help with network

Hope someone can help with my problem. It'll be obvious I have no clue
regarding networking, but I'll give it a go --- Connected to my main PC I
have a linksys ADSL gateway WAG54G. I'm trying to get my Laptop to connect
to the network. The laptop has intel Centrino (802.11b)

some details from my admin page http://192.168.1.1/ From main PC

Wireless Netwrok mode - Mixed
Wireless channel - 11
Wireless SSID -enabled

Now, on my laptop, Wireless Network shows no connection. If I go into
properties of Wireless Network it states that there is no available
network.

Why is my laptop unable to see my network?

both machines using winXP.
Hope someone can help

Thanks

Joe

> Now, on my laptop, Wireless Network shows no connection. If I go into
> properties of Wireless Network it states that there is no available
> network.
>
> Why is my laptop unable to see my network?

I'm no wizard, but can offer a couple tips. Very first I'd take the
laptop to a 'known good' network - ANY Starbucks coffee, Kinkos,
Borders Books, and a zillion other places to make sure the laptop
isn't at fault. Right click on the 'wireless networking' icon in the
system tray of your laptop - does it show ANY network when in
your WiFi area? Check this at the known 'good' place too. At
least you'll be able to isolate if the problem is in the laptop
drivers or the access point drivers... that's a start.

Dave

> I'm no wizard, but can offer a couple tips. Very first I'd take the
> laptop to a 'known good' network - ANY Starbucks coffee, Kinkos,
> Borders Books, and a zillion other places to make sure the laptop
> isn't at fault. Right click on the 'wireless networking' icon in the
> system tray of your laptop - does it show ANY network when in
> your WiFi area? Check this at the known 'good' place too. At
> least you'll be able to isolate if the problem is in the laptop
> drivers or the access point drivers... that's a start.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave,
That;s a great idea. I'll give it a go. Hopefully there isn't a hardware
problem.