Lh 4 server & Hp Ux

anand

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

Hi All,

I want to know can i install Hp UX on Lh 4 netserver & i did not find
any info on HP site or it is not possible any help is appreciated.

thanks
tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

I do not think so. HP-UX is for proprietary HP hardware. NetServers are
intended to run Windows server or Linux... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
> I do not think so. HP-UX is for proprietary HP hardware.

No fully so (anymore): HP-UX runs on PA-RISC (proprietary) and IA64
(non-proprietary). OTOH you are 'right' in the sense that (AFAIK) HP-UX
is not *supported* on non HP-*branded* hardware (even if IA64).

> NetServers are intended to run Windows server or Linux...

Indeed, and are IA32 on which HP-UX does not run.

For the OP the bottom line is of course the same.

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:20:03 +0530, Anand <anand@icmgworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >

> >I want to know can i install Hp UX on Lh 4 netserver & i did not find
> >any info on HP site or it is not possible any help is appreciated.
> >

> >thanks
> >tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

IA64 has such a miniscule market presence at this time that it might as well be
considered proprietary. There are HP-branded IA64 machines. I cannot think of
any other brands, altho they may exist, like purple cows. IA64 has been less
than a resounding success, as Intel and HP both misjudged what it could do for
the world... Ben Myers

On 12 Jun 2004 13:29:14 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
>> I do not think so. HP-UX is for proprietary HP hardware.
>
> No fully so (anymore): HP-UX runs on PA-RISC (proprietary) and IA64
>(non-proprietary). OTOH you are 'right' in the sense that (AFAIK) HP-UX
>is not *supported* on non HP-*branded* hardware (even if IA64).
>
>> NetServers are intended to run Windows server or Linux...
>
> Indeed, and are IA32 on which HP-UX does not run.
>
> For the OP the bottom line is of course the same.
>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:20:03 +0530, Anand <anand@icmgworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi All,
>> >

>> >I want to know can i install Hp UX on Lh 4 netserver & i did not find
>> >any info on HP site or it is not possible any help is appreciated.
>> >

>> >thanks
>> >tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On 12 Jun 2004 13:29:14 GMT
Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> No fully so (anymore): HP-UX runs on PA-RISC (proprietary) and IA64
> (non-proprietary). OTOH you are 'right' in the sense that (AFAIK) HP-UX
> is not *supported* on non HP-*branded* hardware (even if IA64).

PA-RISC is "proprietary" to Hewlett-Packard, and IA64 (Itanic :)
is "proprietary" to Intel. There are no second sources and the
architecture hasn't been opened (unlike, for instance, SPARC
which is truly non-proprietary as anyone can make a SPARC processor).

One of the major marketing successes of the Microsoft and Intel
is that they have managed to reverse the meaning of "proprietary".
There are published specifications for Unix (POSIX and SUS), for
SPARC, for the ARM, etc. There's no such thing for Windows and
Intel processors, but it's not exceptional to hear DP management
critters ramble about replacing "proprietary Unix systems" with
"non-proprietary" Wintel kit.

Shudder.

--
Stefaan
--

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> IA64 has such a miniscule market presence at this time that it might
> as well be considered proprietary.

It's at least not as proprietary as PA-RISC. HP-UX runs fine on an SGI 750
or an Dell 730...

> There are HP-branded IA64
> machines. I cannot think of any other brands, altho they may exist,
> like purple cows.

Want a few names? IBM, Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens, SGI, Maxdata, and even
Langchao...

SGI is betting it's whole future on IA64...

> IA64 has been less than a resounding success, as
> Intel and HP both misjudged what it could do for the world...

At least for our company there is no better platform than HP-UX on IA64...

Benjamin

Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@deletemeecc.lu> wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2004 13:29:14 GMT
> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> > No fully so (anymore): HP-UX runs on PA-RISC (proprietary) and IA64
> > (non-proprietary). OTOH you are 'right' in the sense that (AFAIK) HP-UX
> > is not *supported* on non HP-*branded* hardware (even if IA64).
>
> PA-RISC is "proprietary" to Hewlett-Packard, and IA64 (Itanic :)
> is "proprietary" to Intel.

