Pavilion A350y Problems

I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion A350y. Three months after install the hard
drive went bad it was a 80 gig drive. HP support sent me a replacement drive
which was 120 gig. It has been installed for three months and it also went
bad. HP is sending me another 120 gig drive to solve the problem. Has anyone
experienced this type of drive problems?
8 answers Last reply
More about pavilion a350y problems

    I just replaced an 80GB Maxtor in a client's 1.6GHz Pentium 4 Pavilion. The
    drive developed bad sectors, Maxtor's diagnostic confirmed that the drive was
    going south. I was unable to copy the entire contents of the drive to a
    replacement drive. Both drive and system were out of warranty. It is no
    coincidence that nearly all of the drive manufacturers have cut their warranties
    back to one year, all in lock step. Systems have one year warranties, too.
    This is the price paid for low quality cheap systems, which everyone seems to
    want these days. Buyers want to pay a low price. Manufacturers are happy, too,
    'cause when the system breaks down, you'll by a new one. This is planned
    obscelescence, once refined to a high degree by the Detroit automakers, opening
    the door for high quality imports from Germany, Sweden, and Japan. Get used to
    it, unless you want to pay more for a high quality system. Back up your
    important data regularly... Ben Myers

    "Dick" <Smok10a@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion A350y. Three months after install
    the hard
    > drive went bad it was a 80 gig drive. HP support sent me a
    replacement drive
    > which was 120 gig. It has been installed for three months and it
    also went
    > bad. HP is sending me another 120 gig drive to solve the problem.
    Has anyone
    > experienced this type of drive problems?

    You are one up on me. I have been trying to tell the HP Non-Support
    department that I already *Replaced the Hard Drive* since they wanted
    me to ship the whole unit back to them. Now the error was a Code 10,
    the moron in India (Yep India of all places) tells me over and over
    how he would like to help me if I send the whole machine back.

    I bought a new larger drive myself at 1/3 the cost of a HP replacement
    cost. Told the butt hole to sit and spin and let it go at that.
    As Ben stated the cost of the unit was cheap compared to most high end
    systems (Notebooks) but the good thing is now I never recommend a HP
    anything, my work uses Dells, I just purchased a new Dell laptop and
    all is well.

    For each unhappy customer out there that warns others to stay away
    from HP and the lousy service the better it makes me feel.

    Elector

    They do seem to have a great deal of trouble with harddrives
    failing...It makes you wonder if they are not getting a poorer quality
    product to begin with... I had to replace my original 60 GB western
    digital harddrive from HP right after the warranty ended ...
    (literally days after, and the machine had not been abused).. I could
    not be bothered fighting with those people in India, BTDT a few times,
    so I just bought a new WD with a 3 year warranty instead...

    That is the first instance of premature failure I can remember having
    with a WD drive.......

    In the past I have had maxtor drives fail prematurely (talk about
    junk)... I would never buy another maxtor drive...

    End of problem....

    Overall, I figure I am ahead, and this way my blood pressure did not
    wind up in the stratosphere...

    In any case, HP still has eMachines around to make them look good....

    JM

    Elector wrote:
    > "Dick" <Smok10a@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion A350y. Three months after install
    >> the hard drive went bad it was a 80 gig drive. HP support sent me a
    >> replacement drive which was 120 gig. It has been installed for
    >> three months and it also went bad. HP is sending me another 120 gig
    >> drive to solve the problem. Has anyone experienced this type of
    >> drive problems?
    >>

    > You are one up on me. I have been trying to tell the HP Non-Support
    > department that I already *Replaced the Hard Drive* since they wanted
    > me to ship the whole unit back to them. Now the error was a Code 10,
    > the moron in India (Yep India of all places) tells me over and over
    > how he would like to help me if I send the whole machine back.
    >
    > I bought a new larger drive myself at 1/3 the cost of a HP replacement
    > cost. Told the butt hole to sit and spin and let it go at that.
    > As Ben stated the cost of the unit was cheap compared to most high end
    > systems (Notebooks) but the good thing is now I never recommend a HP
    > anything, my work uses Dells, I just purchased a new Dell laptop and
    > all is well.
    >
    > For each unhappy customer out there that warns others to stay away
    > from HP and the lousy service the better it makes me feel.
    >
    > Elector

    The way the laptop business changing, how can you possibly be certain
    that Dell is an improvement? alt.sys.pc-clone.dell suggests that some
    of *their* lines are having difficulties. This month's reputation is
    certainly not last year's reputation for most computer vendors. IMO.

    The first HP a350n system I bought last December for my wife suffered
    a failed 160GB Maxtor drive in the first week. Fortunately had few
    programs loaded. Whole computer was replaced, and new one had Western
    Digital drive. Don't know if the drive vendor change was just chance
    or if HP had experienced problems with Maxtor. Probably just
    coincidence.

    In January I purchased a Sony PC to replace my ancient 100MHz machine.
    It also has Western Digital (200MB). I have since added matching
    second HD to both PC's (Western Digital in both). I have no
    information on long term reliability. Fingers crossed, ok so far.

