Computer running a little slow

I have tried to figure this out from other posts but
can't seem to find the same problem. My computer closes
windows very slow,but also in sections,if you know what I
mean. A window may take six sections out one at a time
before it is completely closed, like in blocks. Sometimes
the outer edge of a picture or a frame closes and leaves
behind black boarders before it fully closes.Any ideas?
The other thing is it takes forever for my programs to
close along the task bar, and if I have two or three open
in the task bar my computer seems to get slower and
slower until I close the opened programs or web sites in
my task bar, then it seems to pick up speed again.
I have windows xp SP2,Norton Internet security 2004,which
I heard could be a problem?? Can anyone help me out on
this,
Thanks in advance
Linda
3 answers Last reply
More about computer running slow

    Linda wrote:
    > Processor 1300 megahertz Intell Pentium 111. 32 kilobyte
    > primary memory cache, 256 kilobytes memory cache.
    > Local Drive Volumes
    > c:(on drive o)52.68GB 36.65 GB free
    > d: (on drive o) 7.33GB 4.32 GB free
    >
    > 60.01 gigabytes usable hard drive capacity
    > 40.97 gigabytes Hard drive free space.
    > I have NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64 pro
    > System Model Compaq Presario 5420CA
    > I run Norton Internet security 2004 check for viruses at
    > least once a week, I run adaware and spybot at least once
    > a week, I clean up temp internet files daily and clean up
    > cookies, defrag scandisk for errors weekly. I have
    > uninstalled programs I don't use any more, I get all
    > windows updates, I haven't updated or got new drivers for
    > my display adapter yet but I will look into that now,
    > hope this is enough information for you, if not let me
    > know, Thanks for your time

    Well, I still don't know how much RAM (memory) you have - I know your
    processor has 256K cache. - but that really doesn't help in the hard drive
    swappage arena too much.

    How much memory does your PC have? 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB or 1GB or
    more/less?

    Personally - for now - I would uninstalled Norton (Symantec) Internet
    Security - leaving Norton AV. Also, when you see this slowness, press
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and look through the processes tab (organize by CPU, see what
    is taking up the most and then organize by memory and do the same there.)
    Look in your event log - see if there are any erroneous events.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I first had to
    find out where to check for memory/ram these are the
    numbers I can find
    256 memory (Ram)
    I also found this part and It says
    C: 52.68 GB
    C: 35.65 GB Free
    D: 7.33 GB
    D: 4.32 Free
    I also found these numbers, I don't know if these are of
    importance
    Used-17.5 GB
    Free - 38.13
    Physical memory available to windows 261,496K
    Hopefully you can make sense out of this. I am pretty new
    at this but I am very willing to learn how to correct
    things if I can
    Thanks , You have been great
    Linda

    ultimately
    >responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
    what you are

    anonymous wrote:
    > Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I first had to
    > find out where to check for memory/ram these are the
    > numbers I can find
    > 256 memory (Ram)
    > I also found this part and It says
    > C: 52.68 GB
    > C: 35.65 GB Free
    > D: 7.33 GB
    > D: 4.32 Free
    > I also found these numbers, I don't know if these are of
    > importance
    > Used-17.5 GB
    > Free - 38.13
    > Physical memory available to windows 261,496K
    > Hopefully you can make sense out of this. I am pretty new
    > at this but I am very willing to learn how to correct
    > things if I can

    Did you ever uninstall Norton Internet Security?
    Did you try some of the other adware/spyware scanners I listed - as well as
    immunizing the PC?
    Also - Belarc Advisor (mentioned in the the first part of that long text)
    can give you a TON of system information really quickly.

    Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and looking under the Performance tab shows you what
    percentage of the porcessor and what amount of RAM is being used WHEN you
    are experiencing the slowness?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Computers Microsoft Windows XP