Do I really need to install SP 2?

Do I need to install Windows XP SP 2 since I have a good
firewall and anti-virus on my computer now? What are the
pros and cons on installing SP2? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

SP2 is a solid, secure release. It is a major "Critical Update"
for Windows XP and updates over 5 million lines of code,
enabling much stronger security, stability, and affords a tad better
performance benefit. SP2 was extensively tested on hundreds of
thousands of various computer configurations over a period of
many, many months. I would encourage you to install it at your
earliest convenience.

You may wish to view the following:

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Janice W." wrote:

| Do I need to install Windows XP SP 2 since I have a good
| firewall and anti-virus on my computer now? What are the
| pros and cons on installing SP2? Any help would be
| greatly appreciated.

On Microsoft's website whattoknow, it doesn't mention
about using a program to get rid of malware, but I was
told to use a program like Adware before installing SP2.
What is the best program to rid of malware? Thanks

spx

--------------------

>"Janice W." wrote:
>
>| Do I need to install Windows XP SP 2 since I have a
good
>| firewall and anti-virus on my computer now? What are
the
>| pros and cons on installing SP2? Any help would be
>| greatly appreciated.
>.

Scan your PC for the presence of viruses and spyware:

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Janice W." wrote:

| On Microsoft's website whattoknow, it doesn't mention
| about using a program to get rid of malware, but I was
| told to use a program like Adware before installing SP2.
| What is the best program to rid of malware? Thanks

"Do I need to install Windows XP SP 2 since I have a good firewall and
anti-virus on my computer now? What are the pros and cons on installing SP2?
Any help would be greatly appreciated"

There are some advantages of intalling SP2 but at the moment it isnot worth
the hastle there are too many bug in it, i'd wait a few months before
installing it. I've installed it on my system once and I could hardly do
anything, every time I tried to delete a file or open explorer via "My
Computer" icon on the desktop explorer.exe stopped responding.

Wait for what?
The SP-2 of today is the same as SP-2 of next year.
If you wait and do nothing more, you are only wasting time.

Instead research possible hardware and software issues:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
When ready follow the Service pack Installation checklist to help for
a problem free installation:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"David Robinson" <David Robinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:349A26E1-A184-4059-B9AF-67C21884D62D@microsoft.com...
> There are some advantages of intalling SP2 but at the moment it
> isnot worth
> the hastle there are too many bug in it, i'd wait a few months
> before
> installing it. I've installed it on my system once and I could
> hardly do
> anything, every time I tried to delete a file or open explorer via
> "My
> Computer" icon on the desktop explorer.exe stopped responding.

SP2 is a "Critical Update" however is not essential that you upgrade to SP2
if you have SP1 installed and keep it updated. SP2 does offer more security
features but if you are security conscious already then it might not be
necessary for you to install it.

Before installing SP2 you should read here to learn more about it
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
You should also be aware that on a few systems it causes problems with
restarting after it has been installed.
Check here if you find your system won't boot and you need to remove SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355&Product=windowsxpsp2

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Janice W." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to install Windows XP SP 2 since I have a good
> firewall and anti-virus on my computer now? What are the
> pros and cons on installing SP2? Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

There is a whole list of "What to do after installing SP 2", on everything
from hardware to software. It is part of http://support.microsoft.com. I
haven't had a chance to go through the list, except to look for a solution to
the 5 security holes in I. E. that are still showing up with Spybot, that I
was expecting SP 2 to fix - it did not.

cksdjs

cksdjs wrote:
> There is a whole list of "What to do after installing SP 2", on
> everything from hardware to software. It is part of
> http://support.microsoft.com. I haven't had a chance to go through
> the list, except to look for a solution to the 5 security holes in I.
> E. that are still showing up with Spybot, that I was expecting SP 2
> to fix - it did not.

DSO Exploits?
Known Spybot Search and Destroy issue - not MS.

--
<- Shenan ->

Then why did Spybot S&D not keep finding these 5 "DSO Exploits" when I was
using Win2000? It never found them even once. Spybot S&D says that the
Company is Microsoft; the product Internet Explorer; and the threat is
Security hole. The Description is: "There's a security hole in IE allowing
websites to execute code without asking you first. You can find more
information at http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/" This page says
that they do not provide support for the problem, and the rest of the page is
technical language enough that I cannot understand the information.
I just know that I did not have the problem with Win2000, and I was already
using Spybot S&D.

cksdjs

cksdjs wrote:
> Then why did Spybot S&D not keep finding these 5 "DSO Exploits" when
> I was using Win2000? It never found them even once. Spybot S&D says
> that the Company is Microsoft; the product Internet Explorer; and the
> threat is Security hole. The Description is: "There's a security
> hole in IE allowing websites to execute code without asking you
> first. You can find more information at
> http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/" This page says that
> they do not provide support for the problem, and the rest of the page
> is technical language enough that I cannot understand the
> information.
> I just know that I did not have the problem with Win2000, and I was
> already using Spybot S&D.

Google is broken again, eh? You'd really think with their billions of
dollars, they could keep that site up..

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=15308

There is a beta test version available (Spybot 1.3.1) that seems to have
corrected the problem. If you want to try it rather than wait, Download the
following and execute the installation program:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/spybotsd131tx.exe

--
<- Shenan ->

I'm just green enough to not know what I'm supposed to be searching for with
Google. ...or is that what you meant that I should do?

cksdjs