new bios chip

shoel

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
I have a mobo that needs a new chip. I ruined the original, which someone mis-flashed (if thats a word), by trying to flash the chip with another computer. I was told this works but i think that the motherboard on the working computer was just too old and had an incompatable chip even though it had the same pins.
Then manufacutere doesnt supply new chips anymore. I found a site the other day that said they could do any bios/mobo for you but i lost the dang site.. do you have any links to a place where i can get a new chip that is flashed with this bios (i have the .bin file)

thank you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Send me the board and I'll try to fix the BIOS. It will cost you $10 for labor and $10 for shipping, total $20. If it's unfixable I'll ship it by a cheaper method (slower) and refund the remaining money.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

shoel

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
Send you the board? what would you do with the whole board? The BIOS chip is not just misflashed, it is destroyed.
Someone gave me the computer because they misflashed it. I found a program online called Uniflash where you can boot a computer with a similar bios chip, remove that chip, put in the misflashed one and force flash it with the correct BIOS, essentially using the other computer as an eprom writer. Well, I tried this but as soon as I put the misflashed chip in the other computer it fried. It was an old computer so I figured it probably wouldnt work but I didnt think it was going to fry. I should have just waited and did it with another socket7 platform but I got anxious. Anyway, so the BIOS chip is destroyed.
I need a new chip, then I need it flashed with this bin file I have. If I had a new chip I would try Uniflash again with a socket7 platform, but if I can just go to a site tell them the mobo and the chip number and have them send me a finished BIOS chip then ill do it. I found a site like this about a week ago by mistake (I was helping a friend fix his computer) so I didnt bookmark it. I thought it was something like BIOSKING or something. Anyone have any ideas?

Thx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reason I said send me the board is because when I was done flashing a new chip, I'd want to test it. Anyway, I have BIOS chips, I'll sell you one for $5. And you can try again. If the thing went up in smoke, you put it in the wrong way. The method you used works, as it's the method I've used. You need to make certain you go by the markings on the chip/socket and put it in the right way.

All my spares are 128KB, aka 1Mbit. If you need a 256k chip, aka 2Mbit, you'll have to look elsewhere.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

shoel

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
Hmm I guess its possible that I put it in the wrong way but I thought of that and checked it after it fried, it looked right.

Does the brand/number on the actual chip matter? for example, could i go get a chip out of any non working board and flash that with the correct bios? or is there a certain type of chip I need?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are different voltages for them, I believe they are 12V and 5V. And there are jumpers on some older boards to select which voltage to use. But I've never encountered that issue (it sounds like you might have). The rectagular chips have a little dimple in the center of one end that matches up to the socket end that has a little notch missing. The square ones are marked also.

shoel

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
I did a little reading today, turns out the chips are different. Not only are there different voltages, there are different page sizes, different speeds etc. There are even cross reference sheets for compatable chips. If you have a Winbond w29c020 or compadable chip, i'll buy it. Otherwise, I have been trying to find out where to get one but had no luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh crap, I forgot to tell you, I just ordered a small quantity of these a while ago.