Sign in with
Your question

Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander FA

Last response: in Video Games
January 24, 2008 9:39:01 PM

Thoughts/Opinions?
January 24, 2008 11:22:38 PM

SC is a good game, SC:FA improves on SC in almost every way. Above all patch them both to the latest versions SC v3280 SC:FA v3598 as of Jan24/08. You will need a fast machine to get the most out of these two. Dual core cpu and 7800gtx or better if you want to do two screens at once @ 1280x960 all details high except shadows (not tried with high shadow so can't tell you the performance hit if any) I'm running with an e6600 o/c 2.4 to 2.8/ 4gigs 1066ddr2 and 8800GT. Can host 6 player game easily, no lag.
January 25, 2008 4:18:30 PM

Best RTS ever made...Total Annihilation. SC is Total Annihilation on steroids. Even better.
Related resources
January 25, 2008 6:13:46 PM

Possibly my favourite game of all time.. certainly the best RTS I have ever played. The sheer scale of the game and the way that you can really employ tactics have made my appreciation for the C&C series diminish entirely.

The only flaw comes in the fact that on my friends rig, which much more modern than my own, the game crashes about 45 minutes in, regardless of using a 3g patch. This makes the option of playing over lan much less common for me. However once a lan game does get going... man.. its great.
January 25, 2008 8:52:11 PM

I think it's one of the best games ever made. I love it because it is such a challenge when playing against other human players and it requires you to plan ahead, think strategically, and think tactically. Couldn't ask for more.
January 25, 2008 11:35:38 PM

Still harsh on the cpu and ram.
January 26, 2008 11:26:00 AM

and will continue to be for quite a while yet....
January 26, 2008 3:08:45 PM

Both of those are correct. Its a toss up between CPU usesage and fun LOL.

Actually tbf its only a killer in single player mode on the CPU since it has to do all the AI calcs which murder the proc. A pentium 4 3.4ghz can handle it fine with MP with loads of units, certainly with 2 players, not sure about more. Basically the AI kills procs. Aslong as you have 3gb+ of ram you should be ok! :D 
January 26, 2008 3:16:40 PM

pongrules said:
Best RTS ever made...Total Annihilation. SC is Total Annihilation on steroids. Even better.

Evilonigiri said:
Still harsh on the cpu and ram.

These two -,-
January 26, 2008 5:30:08 PM

Supcom is an overrated waste of money when there is a much better game, just like it... for free.

There is a game (more of a game engine) called Spring which originated as a 3d recreation of Total Annihilation (predecessor to SupCom).

Spring consists of user created mods/games. 90% of them are based of off TA, while other include WWII, starwars and other rts mods. Spring is open source and is constantly being expanded upon by the people who play it. Not to mention you will often find your self playing along with the original developers.

SupCom
Pros over Spring:
Better graphics than spring...

Spring
Pros over SupCom:
-Hundreds of user-made maps
-Countless usermade games/mods
-Better community
-Controlled by the community, every user can have a big influence on mods and updates, because those making them play the game also.
-Ability to help create the game: Everyone is able to create their own maps and mods (requires time and effort ofcourse). Its always nice seeing things you invested hours into being played by many people in the lobby.

If your interested you can read about/get spring at spring.clan-sy.com
January 28, 2008 1:09:00 PM

your having a laugh sup.com. is tops, only the legions of noobs online who disconnect 2 minutes after a game have started spoil it.
January 28, 2008 6:52:49 PM

Arkive said:
Supcom is an overrated waste of money when there is a much better game, just like it... for free.

There is a game (more of a game engine) called Spring which originated as a 3d recreation of Total Annihilation (predecessor to SupCom).

Spring consists of user created mods/games. 90% of them are based of off TA, while other include WWII, starwars and other rts mods. Spring is open source and is constantly being expanded upon by the people who play it. Not to mention you will often find your self playing along with the original developers.