Well, "proprietary" to Intel *and* HP, or, as I prefer to think, the
other way around! :), but in this context that is just a minor nit.

> There are no second sources and the
> architecture hasn't been opened (unlike, for instance, SPARC
> which is truly non-proprietary as anyone can make a SPARC processor).

Watch it, if you continue like that, PA-RISC *is* "non-proprietary"! :)

Anyway, I know all that, but Ben wrote:

B> I do not think so. HP-UX is for proprietary HP hardware. NetServers
B> are intended to run Windows server or Linux... Ben Myers

So he considered PA-RISC to be "proprietary HP hardware" (note
"proprietary" and "HP") and, implicitly, considered (HP) NetServers,
i.e. IA32, to be non-proprietary. I responded in *that* context.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On 14 Jun 2004 06:38:27 GMT
Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> So he considered PA-RISC to be "proprietary HP hardware" (note
> "proprietary" and "HP") and, implicitly, considered (HP) NetServers,
> i.e. IA32, to be non-proprietary. I responded in *that* context.

It's true that from HP's viewpoint PA-RISC is proprietary,
and Itanic isn't. Still it's sad that companies that once
were at the forefront of technological development have
degenerated to nearly empty marketing hulks, and that to
the end-user non-proprietary has become synonymous with
Wintel.

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--
"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

In defense of the concept that the IA32 architecture is not proprietary compared
to a more closed architecture like PA-RISC:

1. AMD makes instruction-compatible CPUs, tho no longer plug-compatible with
IA32. Other companies now and then flirt with designing and marketing IA32
CPUs.
2. One has the choice of how many hundred motherboard manufacturers which run
IA32 CPUs?
3. Hard drives, CD-ROM drives, floppy drives, graphics cards etc etc are largely
interchangable parts.
4. As long as one chooses a "white box" chassis or a name brand chassis designed
like a white box chassis, the selection of hardware components is almost
limitless. There are no constraints such as a requirement that a hard drive
have specific firmware to be recoginzed by a proprietary controller.

On the other hand, I will probably go to my grave and NEVER NEVER NEVER defend
the reputed openess of Windows. Plain and simple, Windows is as proprietary as
software can get... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:47:40 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu>
wrote:

>On 14 Jun 2004 06:38:27 GMT
>Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> So he considered PA-RISC to be "proprietary HP hardware" (note
>> "proprietary" and "HP") and, implicitly, considered (HP) NetServers,
>> i.e. IA32, to be non-proprietary. I responded in *that* context.
>
>It's true that from HP's viewpoint PA-RISC is proprietary,
>and Itanic isn't. Still it's sad that companies that once
>were at the forefront of technological development have
>degenerated to nearly empty marketing hulks, and that to
>the end-user non-proprietary has become synonymous with
>Wintel.
>
>Take care,
>
>--
>Stefaan
>--
>"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:12:46 GMT
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> In defense of the concept that the IA32 architecture is not proprietary
> compared to a more closed architecture like PA-RISC:
>
> 1. AMD makes instruction-compatible CPUs, tho no longer plug-compatible
> with IA32. Other companies now and then flirt with designing and
> marketing IA32 CPUs.

But IA32 is not a published standard, unlike for example SPARC.
Since the 486, Intel no longer enters into second-source agreements,
and all the instruction compatible chips (like AMD and VIA) are so
through reverse engineering. In addition, the sockets and chipsets
are specific to a particular CPU clone, but it is true that one is
not limited to Intel if one's keen on the IA32 instruction set.
The IA64 (the unsuccessful Itanium/Itanic) OTOH is totally, completely
and utterly proprietary. No second source, no competitor, no sales :)
Remember it was the IA64 that Frank labelled as "non-proprietary".

> 2. One has the choice of how many hundred motherboard manufacturers
> which run IA32 CPUs?