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    wrote:

    >I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion A350y. Three months after install the hard
    >drive went bad it was a 80 gig drive. HP support sent me a replacement drive
    >which was 120 gig. It has been installed for three months and it also went
    >bad. HP is sending me another 120 gig drive to solve the problem. Has anyone
    >experienced this type of drive problems?

    I do not believe that HP uses one specific brand of drive.. I think
    that they buy drives in "lowest bid" lots, and just install them in
    whatever computers they are building, and when their stock starts to
    get low, the put another lot out for bid... Hence the variety of
    drives found in HP boxes... (I think this is also probably true for
    most of the components in their systems.)

    For example, the HP533w may have an ASUS motherboard,
    *or* it may have a TriGem motherboard.. (If you are lucky, it is an
    ASUS board in your system, and not a TriGem)....

    It is sort of a garbage-in , garbage-out based model, without many
    real specs or standards to maintain..... This also helps to explain
    the lack of documentation provided with the machines, and on HP's
    website... It makes you wonder where all the employees from US
    Packard Bell wound up...

    There, now doesn't that sound jaded?

    JM

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:05:16 GMT, Dick Ballard <ballardr@att.net>
    wrote:

    >The first HP a350n system I bought last December for my wife suffered
    >a failed 160GB Maxtor drive in the first week. Fortunately had few
    >programs loaded. Whole computer was replaced, and new one had Western
    >Digital drive. Don't know if the drive vendor change was just chance
    >or if HP had experienced problems with Maxtor. Probably just
    >coincidence.
    >
    >In January I purchased a Sony PC to replace my ancient 100MHz machine.
    >It also has Western Digital (200MB). I have since added matching
    >second HD to both PC's (Western Digital in both). I have no
    >information on long term reliability. Fingers crossed, ok so far.
    >
    >Dick Ballard
    >ballardr@att.net

    I think you are probably correct about brands of components used, but
    I would also suggest that ALL of the common PC brands are alike in
    this respect, be it HP, Sony, Dell, Brand X, you name it. After all,
    there is extremely fierce price competition for a commodity type of
    product.

    Specifications exist, I'm sure, and most of the components in a PC are
    designed for fairly common interface standards. But I also suspect
    that reliability is one "spec" that is either not adequately supported
    by actual data or doesn't get much priority in the component purchase
    process. If a manufacturer gets a lot of warranty returns ($$$) on a
    component, then that issue will be addressed, but only
    retrospectively.

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:32:13 -0700, JustMee <me@nowhere.com.invalid>
    wrote:

    >I do not believe that HP uses one specific brand of drive.. I think
    >that they buy drives in "lowest bid" lots, and just install them in
    >whatever computers they are building, and when their stock starts to
    >get low, the put another lot out for bid... Hence the variety of
    >drives found in HP boxes... (I think this is also probably true for
    >most of the components in their systems.)
    >
    >For example, the HP533w may have an ASUS motherboard,
    >*or* it may have a TriGem motherboard.. (If you are lucky, it is an
    >ASUS board in your system, and not a TriGem)....
    >
    >It is sort of a garbage-in , garbage-out based model, without many
    >real specs or standards to maintain..... This also helps to explain
    >the lack of documentation provided with the machines, and on HP's
    >website... It makes you wonder where all the employees from US
    >Packard Bell wound up...
    >

    >There, now doesn't that sound jaded?
    >
    >JM
    >
    >On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:05:16 GMT, Dick Ballard <ballardr@att.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The first HP a350n system I bought last December for my wife suffered
    >>a failed 160GB Maxtor drive in the first week. Fortunately had few
    >>programs loaded. Whole computer was replaced, and new one had Western
    >>Digital drive. Don't know if the drive vendor change was just chance
    >>or if HP had experienced problems with Maxtor. Probably just
    >>coincidence.
    >>
    >>In January I purchased a Sony PC to replace my ancient 100MHz machine.
    >>It also has Western Digital (200MB). I have since added matching
    >>second HD to both PC's (Western Digital in both). I have no
    >>information on long term reliability. Fingers crossed, ok so far.
    >>
    >>Dick Ballard
    >>ballardr@att.net

    <snip>
    > The way the laptop business changing, how can you possibly be
    certain
    > that Dell is an improvement? alt.sys.pc-clone.dell suggests that
    some
    > of *their* lines are having difficulties. This month's reputation
    is
    > certainly not last year's reputation for most computer vendors.
    IMO.

    That is true on the whole. Going by years of laptop use at work and
    current experience with the HP (ZE4420US) the Dells have never broken
    down. However my HP had to be serviced 25 Minutes out of the box (That
    problem is also on going) the Sympatics Mouse-touchpad turns on and
    works and then it won't. This is a constant annoyance. However I had
    the foresight to get a mouse before my first use. Again I can see HP
    needing the machine for that repair, but I can also repair it myself
    and ask for the part and they refuse to send it. However in work when
    a Dell needs a part (Touchpad) they send it overnight when a user
    broke it and not through a fault of Dell. Took old one out snap new
    one in, problem all fixed.

    So my bargain HP laptop at $1200 cost me an additional $150-$200 for
    my hard drive, and $25 for a mini mouse. My new Dell costs me $800 and
    it has no problems what so ever. Hard Drive is small but I can replace
    that myself.

    Elector

Hewlett Packard Pavilion Computers