SupCom
Pros over Spring:

Spring
Pros over SupCom:
-Better community
-Controlled by the community, every user can have a big influence on mods and updates, because those making them play the game also.
-Ability to help create the game: Everyone is able to create their own maps and mods (requires time and effort ofcourse). Its always nice seeing things you invested hours into being played by many people in the lobby.

So you've played SupCom? I didn't think so. Overrated, waste of money? Puhleease. Those mods were good...before SupCom came out. SupCom is almost an entirely new game in terms of graphics, strategy and gameplay.
January 29, 2008 4:20:36 AM

Arkive said:

SupCom
Pros over Spring:

Spring
Pros over SupCom:
-Better community

^^^^
Sounds to me like some hokey advertisement for a crappy online game to steal your identity!!! lmao!
January 31, 2008 10:47:39 PM

pongrules said:
So you've played SupCom? I didn't think so. Overrated, waste of money? Puhleease. Those mods were good...before SupCom came out. SupCom is almost an entirely new game in terms of graphics, strategy and gameplay.

Tell me, have you ever played one single team game in supcom that lasts under 2 hours? (If no one quits)

Have you ever tried spring and its community?

Supcom is boring in my opinion, because its one game. Spring is multiple. Yes, supcom is "almost an entirely new game in terms of graphics, strategy, and gameplay." However, if new graphics, strategy, and gameplay changes are what you wanted, download a new mod for spring. I could always say "The WWII mod is almost an entirely new game in terms of graphics, strategy, and gameplay as compared to BOTA (mod called Basically Original Total Annihilation.).

Now for graphics

Spring:
http://game.sibnet.ru/data/screenshot/TASpring2.jpg

Supcom:
http://www.skoar.com/images/13sc4.jpg

Supcom's variety in gameplay consists of... a remake of OTA gameplay.

Spring has far better variety of games with drastic gameplay differences. Spring has mods based off of OTA, Starwars, WWII, Gundam, Medieval times, and more. It also has mods which differ from any other RTS out there. Every single mod has far different strategy, visuals, gameplay... and all of it is free. Don't bash spring until you have even tried it. Once you go to spring and get into its active modding, mapping, and overall choice, Supcom turns into nothing but a game which is just the equivalent of one well made spring mod.
February 1, 2008 3:17:35 AM

I just bought SupCom and FA 2 days ago and havent had much time to play it, but I have enjoyed the little I have played it. I may have to give this spring thing a try as I have not hurd of it. Considering I payed $45 for SupCom and FA together (I have a friend that works at gamestop) it was a pretty good buy for me. I love the fact that you dont need the cd to play it.

Best,

3Ball
February 1, 2008 7:10:09 PM

Arkive said:

Don't bash spring until you have even tried it. Once you go to spring and get into its active modding, mapping, and overall choice, Supcom turns into nothing but a game which is just the equivalent of one well made spring mod.

I didn't actually bash Spring as much as defend SupCom. To each their own I guess.

I will admit, however, that I have not tried Spring, but based on your description it does sound worth a try. I will report back when I've given it a try.
February 3, 2008 11:42:02 AM

3Ball said:
I just bought SupCom and FA 2 days ago and havent had much time to play it, but I have enjoyed the little I have played it. I may have to give this spring thing a try as I have not hurd of it. Considering I payed $45 for SupCom and FA together (I have a friend that works at gamestop) it was a pretty good buy for me. I love the fact that you dont need the cd to play it.

Best,

3Ball

Yeah not needing the cd is surprinsingly a huge plus. For once u can just click an icon and go without arsing around with jewel cases.
February 3, 2008 5:38:39 PM

spoonboy said:
Yeah not needing the cd is surprinsingly a huge plus. For once u can just click an icon and go without arsing around with jewel cases.

Yea its amazing how it doesnt bother me to put a different CD in my consoles, but when I need to put a CD into my PC I pretty much just say eh...I will just play whatever I have in there. lol

Best,

3Ball
February 4, 2008 4:22:54 PM

lol, quick game of battlefield and then some sup.com. :-)
!