But that doesn't make the CPU any less proprietary.

> 3. Hard drives, CD-ROM drives, floppy drives, graphics cards etc etc are
> largely interchangable parts.

The same applied to H-P's workstations, they used the EISA
bus, SCSI drives, etc.

> 4. As long as one chooses a "white box" chassis or a name brand chassis
> designed like a white box chassis, the selection of hardware components
> is almost limitless. There are no constraints such as a requirement
> that a hard drive have specific firmware to be recoginzed by a
> proprietary controller.

That hasn't been the case with SCSI for a very long time.
The idea that disk drives were built for a particular computer
line effectively died with the SMD interface in the late 1970ies.

And _at processor level_, IA64 is just as proprietary as PA-RISC.
It doesn't matter that the hapless sgi also sells Itanic kit, because
the moment Intel decides they've spent enough on it, all the Itanic
vendors will be toast.

> On the other hand, I will probably go to my grave and NEVER NEVER NEVER
> defend the reputed openess of Windows. Plain and simple, Windows is as
> proprietary as software can get...

It's probably the most proprietary of all the mainstream OSes.
Amazing that so many organisations decide to depend on it.

--
Stefaan
--
"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@deletemeecc.lu> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:12:46 GMT
> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
> > In defense of the concept that the IA32 architecture is not proprietary
> > compared to a more closed architecture like PA-RISC:
> >
> > 1. AMD makes instruction-compatible CPUs, tho no longer plug-compatible
> > with IA32. Other companies now and then flirt with designing and
> > marketing IA32 CPUs.
>
> But IA32 is not a published standard, unlike for example SPARC.
> Since the 486, Intel no longer enters into second-source agreements,
> and all the instruction compatible chips (like AMD and VIA) are so
> through reverse engineering.

See, Ben, by that criterium, PA-RISC is non-proprietary and IA32 is
proprietary! Who would have thought *that*!? :)

[deleted]

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jvn 2004 15:34:20 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lv>
wrote:
<SNIP!>

>That hasn't been the case with SCSI for a very long time.
>The idea that disk drives were bvilt for a particvlar compvter
>line effectively died with the SMD interface in the late 1970ies.

Not qvite trve. Companies like EMC and StorageTek, to name two, manage to
cobble vp their proprietary hardware to eliminate the possibility of vsing any
SCSI drive except their own branded drives bvrned with special EMC or
StorageTek, respectively, firmware.

<SNIP!>

>> On the other hand, I will probably go to my grave and NEVER NEVER NEVER
>> defend the repvted openess of Windows. Plain and simple, Windows is as
>> proprietary as software can get...
>
>It's probably the most proprietary of all the mainstream OSes.
>Amazing that so many organisations decide to depend on it.

Whether we like it or not, Intel IA32 CPUs are here to stay for a very long
time, vntil there is some monvmental paradigm shift (whatever that bvzz-phrase
means) that drives bvyers to another hardware architectvre. Proprietary or not,
IA32 hardware is inexpensive and reliable and has the advantage that tons of
vsefvl software applications rvn on it, Linvx, Windows and otherwise. It is
applications that make the hardware world go 'rovnd. Many CPU manvfactvrers
have fallen by the wayside by failing to realize that their CPUs simply cannot
sell all by themselves, and that people bvy compvters to perform vsefvl tasks
via software. Any CPU alternative to IA32 needs to be svpported by loads and
loads of ovt-of-the-box software applications, or it is doomed to glean very
small market share. Even Intel vnderestimated this with its lame Itanic.

As far as Windows goes, I really appreciate the strong stand taken by Mario
Monti and his band of merry men against Microsoft. (Are they so merry? Probably
they are pretty dovr.) I hope that the rest of the Evropean Union svpports it.
The US Government caved in to Microsoft after clear and obviovs findings of
monopolistic behavior becavse the new-at-the-time Bvsh regime forced its
anti-consvmer, pro-bvsiness agenda on the entire free world. Bvt Linvx-based
systems are making inroads, especially in the server world, threatening the
Microsoft monopoly to the extent that Steve Ballmer bloviates regvlarly against
Linvx, like some great whale come to the svrface of the ocean to spovt off.
Linvx on the desktop is getting better and better, and enovgh companies and
enterprises are totally pissed off with Microsoft that they are considering or
implementing Linvx alternatives, sometimes at great initial cost.

