deepblueman

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I M JUST ABOUT TO BUY AN AMD 2800+ A COUPLE OF 512 DDR MEMORY FROM CORSAIR THE LIQUID SYSTEM FROM INNOVATEK AND THE ASUS A7N8X. BUT BEFORE I SPEND ALL THIS MONEY I NEED TO KNOW ONE THING: WILL I BE ABLE WITH THIS MOTHERBOARD TO GET A HIGHER FREQUENCY FROM THE PROCESSOR (BY JUST INCEASING THE MULTIPLIER OR THE FSB CLOCK) JUST LIKE THE KT400 MOTHERBOARDS DO? IF SO,..THEN WHAT IN YOUR OPINION WOULD BE THE HIGHEST FREQUENCY I COULD HAVE USING THE INNOVATEK LIQUID SYSTEM? AS YOU HAVE GUESSED THE ONLY REASON I'M ASKING THIS IS CAUSE THE MOTHEBOARD IS BASED ON NFORCE CHIPSET AND I'VE NO IDEA WHETHER IT'LL DO THE TRICK LIKE THE KT400 DOES IT!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by deepblueman on 12/02/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
pretty sure it doesn't do it like the kt400s do.i think you would have to do the unlocking manually-some say the t'breds can be unlocked by the old pencil trick but if not the slightly more complicated way it is done on palominos is detailed in a tutorial on THG.search for it.
under that kind of cooling once you have done the unlocking (i'm not 100% sure that the nforce 2 doesn't do it for you) you could get some serious oc'ing out of that thing (not that it won't be extremely fast anyway).the 2800 is at 13 isn't it so you could go at least 15 i reckon AND push the fsb up maybe(? i think the a7n8x can go up to 400fb can't it).
please tell me if the nforce 2 does the unlocking itself coz i am planning to get one and it would be very helpful to know for sure.
have fun coz that is one helluva system you are getting

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
It is more important to have a faster FSB than higher CPU multiplier. That is, a 266MHz FSB AMD processor at 2GHz is slower than a 333MHz FSB AMD processor at 2GHz. It would be better to pick the XP 2400+ processor and then overclock the FSB.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
yeah but if he can afford a 2800 he should get one coz it already has a 333fsb whereas he would have to push the 2400 up just to get there, endangering his stability in the process coz of the strain on the pci and agp etc.he should at least get a 333fsb processor to start with.The 2700 is a good bet because it is $50 cheaper than the 2800 and can oc almost as far.

deepblueman

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
glad u guys gave me some answers like 20 minutes after i posted this,...BUT the pencil trick...its wrong ...works for palomino + thrb A cores, for thrb B cores i know for sure that overclocking decisions are made entirely upon motherboard choice and cooling solution, now in this case we also know cooling is covered otherwise innovatek may as well sue me on grounds of insanity, and to clarify my question on the asus A7N8X... can i achieve overclocking throung ANY bios settings, i guess i need a simple answer hopefully like SURE U CAN/OF COURSE/I DONT SEE WHY NOT, cause once i get hold of that baby ill figure out what specifically ill be playing with in the bios.
HERE'S SOMETHING INTERESTING: WHAT WILL BECOME OF US (AMD FANS) WHEN MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURERS THROW 8OO SPEED CHIPSETS FOR HT P4 PROCESSORS AND DUALL DDR TO OUR FACES! PLEASE TRY TO BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT UR VIEWS

IF ITS NOT A RIGHT ANGLE ITS A WRONG ANGLE

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
yeah but if he can afford a 2800 he should get one coz it already has a 333fsb whereas he would have to push the 2400 up just to get there, endangering his stability in the process coz of the strain on the pci and agp etc.he should at least get a 333fsb processor to start with.The 2700 is a good bet because it is $50 cheaper than the 2800 and can oc almost as far.
Good point. But the motherboard that he mentioned automatically keeps the PCI frequency at/below 34MHz no matter how high one sets the FSB. And the AGP bus is completely independant from the FSB also. That is, you can select whichever AGP bus speed you desire. This looks like an overclocker's setup, and it would be better to go with the 2400+ and overclock by increasing the FSB.

deepblueman

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
MY SWEEDISH FRIEND IS RIGHT ABOUT THE INDEPENDENT FREQUENCY ADVANTAGES OF THIS MOTHERBOARD YET,...I CAN HAVE THE 2800+ AND THERE HAS GOT TO BE A WAY TO GO FURTHER WHILE WITH THE 2400+ SO FURTHER IS NOT POSSIBLE OR DEMANDS CRYO COOLING AND KNOWLEDGE I DO NOT HAVE!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by deepblueman on 12/02/02 01:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
fair enough-i didn't know that about the a7n8x.well you have made me want one even more now if i can get away with that.is fixing the pci and agp bus a feature of the nforce 2 chipset or that board?ideally i would like to get a cheaper nforce 2 board you see.Cheers.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
fair enough-i didn't know that about the a7n8x.well you have made me want one even more now if i can get away with that.is fixing the pci and agp bus a feature of the nforce 2 chipset or that board?ideally i would like to get a cheaper nforce 2 board you see.Cheers.
I'm not too familiar with the non-Asus nforce2 motherboards. If I can find more info on that, i'll provide it to you.

Regalk2

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
Using the A7N8X for just under 2 weeks now. It automatically unlocked my Tbred 1700+ (no manual unlocking necessary)
I run the 1700+ at 186 x 10.5 = 1955
Using Crucial PC2100 Dual DDR Sandra 2818/2659
PCMark2002 5020

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I believe it automatically unclocked my t-bred 1800+ also, seems to recognize it as a 2000+. I don't know alot about overclocking and multipliers and everything, but the bios is set for the proper bus speed, *133* and everything,

deepblueman

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
im glad to hear that both of u have ended up with higher frequencies (proved under benchmarking or not) with the asus a7n8x, but i cannot use ur examples as reference to my problem as the processors u guys have have a thrbd A (up to 2400+) core while mine has a thrbd B core (from 2400+ up to 3000+). Thanks again anyway!

IF ITS NOT A RIGHT ANGLE ITS A WRONG ANGLE

namgorf

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay bro, I have an XP 2400+ tBredB.

The A7N8X will not allow me to change the multiplier at all. I just upgraded from an A7V333, I had the PCU running just fine at 13x166 giving me 2170 with 333 bus, the same as the XP 2700+. With the memory, corsair 2700 cas 2.0, and the CPU in snych, I got great scores.

I was disappointed to say the least. I should hope a future BIOS revision will address this, but who knows. It is my understanding that if you manually unlock the cpu, in the traditional style using the conductive silver, it should allow for adjustment.

As of now, I have the FSB at 150 for the CPU and RAM. I set the vcore to 1.75 as well. I set the memory timings to completly insane levels since it was underclocked. In SiSoft Sandra I'm getting about 2300/2200 MB/s so it's only a minor improvment over my KT333 @ 166. I look forward to seeing this thing at 333/333. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at chuck@namgorf.com

"...and remember, when you touch yourself, the saints cry."

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
why are you <A HREF="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame33.html" target="_new"><font color=red>SHOUTING</font color=red></A>?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>