | Any ideas of what is going on ?
> |
> | John Hole

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp (More info?)

Follow instructions on this site:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Andre
"Shulkie" <Shulkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I followed the instructions in both nLite and AutoStreamer but I can't boot
> from the CD. Is there another step I perhaps missed?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you already installed SP2 in XP Home Edition:
>>
>> Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
>> upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
>> a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
>> create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
>> the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.
>>
>> You have two options:
>>
>> 1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
>> and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.
>>
>> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
>> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>>
>> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
>> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
>>
>> Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
>> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245
>>
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

>> "John Clifford Hole" wrote:
>>
>> | I bought the following item
>> |
>> | Windows XP Pro Upgrade
>> |
>> | When I put the CD into my brand new computer - running MS Windows XP
>> | Edition - and click on Install Windows XP instead of geting an option
>> | upgrade it to Professional I get this message 'Setup cannot continue
>> because
>> | the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on
>> the
>> | CD'.
>> |
>> | Any ideas of what is going on ?
>> |
>> | John Hole

Malke

Shulkie wrote:

> I followed the instructions in both nLite and AutoStreamer but I can't
> boot from the CD. Is there another step I perhaps missed?

Are you using a retail copy of XP? I haven't used AutoStreamer, but
nLite worked perfectly for me slipstreaming SP2 into both Home and Pro.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke

Shulkie wrote:

> I followed the instructions in both nLite and AutoStreamer but I can't
> boot from the CD. Is there another step I perhaps missed?

Sorry to post twice, but another thought: you *are* burning the image
file with third-party software, right? You can't use XP's built-in
burning capabilities for this.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp (More info?)

Thanks guys.
My error was in not burning the image to CD, but simply burning the 'data'