We may have differences, semantic or otherwise, abovt what is proprietary and
what is not... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> In defense of the concept that the IA32 architecture is not proprietary compared
> to a more closed architecture like PA-RISC:
>
> 1. AMD makes instruction-compatible CPUs, tho no longer plug-compatible with
> IA32. Other companies now and then flirt with designing and marketing IA32
> CPUs.
> 2. One has the choice of how many hundred motherboard manufacturers which run
> IA32 CPUs?
> 3. Hard drives, CD-ROM drives, floppy drives, graphics cards etc etc are largely
> interchangable parts.
> 4. As long as one chooses a "white box" chassis or a name brand chassis designed
> like a white box chassis, the selection of hardware components is almost
> limitless. There are no constraints such as a requirement that a hard drive
> have specific firmware to be recoginzed by a proprietary controller.
>
> On the other hand, I will probably go to my grave and NEVER NEVER NEVER defend
> the reputed openess of Windows. Plain and simple, Windows is as proprietary as
> software can get... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:47:40 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu>
> wrote:
>

>>On 14 Jun 2004 06:38:27 GMT
>>Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> So he considered PA-RISC to be "proprietary HP hardware" (note
>>>"proprietary" and "HP") and, implicitly, considered (HP) NetServers,
>>>i.e. IA32, to be non-proprietary. I responded in *that* context.
>>
>>It's true that from HP's viewpoint PA-RISC is proprietary,
>>and Itanic isn't. Still it's sad that companies that once
>>were at the forefront of technological development have
>>degenerated to nearly empty marketing hulks, and that to
>>the end-user non-proprietary has become synonymous with
>>Wintel.
>>
>>Take care,
>>
>>--
>>Stefaan
>>--
>>"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

It's the $. (.) it is not the technology. (.) market forces win, M$ gots
lots O' bucks so does Intel... PA-RISC and PowerPC could wack most CPU's
that are out there now but they can't afford to exploit it. So you go w/
the least common factor, the hardware. If companies would stop thinking
about next quarter and think about (the) next year(s) we would all be
better off because we could have good choices to accomplish what we need
to do instead of having to "make something fit" for the job. nuff said,
cheers fs

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:28:53 GMT
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

> >That hasn't been the case with SCSI for a very long time.
> >The idea that disk drives were built for a particular computer
> >line effectively died with the SMD interface in the late 1970ies.
> >

> Not quite true. Companies like EMC and StorageTek, to name two, manage
> to cobble up their proprietary hardware to eliminate the possibility of
> using any SCSI drive except their own branded drives burned with special
> EMC or StorageTek, respectively, firmware.

There's an acceptable reason for that - both manufacture
intelligent storage subsystems, and the requirements are
quite specific. Plus, of course, their typical customer would
have a service contract so the price and/or ease of second
sourcing doesn't enter into it.
That being said, most suppliers modify (or at least put
their logo/name) SCSI firmware, but it hardly ever causes
major problems (I once had to reformat a Compaq SCSI disk
to get rid of its 510 byte sector size. It came from one of
their storage arrays, IIRC. It's still running in a Sun as
we post :)

> Even Intel underestimated this with its lame Itanic.

Plus, of course, they and all the workstation manufacturers
underestimated the need for 64 bit address spaces. Even now,
the vast majority of applications runs handsomely in 32 bits.

> As far as Windows goes, I really appreciate the strong stand taken by
> Mario Monti and his band of merry men against Microsoft. (Are they so
> merry? Probably they are pretty dour.)

