Windows XP - SP2

I am almost ready toinstall the SP2, I have been reading
so many problems with the SP2 I am wondering if one
really needs it. What exactly will it do for me, and
does one really need it. Hope someone can help me solve
my delima. Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about windows

    Hi,

    Basically, it...

    - Installs any missing critical updates
    - Adds functionality to the firewall
    - Adds DEP (something that is useful to keep down the malware)
    - Makes some minor cosmetic changes

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "liverlover" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am almost ready toinstall the SP2, I have been reading
    > so many problems with the SP2 I am wondering if one
    > really needs it. What exactly will it do for me, and
    > does one really need it. Hope someone can help me solve
    > my delima. Thanks

    Also, never hurts to take some precautions before installing SP2.

    I did do the following just prior to installing XP:

    Checked for adware/spyware with Ad Aware 6.0
    Checked for latest updates for my peripherals
    Checked for latest updates for my applications
    Updated my AV software virus definition files.
    Ran a virus scan.
    Did a disk cleanup, cleaning out temp files and cookies.
    Did a chkdsk on my system drive.
    Imaged my system partition with PowerQuest Drive Image to external hard
    drive. ( if no imaging software, I would strongly recommend , at the least,
    backing up all important data files, and settings ). Take precaution when
    deciding what to back up, make triple sure you have any data files that are
    very important to you backed up in some way, either to another partion, hard
    drive, cdr, floppy.

    Downloaded SP2 network version ( complete 266 mb file) from windows update
    catalogue site.
    Disabled my AV software.
    Installed SP2. I think it took about 15 minutes for me, maybe 20 at the
    most.

    After installation:
    Ran disk defragger on system partition. Made sure AV software was activated
    again. Checked my main applications and programs I run to make sure no
    issues.

    No problems, and my computer appears to be a little snappier. No conflicts
    with any of the security features, matter of fact i have a hardware nat
    firewall with my router for my cable internet, and have the XP firewall on,
    and no issues. I also really like the pop up blocker.

    Don Burnette

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Basically, it...
    >
    > - Installs any missing critical updates
    > - Adds functionality to the firewall
    > - Adds DEP (something that is useful to keep down the malware)
    > - Makes some minor cosmetic changes
    >

    > "liverlover" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I am almost ready toinstall the SP2, I have been reading
    >> so many problems with the SP2 I am wondering if one
    >> really needs it. What exactly will it do for me, and
    >> does one really need it. Hope someone can help me solve
    >> my delima. Thanks

    "You win some, you lose some", suggests luck.
    Often said by those unwilling to take time to prepare for a
    significant update and counting on luck.
    Since there is no such thing as luck, you should prepare the computer
    to reduce the possibility of potential issues.

    See these links for what you get:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7bd948d7-b791-40b6-8364-685b84158c78&DisplayLang=en

    Also see:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    To reduce the possibility of problems related to installation of SP-2,
    follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "liverlover" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am almost ready toinstall the SP2, I have been reading
    > so many problems with the SP2 I am wondering if one
    > really needs it. What exactly will it do for me, and
    > does one really need it. Hope someone can help me solve
    > my delima. Thanks

    Can you personally guarantee that will work 100% of the time on 100% of all
    computers?

    Testy

    > "You win some, you lose some", suggests luck.
    > Often said by those unwilling to take time to prepare for a significant
    > update and counting on luck.
    > Since there is no such thing as luck, you should prepare the computer to
    > reduce the possibility of potential issues.
    >
    > See these links for what you get:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7bd948d7-b791-40b6-8364-685b84158c78&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > Also see:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
    >
    > To reduce the possibility of problems related to installation of SP-2,
    > follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "liverlover" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am almost ready toinstall the SP2, I have been reading
    >> so many problems with the SP2 I am wondering if one
    >> really needs it. What exactly will it do for me, and
    >> does one really need it. Hope someone can help me solve
    >> my delima. Thanks

    I never suggested "100% of the time", that is entirely your idea.
    However preparation sure beats the ridiculous idea that luck has
    anything to do with success or failure of anything.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    > Can you personally guarantee that will work 100% of the time on 100%
    > of all computers?
    >
    > Testy

    Bottom line, SP2 is not a necessary upgrade. Keep you
    system up to date with security updates and anti-virus
    software and you will be fine. There is no need to risk
    corrupting your computer.

    Well then, you win some and you lose some!

