New drivers less fps on COD4

acegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I have a WinFast PX7800 GT TDH MyVIVO Extreme, when i had the old drivers 83.10 which I got from the leadtek site I had great FPS, lowest it ever went in multiplayer was 115. Now I had to upgrade to the newest drivers 169.21 that I got from Nvidia site and the FPS will drop to 30 at times which is killing me. I had to upgrade because with the old driver my game would constantly crash. I'm stuck between old drivers with great FPS but constant crashing, or use the new drivers which suck for FPS but no crashes. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of a way I can get the best of both worlds, FPS and no crash. BTW I play on all setting low low low w/ old and new drivers.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Forget the new drivers if all they do is screw up your fps. Just skip this driver release and wait for the next one and hopefully your issue will disappear. You don't ALWAYS need to update your drivers, just every couple releases. Heck, if you are happy with the performance you are getting there is virtually no reason to update your drivers every release cycle.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
your right there isnt any real reason but god damit im anal as hell and i want that potential 0.01 fps lextra ol

Is there a patch for cod4 youve missed or something?

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
exact same problem here, i run 2 6800GS's in SLi and after new drivers the control panel is buggy and unresponsive and my fps have dropped by a few frames. doesnt sound that bad but i dont exactly get good fps!

on a side note, anyone know how to get SLi working. even when the "SLi meter" is showing full load i get no increase!

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Me 2. I wont let a driver update go unused. EVER!

Best,

3Ball

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Ok this is a bit of noob question but how do you guys tell what FPS the games running at. Is there some diagnostic program you can download that tells you?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

yes, you can run fraps. Or you could just press ~ and drop the console down and type in the command to read the fps. I am not sure what it is, but I believe it is one of these.

/cg_drawfps 1 or /cg_showfps 1

and to turn it off you would type:

/cg_drawfps 0 or /cg_showfps 0

I am not sure since I haven't personally don't it, but I would assume this is what it is.

Best,

3Ball