The inside joke is that they fined MS roughly what they've
paid them in license fees. For all its bluster, the Commission
is a Microsoft fan, and it costs them dearly too. The last
three weeks their Exchange servers have been overloaded, and
mostly unable to accept incoming mail.

> Linux on the desktop is getting better and better, and enough
> companies and enterprises are totally pissed off with Microsoft that
> they are considering or implementing Linux alternatives, sometimes at
> great initial cost.

That's not really a correct assessment. If the costs are huge,
it is because IT staff has been hopelessly dumbed down since
the appearance of MS in the datacentre. Management bought lock,
stock and barrel into MS' marketing hype that managing Windows
was easy, and didn't require competent staff. In addition, the
ever-changing Wintel hardware makes it very difficult to image
an OS installation to new PCs. I know of an organisation that
entered into a contract with Dell for the supply of thousands
of PCs over a three year period _provided all the drivers
remained stable_. After a year, Dell had to resign the contract
because they could no longer source the required components.
Plus, of course, Microsoft lacks the equivalent of Sun's
Jumpstart, which allows one to install a new Sun by simply
plugging it in.

> We may have differences, semantic or otherwise, about what is
> proprietary and what is not...

but we clearly agree Windows is part of the problem, not
part of the solution :)

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--
"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

IT organizations also bought into the hype and sorry implementation of
WordBasic, VB scripts, Word and Excel macros, .NET and all the other Micro$oft
tommyrot that locks people into the Microsoft way of doing things. Using
OpenOffice, one can produce documents, spreadsheets, and presentations which are
largely compatible with Word .DOCs, Excel .XLSs, and PowerPoint PPTs. But now
add in the dependence on the other stuff, and one ends up with an extremely
expensive conversion and retraining project just to get people up and running
with OpenOffice (or StarOffice or AnyOtherOffice)... Ben

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:16:18 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu>
wrote:

> [...]
>entered into a contract with Dell for the supply of thousands
>of PCs over a three year period _provided all the drivers
>remained stable_. After a year, Dell had to resign the contract
>because they could no longer source the required components.
>Plus, of course, Microsoft lacks the equivalent of Sun's
>Jumpstart, which allows one to install a new Sun by simply
>plugging it in.
>
>> We may have differences, semantic or otherwise, about what is
>> proprietary and what is not...
>
>but we clearly agree Windows is part of the problem, not
>part of the solution :)
>
>Take care,
>
>--
>Stefaan
>--
>"What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:37:55 -0400, Alan D Johnson <adjtech@usadatanet.net>
wrote:

<SNIP>

>It's the $. (.) it is not the technology. (.) market forces win, M$ gots
>lots O' bucks so does Intel... PA-RISC and PowerPC could wack most CPU's
>that are out there now but they can't afford to exploit it. So you go w/
>the least common factor, the hardware. If companies would stop thinking
>about next quarter and think about (the) next year(s) we would all be
>better off because we could have good choices to accomplish what we need
>to do instead of having to "make something fit" for the job. nuff said,
>cheers fs

It is human nature to focus on the short term, the here and now. It is rare to
find people with the self-discipline and imagination to think about any aspect
of life a year or two or three years or more in the future... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:37:55 -0400, Alan D Johnson <adjtech@usadatanet.net>
> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>It's the $. (.) it is not the technology. (.) market forces win, M$ gots
>>lots O' bucks so does Intel... PA-RISC and PowerPC could wack most CPU's
>>that are out there now but they can't afford to exploit it. So you go w/
>>the least common factor, the hardware. If companies would stop thinking
>>about next quarter and think about (the) next year(s) we would all be
>>better off because we could have good choices to accomplish what we need
>>to do instead of having to "make something fit" for the job. nuff said,
>>cheers fs
>>

> It is human nature to focus on the short term, the here and now. It is rare to
> find people with the self-discipline and imagination to think about any aspect
> of life a year or two or three years or more in the future... Ben Myers

Been working on this stuff too long to think short term, unfortunately
all of the "managers" and decision makers don't have the depth that is
needed to look at the long run instead of the here and now.