    Testy

    >I never suggested "100% of the time", that is entirely your idea.
    > However preparation sure beats the ridiculous idea that luck has anything
    > to do with success or failure of anything.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> Can you personally guarantee that will work 100% of the time on 100% of
    >> all computers?
    >>
    >> Testy

    And whose idea is it that winning has anything to do with luck? Anyone in a
    skilled game can win, is it luck when they do?

    Testy

    >I never suggested "100% of the time", that is entirely your idea.
    > However preparation sure beats the ridiculous idea that luck has anything
    > to do with success or failure of anything.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> Can you personally guarantee that will work 100% of the time on 100% of
    >> all computers?
    >>
    >> Testy

    In the "skilled game" it is the preparation of practice and learning.
    Again the myth luck has no part in it.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > And whose idea is it that winning has anything to do with luck?
    > Anyone in a skilled game can win, is it luck when they do?
    >
    > Testy

    You are the only one who mentioned "luck".
    And the athletes who prepared years for the Olympics and lost......

    Testy

    Testy

    > In the "skilled game" it is the preparation of practice and learning.
    > Again the myth luck has no part in it.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> And whose idea is it that winning has anything to do with luck? Anyone in
    >> a skilled game can win, is it luck when they do?
    >>
    >> Testy

    In a previous post:
    "You win some, you lose some", suggests luck.
    You did not comment then so it must have been OK with you then.
    What changed?

    Olympics have nothing to do with luck.
    If you think luck is important, that is a loss to you.
    I prefer preparation to luck.
    But then unlike you I have success.
    Interesting, I rely on preparation and succeed.
    You rely on something else and fail.
    Interesting.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > You are the only one who mentioned "luck".
    > And the athletes who prepared years for the Olympics and lost......
    >
    > Testy
    >

    > Testy
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> In the "skilled game" it is the preparation of practice and
    >> learning.
    >> Again the myth luck has no part in it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >>> And whose idea is it that winning has anything to do with luck?
    >>> Anyone in a skilled game can win, is it luck when they do?
    >>>
    >>> Testy

    As I said YOU are the only one who mentioned "luck" I am not responsible for
    your incorrect assumptions.
    My point is no matter how much you prepare something still can go wrong.

    Testy

    > In a previous post:
    > "You win some, you lose some", suggests luck.
    > You did not comment then so it must have been OK with you then.
    > What changed?
    >
    > Olympics have nothing to do with luck.
    > If you think luck is important, that is a loss to you.
    > I prefer preparation to luck.
    > But then unlike you I have success.
    > Interesting, I rely on preparation and succeed.
    > You rely on something else and fail.
    > Interesting.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> You are the only one who mentioned "luck".
    >> And the athletes who prepared years for the Olympics and lost......
    >>
    >> Testy
    >>

    >> Testy
    >>
    >> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> In the "skilled game" it is the preparation of practice and learning.
    >>> Again the myth luck has no part in it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>>

    >>> "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message

    What do you think I have failed at? I never said I had any problems, just
    many of my clients, SP2 is making me wealthy.

    Testy

    > In a previous post:
    > "You win some, you lose some", suggests luck.
    > You did not comment then so it must have been OK with you then.
    > What changed?
    >
    > Olympics have nothing to do with luck.
    > If you think luck is important, that is a loss to you.
    > I prefer preparation to luck.
    > But then unlike you I have success.
    > Interesting, I rely on preparation and succeed.
    > You rely on something else and fail.
    > Interesting.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >> You are the only one who mentioned "luck".
    >> And the athletes who prepared years for the Olympics and lost......
    >>
    >> Testy
    >>

    >> Testy
    >>
    >> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> In the "skilled game" it is the preparation of practice and learning.
    >>> Again the myth luck has no part in it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>>

    >>> "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You seem to have answered your own question.
    Q: "What do you think I have failed at?"
    A: "just many of my clients, SP2 is making me wealthy."

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > What do you think I have failed at? I never said I had any problems,
    > just many of my clients, SP2 is making me wealthy.
    >
    > Testy
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Luck is the point where opportunity and ability intersect. You must have
    good opportunity and good ability to have good luck. However if either
    ability or opportunity are bad then you have bad luck.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    > And whose idea is it that winning has anything to do with luck? Anyone in
    > a skilled game can win, is it luck when they do?
    >
    > Testy
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >>I never suggested "100% of the time", that is entirely your idea.
    >> However preparation sure beats the ridiculous idea that luck has anything
    >> to do with success or failure of anything.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can you personally guarantee that will work 100% of the time on 100% of
    >>> all computers?
    >>>
    >>> Testy

Microsoft Windows XP