Lost : "My Documents & Favorites"

Geo

Yesterday i upgraded my system from Microsoft ME to XP.
After the installation The My Documents folder and
Favorites folders did not contain any of the files that
had been resident in ME. It's as though XP had assigned a
new profile, with a new name, and lost the old one. In ME
I had my wifes deleted profile and mine which did not have
a name. Xp now contains her old profile sans any files.
The biggest issue (with my wife) is that 4 years of family
pictures are gone. I've done a complete search of the hard
drive partitions by file name and even a *.jpeg and come
up blank. Anyone with ideas on how to find these files in
XP? If I uninstall XP will I find the files in ME or did
XP erase them??

Missing Data or Program Settings After Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312942&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Geo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday i upgraded my system from Microsoft ME to XP.
> After the installation The My Documents folder and
> Favorites folders did not contain any of the files that
> had been resident in ME. It's as though XP had assigned a
> new profile, with a new name, and lost the old one. In ME
> I had my wifes deleted profile and mine which did not have
> a name. Xp now contains her old profile sans any files.
> The biggest issue (with my wife) is that 4 years of family
> pictures are gone. I've done a complete search of the hard
> drive partitions by file name and even a *.jpeg and come
> up blank. Anyone with ideas on how to find these files in
> XP? If I uninstall XP will I find the files in ME or did
> XP erase them??

Geo

us;312942&Product=winxp

>--
>Mary Sauer MS MVP
>http://office.microsoft.com/
>http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
>"Geo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Yesterday i upgraded my system from Microsoft ME to XP.
>> After the installation The My Documents folder and
>> Favorites folders did not contain any of the files that
>> had been resident in ME. It's as though XP had
assigned a
>> new profile, with a new name, and lost the old one. In
ME
>> I had my wifes deleted profile and mine which did not
have
>> a name. Xp now contains her old profile sans any files.
>> The biggest issue (with my wife) is that 4 years of
family
>> pictures are gone. I've done a complete search of the
hard
>> drive partitions by file name and even a *.jpeg and
come
>> up blank. Anyone with ideas on how to find these files
in
>> XP? If I uninstall XP will I find the files in ME or
did
>> XP erase them??
>

>.
>Mary,
Sorry but that I can't seem to access that address. I've
typed and rechecked it several times but no luck....

I am having exactly the same problem...The workaround
suggested by the person who replied to you didn't result
in my finding the missing documents...did you have any
luck?

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:29:45 -0700, kestelwoman wrote:

> I am having exactly the same problem...The workaround
> suggested by the person who replied to you didn't result
> in my finding the missing documents...did you have any
> luck?

Windows 9x/ME stored My Documents and Favorites in a different location
than XP does.

For a single user system, look for My Documents in the Windows folder:
C:\Windows\My Documents

If user profiles were used, there will be a subfolder under Windows
containing more subfolders - each with a user profile name attached to it.

If forgot where Favorites were stored in Windows 9x/ME. Try the Application
Data subfolders inside the Windows folder. When/if you find the missing
items, move them to the folders for the appropriate user account:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents
for data files and
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Favorites
for Favorites

If your Windows XP and Documents and Settings folder are on a drive other
than C:, replace that part of the path with the appropriate drive letter.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User